Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Nov 13, 2013
11:08:50 AM
View profile
Long-time series record settings changed from HD to SD.

How did this happwn?

How did this happwn?

Long-time series record settings changed from HD to SD.

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 12:36:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I can't even imagine how this would happen, since the channel numbers would be different.

Any more details?

I can't even imagine how this would happen, since the channel numbers would be different.

Any more details?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Long-time series record settings changed from HD to SD.

2 of 23 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 1:19:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
gillenr - Please post the channel you are refering to & what you base the assertion on.
gillenr - Please post the channel you are refering to & what you base the assertion on.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 23 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 7:34:05 AM
(0)
Mentor

Never seen it on any net but CBS - NCIS, NCIS LA & Hawaii 50.

Never seen it on any net but CBS - NCIS, NCIS LA & Hawaii 50.

4 of 23 (550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 7:39:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

So... you had series record set up for channel 10xx (I don't know what channel your local CBS affiliate is on) and it was working, but now your series record is set up for channel 0xx for this same program?

So... you had series record set up for channel 10xx (I don't know what channel your local CBS affiliate is on) and it was working, but now your series record is set up for channel 0xx for this same program?

5 of 23 (549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 6:33:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes - ch 1002.

Yes - ch 1002.

6 of 23 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 7:07:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You used to have the recordings on 1002, but now they're suddenly on 002.  Is that right?

You used to have the recordings on 1002, but now they're suddenly on 002.  Is that right?

7 of 23 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 10:44:14 AM
(0)
Mentor

yes

yes

8 of 23 (500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 7:34:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's the first time I've ever heard of that.  Keep my ears open, though.

I my house, I'd suspect someone else of changing the setting to make for more record space.  Smiley Wink

That's the first time I've ever heard of that.  Keep my ears open, though.

I my house, I'd suspect someone else of changing the setting to make for more record space.  Smiley Wink

9 of 23 (479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 1:16:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Nov 19, 2013 at 1:19:37 PM

gillenr wrote:

How did this happwn?

I also have never seen this happen.  Can you look in your list of Series recordings to see if two NCIS's show up (one on 1002 and one on 2)?  The reason that I ask is that once in a while, a perfectly good series, stops recording.  You have to set up a new one.  Could it be that that the HD one stopped working and someone else set up a new one, on SD?  One of the weaknesses of the U-Verse DVR is the ability to edit the channel # on a series recording.  So, I don';t think it could change, on its own.

gillenr wrote:

How did this happwn?

I also have never seen this happen.  Can you look in your list of Series recordings to see if two NCIS's show up (one on 1002 and one on 2)?  The reason that I ask is that once in a while, a perfectly good series, stops recording.  You have to set up a new one.  Could it be that that the HD one stopped working and someone else set up a new one, on SD?  One of the weaknesses of the U-Verse DVR is the ability to edit the channel # on a series recording.  So, I don';t think it could change, on its own.

[ Edited ]
10 of 23 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 8:53:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

Checked all you mentioned & OK.

11 of 23 (430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 1:10:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:18:10 PM

gillenr wrote:

What is OK?  If you checked the series recordings that are now only ones on channel "2" and you do not see any for "1002" I would have to think that it never was recorded on 1002 in the first place or someone started a new series recording on 2 and deleted the 1002 one.

AFAIK - The only way of changing the channel for a recorded program is on the back end, at AT&T.  For instance lets say that the imaginary American Horror Network" is on channel 145.  AT&T wants to move it to channel 171.  They can edit it and change it - but they change it for all users.  If the channel 1002 shows were changed to be recorded on channel 2, we would be hearing from more than one person, lol.

I'm sorry but your posts have been just a bit (Bob Eucker voice) short on details.  We're not 100% sure what you are asking.  Are you actually saying the channel # changed OR is what you are saying is that the Picture Quality looks like Standard Def and not HD?  If that is the case, then the station may had trouble with their HD equipment and substitued the SD picture on the HD channel.  THAT happens quite often!  Not an AT&T issue, but a station/channel issue.  Our local FOX station (59) has this issue in reverse.  Their SD picture is often unwatchable.  They try to cram the HD picture on the SD channel and the picture is far too wide.

gillenr wrote:

What is OK?  If you checked the series recordings that are now only ones on channel "2" and you do not see any for "1002" I would have to think that it never was recorded on 1002 in the first place or someone started a new series recording on 2 and deleted the 1002 one.

