Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 7, 2013
9:36:39 AM
Locate me and caller id

With the "Locate Me" feature, sure enough, the different numbers ring, but the caller id information presented is that of my home phone (the one that was called)  and not the phone number of the caller. Is it supposed to work that way?

With the "Locate Me" feature, sure enough, the different numbers ring, but the caller id information presented is that of my home phone (the one that was called)  and not the phone number of the caller. Is it supposed to work that way?

Locate me and caller id

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 9:48:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
marcindublin - The locate me feature is a call forward. We had some discussion on this a while back. I have to go out now, but will look for the post when I get back. I am thinking that it works the way you say - the home phone is starting a new call that has its own CID. The original CID is not forwarded.
marcindublin - The locate me feature is a call forward. We had some discussion on this a while back. I have to go out now, but will look for the post when I get back. I am thinking that it works the way you say - the home phone is starting a new call that has its own CID. The original CID is not forwarded.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Locate me and caller id

2 of 6 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 10:40:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks, Aviewer.

I'm so confused. I called AT&T support and they agreed that the CID as seen by the "locate me" devices will be that of the home phone, not the original caller. As I was preparing to cancel the service over this apparently stupid design flaw, I thought I'd try it one more time and now... I can't recreate the problem. It works exactly as you would expect it to work - with the CID of the caller showing up on all of the located devices. Honest to G-d, I didn't change anything!

I'll PM one of the reps on the forum and see if I can get a definitive answer about how it is supposed to work. In the meantime, if you get time and if you have any idea, please chime in. Caller id is a big deal to me and if it only ever shows MY number and not the number of the caller, it's a deal breaker.

Thanks, Aviewer.

I'm so confused. I called AT&T support and they agreed that the CID as seen by the "locate me" devices will be that of the home phone, not the original caller. As I was preparing to cancel the service over this apparently stupid design flaw, I thought I'd try it one more time and now... I can't recreate the problem. It works exactly as you would expect it to work - with the CID of the caller showing up on all of the located devices. Honest to G-d, I didn't change anything!

I'll PM one of the reps on the forum and see if I can get a definitive answer about how it is supposed to work. In the meantime, if you get time and if you have any idea, please chime in. Caller id is a big deal to me and if it only ever shows MY number and not the number of the caller, it's a deal breaker.

3 of 6 (302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 1:14:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
marcindublin - I found the thread I was thinking of - http://cingular.lithium.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/uverse-voice_features/message-id/... - It does not have anything concrete, but it reminds me that most of the problems are caused due to split responsibility. There is data applied by the call originator and there is info displayed at the called location hat is based on the original data. This is the responsibility of the provider at the ringing end. The two are further complicated by the call forwarding step.

I got my info from Wikipedia. It appears that there is always good and complete data at the originating end. The call forwarding does not remove any data. It does add a forwarded tag (& it appears the forwarding number). At the ringing end, the data is interpreted and enhanced by a data base lookup and forwarded to the called phone.

The opportunity for failure at this step includes basic software deciding which data to apply and inaccurate data found in the data base (because timely updates were not run in the background).

My summary conclusion is that unless U-verse is the provider for the called number, they are NOT responsible for what you see on the CID screen. Read the Wikipedia article for starters.

You are in Dublin, OH?? When I was working there I used to go to the Whole Foods, Trader Joe's & Chipotle Grill on the Dublin-Granville Rd. Fantastic Whole Foods location.
marcindublin - I found the thread I was thinking of - http://cingular.lithium.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/uverse-voice_features/message-id/4851/print-single-message/false/page/1 - It does not have anything concrete, but it reminds me that most of the problems are caused due to split responsibility. There is data applied by the call originator and there is info displayed at the called location hat is based on the original data. This is the responsibility of the provider at the ringing end. The two are further complicated by the call forwarding step.

I got my info from Wikipedia. It appears that there is always good and complete data at the originating end. The call forwarding does not remove any data. It does add a forwarded tag (& it appears the forwarding number). At the ringing end, the data is interpreted and enhanced by a data base lookup and forwarded to the called phone.

The opportunity for failure at this step includes basic software deciding which data to apply and inaccurate data found in the data base (because timely updates were not run in the background).

My summary conclusion is that unless U-verse is the provider for the called number, they are NOT responsible for what you see on the CID screen. Read the Wikipedia article for starters.

You are in Dublin, OH?? When I was working there I used to go to the Whole Foods, Trader Joe's & Chipotle Grill on the Dublin-Granville Rd. Fantastic Whole Foods location.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 4:20:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Happened across this write-up on caller ID with lots of good info - http://www.sandman.com/CallerIDbull.html
Kind of hard to follow what it says about forwarded calls. i think it says it is supposed to be the original number even though the called number would be better for answering service.

"When you forward a phone line, the Caller ID that shows up on the line the call has been forwarded to is normally the caller's number, not the number of the line that's forwarded. This means that just forwarding a phone line to the main line of an answering service is pretty much useless (the answering service won't know who they're answering for, but they'll have the Caller ID of the caller). This is supposed to be the way Caller ID works on a forwarded call.

There is a problem with this, though. Some phone companies don't care how it's supposed to work, and show the Caller ID of the forwarded line. How do you know how it will work in a specific case? You've got to try it. Calling the phone company is probably a waste of time. "

Also, read about non-telcos not keeping a good data base.
Happened across this write-up on caller ID with lots of good info - http://www.sandman.com/CallerIDbull.html
Kind of hard to follow what it says about forwarded calls. i think it says it is supposed to be the original number even though the called number would be better for answering service.

"When you forward a phone line, the Caller ID that shows up on the line the call has been forwarded to is normally the caller's number, not the number of the line that's forwarded. This means that just forwarding a phone line to the main line of an answering service is pretty much useless (the answering service won't know who they're answering for, but they'll have the Caller ID of the caller). This is supposed to be the way Caller ID works on a forwarded call.

There is a problem with this, though. Some phone companies don't care how it's supposed to work, and show the Caller ID of the forwarded line. How do you know how it will work in a specific case? You've got to try it. Calling the phone company is probably a waste of time. "

Also, read about non-telcos not keeping a good data base.

5 of 6 (261 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 6:29:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

I sent a private message to one of the AT&T reps on this board and they confirmed that the caller id that shows up will always be that of the originating caller, which is what you would expect.

So far, both this and the "Locate Me" function seem to be working as advertised.

I sent a private message to one of the AT&T reps on this board and they confirmed that the caller id that shows up will always be that of the originating caller, which is what you would expect.

So far, both this and the "Locate Me" function seem to be working as advertised.

6 of 6 (252 Views)