Lightning Protection

Lightning Protection

Hey all...my house got hit with a lightning strike the other day and I lost my RG and my main computer's NIC.  Could have been worse.  $11 later, I have a new NIC and a (refurb) RG.  Apparently the strike came in over the main uverse vdsl line and fried the RG and my NIC.  Does anyone know of a decent surge supressor for Cat5 cable?  Something like this maybe?

http://www.smarthome.com/48445/Panamax-MOD-CAT5-Gigabit-Ethernet-Signal-Line-Protection/p.aspx

Message 1 of 20
Professor

Re: Lightning Protection

With our house, we use a layered approach to surge protection.  We have a whole house surge protector on our main panel, then use surge protectors for equipment at each location for computers, living room a/v, bedroom, and downstairs for the RG & switch.

As for grounding, I have followed the 2011 NEC in regards to bonding the telephone NID & CATV ground block directly to the grounding rod outside through #10 going to the ground rod.  As for our panel, we know that our main water line is 100% Copper out to the street, so that even with the bonding of #8 from the main to the cold water, you should still have all other lines such as the hot water side, and gas lines bonded to a good grounding location, whether it is a Ufer ground, or 8 foot ground rod.  Some locations require two ground rods placed within six feet of each other, where you entrance feed for your POCO comes into the house.

As for responsibility of the house wiring, it is up to the home owner to make sure that it is up to code with the NEC/CEC or followed code requirements in your area, if they do not follow the NEC.  ATT is going to make sure that their system does not cause problems to your house, but if you do not make sure that your internal wiring is up to par, same with your POCO feed to the meter, all responsibility falls back to the person who owns the home, not the utility supplying the Internet/catv/telephone service.  If the Teleco/CATV determine that your home is causing problems on their plant to your neighbors, they will in a heartbeat, unhook your home from their plant, until you get signed off, that an electrician has verified through an inspection, that your home is safe and within code.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Well this is the second time  I have had lightning come through my house and blow out all my equipment.  It came through the ATT uverse box outside this time and ran through and blew up any thing that it was connected to.  I even use surge protectors on every piece of equipment that I own but that did not protect them from teh phone line.  Because this happend to me 10 years ago I actually had surge protectors that are designed to protect the phone line as well.  The first time this happened to us we just connected our cable box.  We had never had cable TV.  We also had ethernet ran through out the whole house. I was quickly educated that ethernet is not shielded and this is probably why it blew out only the things connected to the cable box.  WE had the complete package, Phone, Internet and TV.  Everhting that was connected was blown.   We just had the ATT uverse connected a few months ago.  Switching over to a better plan.  lightining came in through their box connected on the outside, blew out their battery backup and anything that was tied to the Internet, tv or phone for our services.  Just because something is covered under home owners insurance does nt mean that there is not money coming out of our pockets to replqace things.  Some things very very new.  I would lke to know how often this happens.  Why are they not putting in place protectors at the connection points.  I don't want ot invest in purchasing new eqiupment for all over my house again, going out of my pocket the deductable and what ever else will not be covered to replace this stuff and then it happnes all over again.  There is something wrong with the way the box outside is grounded for this to happen.  There is something very wrong with this and I think it happens a lot. 

Message 17 of 20
Employee

pcivoice wrote:

Well this is the second time  I have had lightning come through my house and blow out all my equipment.  It came through the ATT uverse box outside this time and ran through and blew up any thing that it was connected to.  I even use surge protectors on every piece of equipment that I own but that did not protect them from teh phone line.  Because this happend to me 10 years ago I actually had surge protectors that are designed to protect the phone line as well.  The first time this happened to us we just connected our cable box.  We had never had cable TV.  We also had ethernet ran through out the whole house. I was quickly educated that ethernet is not shielded and this is probably why it blew out only the things connected to the cable box.  WE had the complete package, Phone, Internet and TV.  Everhting that was connected was blown.   We just had the ATT uverse connected a few months ago.  Switching over to a better plan.  lightining came in through their box connected on the outside, blew out their battery backup and anything that was tied to the Internet, tv or phone for our services.  Just because something is covered under home owners insurance does nt mean that there is not money coming out of our pockets to replqace things.  Some things very very new.  I would lke to know how often this happens.  Why are they not putting in place protectors at the connection points.  I don't want ot invest in purchasing new eqiupment for all over my house again, going out of my pocket the deductable and what ever else will not be covered to replace this stuff and then it happnes all over again.  There is something wrong with the way the box outside is grounded for this to happen.  There is something very wrong with this and I think it happens a lot. 

There are several levels of protection in the line between the DSLAM/VRAD and your Set-Top boxes.

At each VRAD, there are gas-popper (Gas Discharge Tubes - GDTs) on the input and output to the Cross-Connect box (where the connection of the CO (the F1 pair) and the run to your home (the F2 pair)is made ... also called a "Cross box" or "Xbox".

At the grey box on the side of your house (the NID - Network Interface, aka Demarc ...) has a "primary protector", which is usually connected to the same ground as your power facilities, but can have its own ground rod if located far enough from the power entrance.

After the NID, the RG itself has a series of GDTs, one set for each of the UTP and Coax inputs from the NID.

The entire system, as both discreet devices and as a combined system, meets (or typically exceeds) requirements, as specified by federal, state, and local standards.

With the recent heat wave and the drought that many states are suffering, the grounding value of your ground rod may have been compromised (i.e., too much resistance/impedance to ground for the GDTs to be effective). Older ground rod connections can oxidize, with the oxidization acting as an insulator. The ground wire may have a sharp bend in ti, which also reduces the grounding efficiency.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong / be wrong with the grounding on the power, cable, and telco entrances. Sometimes they are equipment failures, sometimes it's an environmental issue, sometimes it's something the customer does or has done that affects the system as a whole. If you talk to AT&T, they will often investigate the damage and try to determine a specific cause.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 20
Highlighted
Teacher

Wireless is your best protection Smiley Happy

We had lighting strike couple weeks ago, pine tree next to the house. Took out the phone line, RG, both STB's(1tv). Everything that was connected via Cat5 is toast. Main computer fried, this one just needed nic. Lucky the power cord wasnt plugged in I guess.
Odds and ends in the house fried. Dont for get to add surge protector to garage door opener... I did. Needed new sensors and logic board.
Root from the pine tree blew up under the chicken coop heading for the house... could of had some fried chicken too.
Message 19 of 20
Contributor

New Uverse service. New Construction. Ufer Ground confirmed installed properly by inspector. 2 major storms with lighting and 2 Uverse outages in 2 weeks. The NID is powered by a UPS that is plugged into a GFCI outlet in our basement. The modem, router, surge protector, etc. are plugged into a separate GFCI outlet.

In both cases, all of the AT&T equipment was destroyed.

First incident: The GFCI outlet the damaged NID UPS was plugged into wasn't tripped. The GFCI the other AT&T damaged equipment was powered off of was destoyed but the associated breaker wasn't tripped. This equipment ties back to the NID via ethernet cables. No other equipment in our house was affected (at least not in the short term).

Second incident: Neither of the GFCI outlets was tripped. No breakers tripped. All AT&T equipment was destroyed. No other equipment in our house was affected (at least not in the short term).

All other neighbors with Uverse were effected similarly. None of our other neighbors had problems with their cable-based or DirectTV systems.

Message 20 of 20
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support