AFAIK - The only way of changing the channel for a recorded program is on the back end, at AT&T.  For instance lets say that the imaginary American Horror Network" is on channel 145.  AT&T wants to move it to channel 171.  They can edit it and change it - but they change it for all users.  If the channel 1002 shows were changed to be recorded on channel 2, we would be hearing from more than one person, lol.

I'm sorry but your posts have been just a bit (Bob Eucker voice) short on details.  We're not 100% sure what you are asking.  Are you actually saying the channel # changed OR is what you are saying is that the Picture Quality looks like Standard Def and not HD?  If that is the case, then the station may had trouble with their HD equipment and substitued the SD picture on the HD channel.  THAT happens quite often!  Not an AT&T issue, but a station/channel issue.  Our local FOX station (59) has this issue in reverse.  Their SD picture is often unwatchable.  They try to cram the HD picture on the SD channel and the picture is far too wide.

[ Edited ]
12 of 23 (415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 9:17:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'll try to say it as simply as possible for you.

1) 3 program series record was set to channel 1002.

2) just recently - for two weeks - the playback was in SD & the info showed ch 2.

3) Checked series settings & they had not changed. I deleted & reset the series settings & so far so good.

4) It is much more likely a Uverse problem than a WBBM problem.

5) No one in the home changed anything - see #3!

2) just recently - for two weeks - the playback was in SD & the info showed ch 2.

3) Checked series settings & they had not changed. I deleted & reset the series settings & so far so good.

13 of 23 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 8:22:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Nov 22, 2013 at 8:41:31 AM

gillenr wrote:

How did you know originally that the recording was in SD?  i.e. what made you check?  As I have stated before, if the HD equipment at WBBM went bonkers they might substitute the SD.  HOWEVER: If the list of recorded programs shows 2 and you had set it to 1002, then that would be a problem.  See #3

Again, I have never heard of U-Verse changing a recorded series from an HD channel to a sub-1000 channel.  And no one else has reported this issue.  Could U-Verse be doing some testing on some new "smart" interface that would switch to SD when all of the HD streams were in use?  Who knows but doubtful.  This one will have to remain a mystery.

Thanks for providing much more specifics.

If you really wanted to investigate it, you could send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care.  The Social Media Team has access to all sorts of info from your DVR and servers could possibly let you know what happened.

gillenr wrote:

How did you know originally that the recording was in SD?  i.e. what made you check?  As I have stated before, if the HD equipment at WBBM went bonkers they might substitute the SD.  HOWEVER: If the list of recorded programs shows 2 and you had set it to 1002, then that would be a problem.  See #3

Again, I have never heard of U-Verse changing a recorded series from an HD channel to a sub-1000 channel.  And no one else has reported this issue.  Could U-Verse be doing some testing on some new "smart" interface that would switch to SD when all of the HD streams were in use?  Who knows but doubtful.  This one will have to remain a mystery.

Thanks for providing much more specifics.

If you really wanted to investigate it, you could send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care.  The Social Media Team has access to all sorts of info from your DVR and servers could possibly let you know what happened.

[ Edited ]
14 of 23 (381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 9:40:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

As I said before, it is a Uverse problem, & they will not own up & as usual, they will push it on the user.

When will they understand that som  of us have functioning brains & understand their strategy of obfuscation since most users are cluless.

In addition, their synchophants here will support them.

As I said before, it is a Uverse problem, & they will not own up & as usual, they will push it on the user.

When will they understand that som  of us have functioning brains & understand their strategy of obfuscation since most users are cluless.

15 of 23 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 5:45:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gillenr, all I've said is that I've never seen such behavior.

I've not (yet) said that the ocurrence you've described is so strange as to be completely out of character for the way this system works and therefore pretty much unbelievable as described (though it is).

No one here has called you any name (e.g. "syncophant").

When you describe something this strange, I'm afraid the burden of proof is on you.

gillenr, all I've said is that I've never seen such behavior.

I've not (yet) said that the ocurrence you've described is so strange as to be completely out of character for the way this system works and therefore pretty much unbelievable as described (though it is).

No one here has called you any name (e.g. "syncophant").

When you describe something this strange, I'm afraid the burden of proof is on you.

16 of 23 (345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 5:54:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I know Hawaii 5 O switched the night it airs on this season.  It's now on Friday evenings vs. Monday (I believe it was).  My DVR picked up the change and automatically moved my series recording to Friday AND kept the same channel so there must be some intelligence built into the algorithm somewhere. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

I know Hawaii 5 O switched the night it airs on this season.  It's now on Friday evenings vs. Monday (I believe it was).  My DVR picked up the change and automatically moved my series recording to Friday AND kept the same channel so there must be some intelligence built into the algorithm somewhere. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

17 of 23 (343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 6:00:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

gillenr wrote:

HEY NOW!  That's what you call profiling!  Smiley Mad

gillenr wrote:

18 of 23 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 9:22:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Nov 25, 2013 at 9:25:38 AM

skeeterintexas wrote:

gillenr wrote:

I was willing to listen and give the benefit of the doubt (of an obvious user end goof or non-issue in the first place)  until I read his/her first paragraph.  I'm out, lol.

skeeterintexas wrote:

gillenr wrote:

I was willing to listen and give the benefit of the doubt (of an obvious user end goof or non-issue in the first place)  until I read his/her first paragraph.  I'm out, lol.

[ Edited ]
19 of 23 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 9:31:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

gillenr wrote:

Perhaps we're all in sync so we ARE synchophants vs. sychophants.

And I'll admit it....I'm pretty clueless most of the time.

dhascall wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

gillenr wrote:

20 of 23 (319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 10:45:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

gillenr wrote:

We all must be clueless to the fact, that there are gremlins that get inside of our DVR and subtract 1,000 from the series recorded channel.  

skeeterintexas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

gillenr wrote:

We all must be clueless to the fact, that there are gremlins that get inside of our DVR and subtract 1,000 from the series recorded channel.  

21 of 23 (311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2013 5:55:03 PM
(0)
Voyager

Same problem here, and its even weirder than just the series changing from the SD to the HD.   My kids have several Disney channel shows that they have had series set for(some of them) a year or two.   This particular show "Jessie" is set to series record on 302(SD) first run only.  If I look at scheduled recordings, there is a Jessie set to record on Sunday(12/1) morning at 8:30am on Disney XD HD, which is channel 1304(a different Disney network and SD vs HD).  And then it gets even more weird.  If I look at Info on that particular Jessie scheduled recording, and select Series info, it gives me the series info for one of their other series - Crash and Bernstein on Disney XD HD(1304).  These mismatches just popped up in the past couple of days, but are all across at least their Disney shows(better not be my shows!  :-) )

I thought that maybe if I rebooted and then it downloaded the listings (which occurred about 1.5 hours after I power-cycled the DVR), maybe that would fix it.   But no affect, the damage appears done.   I've had a couple of other times in the past few months where it wasnt recording a series or recording the wrong time and I had to delete and recreate, but this is by far the biggest example of the series info getting corrupted.

Same problem here, and its even weirder than just the series changing from the SD to the HD.   My kids have several Disney channel shows that they have had series set for(some of them) a year or two.   This particular show "Jessie" is set to series record on 302(SD) first run only.  If I look at scheduled recordings, there is a Jessie set to record on Sunday(12/1) morning at 8:30am on Disney XD HD, which is channel 1304(a different Disney network and SD vs HD).  And then it gets even more weird.  If I look at Info on that particular Jessie scheduled recording, and select Series info, it gives me the series info for one of their other series - Crash and Bernstein on Disney XD HD(1304).  These mismatches just popped up in the past couple of days, but are all across at least their Disney shows(better not be my shows!  :-) )

I thought that maybe if I rebooted and then it downloaded the listings (which occurred about 1.5 hours after I power-cycled the DVR), maybe that would fix it.   But no affect, the damage appears done.   I've had a couple of other times in the past few months where it wasnt recording a series or recording the wrong time and I had to delete and recreate, but this is by far the biggest example of the series info getting corrupted.

22 of 23 (249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 1:29:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

drager21 wrote:

I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  They should be able to determine why this happened or escalate it, further.

drager21 wrote:

I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  They should be able to determine why this happened or escalate it, further.

23 of 23 (201 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments