Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

I fell for the commercial, but didn't read the fine print.  I can't record as much as I could with TWC. 

 

More frustrating is that I have only had AT&T Uverse service for a little over a month and The Recording list is unavailable has happened to me a few times, and tonight it has been that way for hours.  It says it on all TVs, I have rebooted the boxes, and the access point.  No change.  I followed the troubleshooting steps in the help menu twice... no change.  And you know with all this rebooting my shows that I had scheduled to record tonight are not recording.  With TWC we had almost everything On Demand so it wouldn't be an issue... there is nothing we watch on demand with AT&T.  They have a small selection of networks, and even smaller list of shows on the ones they do have.

 

I don't have time to call AT&T tonight and have them make me do all things I have already done to get the same results.

 

The TV is freezing a lot, too.  This happens often.  Also, more often than not when we watch a program we recorded in the evening, it cuts out and we have to restart it... often from the beginning.  We have learned we have to stay off our laptops when watching a recorded program so it will work.  How pathetic!  I can't believe we left Time Warner for this headache of unrealiable and poor service. 

Message 1 of 16 (1,364 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

I guess you don't watch or record anything on CBS if you're going back to Time Warner.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 16 (1,352 Views)

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

I watch and record almost everything on CBS... which is why I want to go back to Time Warner.  I had all those shows On Demand with Time Warner.  With AT&T, I do not have ANYTHING from CBS - this network is not on AT&T On Demand for me. 

 

Wondering by your reply if this varies by location or something.  I am in NE Ohio. 

Message 3 of 16 (1,327 Views)

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

Oh, and there are just 2 of us in the house and we have already reached are limit on wireless connections... are you kidding me??? 

 

The sales guy promised us we would have more than enough capabilities with AT&T to handle everything in the house. I do not see how a family could manage.  We have cell phones, tablets, wireless printers, internet TV's, laptops (I work from home so have a couple myself), chromecast, Blue Rays, etc. and have reached our limit.  We have to log something out to log things in.  What would we do if we had kids?  How are those of you with families managing this????

 

And in the future there will only be more things that are wireless.  Why is there such a low limit on connections?  Did not have this prob with TWC either... had my own faster and better router that allowed as many as I wanted.

Message 4 of 16 (1,322 Views)
Expert

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful


slscanlon3 wrote:

 

I fell for the commercial, but didn't read the fine print.  I can't record as much as I could with TWC. 

 

More frustrating is that I have only had AT&T Uverse service for a little over a month and The Recording list is unavailable has happened to me a few times, and tonight it has been that way for hours.  It says it on all TVs, I have rebooted the boxes, and the access point.  No change.  I followed the troubleshooting steps in the help menu twice... no change.  And you know with all this rebooting my shows that I had scheduled to record tonight are not recording.  With TWC we had almost everything On Demand so it wouldn't be an issue... there is nothing we watch on demand with AT&T.  They have a small selection of networks, and even smaller list of shows on the ones they do have.

 

I don't have time to call AT&T tonight and have them make me do all things I have already done to get the same results.

 

The TV is freezing a lot, too.  This happens often.  Also, more often than not when we watch a program we recorded in the evening, it cuts out and we have to restart it... often from the beginning.  We have learned we have to stay off our laptops when watching a recorded program so it will work.  How pathetic!  I can't believe we left Time Warner for this headache of unrealiable and poor service. 


Yet, you have time to go on the internet, register for this forum, and complain about the service?.

 

If you want help resolving any issues that you are having with your service, we can offer assistance.  If you are here simply to complain, you can do that, but it's not going to help get any of your issues resolved.

Message 5 of 16 (1,319 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

[ Edited ]

slscanlon3 wrote:

I watch and record almost everything on CBS... which is why I want to go back to Time Warner.  I had all those shows On Demand with Time Warner.  With AT&T, I do not have ANYTHING from CBS - this network is not on AT&T On Demand for me. 

 

Wondering by your reply if this varies by location or something.  I am in NE Ohio. 


I thought the CBS blackout on TW was nationwide.  I could be wrong.

CBS blackout on TWC

 

Edit:

The following stations, in the following locations, are no longer carried by Time Warner Cable:

• New York: WCBS
• Los Angeles: KCBS and KCAL (Ind.; carries the Dodgers)
• Desert Cities, Yuma and El Centro, CA: KCAL
• Dallas-Ft Worth: KTVT (CBS) and KTXA (Ind.)
• Boston: WBZ (CBS) and WSBK (Ind.)
*Affects the North Adams, NY (Albany); Keene, Middleton and Plymouth, NH; and Athol/Orange, MA (New England) lineups
• Pittsburgh: KDKA (CBS) and WPCW (CW)
*KDKA affects some customers in Northeast Ohio and Clarksburg, WV (KIWI); WPCW affects customers in Franklin, PA (Northeast Ohio)
• Chicago: WBBM (CBS)
*Affects customers in Kenosha and Racine, WI
• Detroit: WKBD (CW)
*Affects customers in Port Clinton, OH (Northeast Ohio)
• Denver: KCNC
*Affects some customers in PacWest, Gunnison and Telluride, CO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 16 (1,306 Views)
Expert

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

Only the CBS owned and operated local stations were dropped by TWC.  Also, certain CBS owned cable channels, such as Showtime, were dropped nationwide.

Message 7 of 16 (1,274 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

I found a list of the affected stations for the OP.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 16 (1,268 Views)
Teacher

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

With the CBS/SHO situation with TWC, I started looking for alternatives. Was going with DISH, but had problems finding a good site for the dish, so decided to try Uverse.

I just switched from TWC last week and like it so far. Although I can only record 3 HD programs, the two DVR setup I had

on TWC made it a pain to record more than 2 since you can't do it from one DVR, have to go to the web or app. It's more convenient being able to control everything from any TV. My bill is also <1/2 of what is was, although I did drop phone service and my internet speed is much slower.  

 

Message 9 of 16 (1,225 Views)

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

So you have CBS On Demand with AT&T???  I don't.  Wish I did though.  Assuming you must if you left TWC because they didn't have it.  I had it on TWC when I left... that was end of July, so not sure if that changed.

 

Of course the networks that AT&T does have On Demand for, there are very limited shows and they don't have the whole seasons that I can tell.  Everything I have gone out to On Demand for on the networks that they do carry, my show is not there.  We did watch one thing, but it froze so much and we got tired of it starting over and having to fast forward to where we left off.

 

And I love the comment that better then come on here and complain that I should try and get assistance for the issues I am having.  Clearly this person has never tried getting customer service from AT&T before.  They need to read more posts in these forums.  Getting a person to answer takes long enough, getting someone who knows what they are doing is impossible.  And they only waste your time having you do everything you have already done.  I also don't want to lose all my DVR shows right now so not willing to replace the box until I catch up.  I am out here complaining hoping to save someone else from making the mistake I did and to not believe their sales reps who lie through there teeth to get your business...(oh yeah....  where is that other $50 I was supposed to get back after a month of service?  funny AT&T doesn't know what I am talking about when I tell them that one). 

Message 10 of 16 (1,211 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

[ Edited ]

slscanlon3 wrote:

 

And I love the comment that better then come on here and complain that I should try and get assistance for the issues I am having.  Clearly this person has never tried getting customer service from AT&T beforeThey need to read more posts in these forumsGetting a person to answer takes long enough, getting someone who knows what they are doing is impossible.  And they only waste your time having you do everything you have already done.  I also don't want to lose all my DVR shows right now so not willing to replace the box until I catch up.  I am out here complaining hoping to save someone else from making the mistake I did and to not believe their sales reps who lie through there teeth to get your business...(oh yeah....  where is that other $50 I was supposed to get back after a month of service?  funny AT&T doesn't know what I am talking about when I tell them that one). 


If you are referring to me, your comments could not be more wrong.  I have had U-verse for over 4 years, and I have called Customer Service and Technical Support on several occasions.  My experience has not been the one described in your message.  I have also been a member of this forum since shortly after I became a U-verse customer.  My guess is that I have read far more negative posts about U-verse than you have.

 

Also, you do realize that his is the U-verse customer forum?  The people that you are trying to convince not to switch to U-verse already have the service.  We would not appear to be the audience that will be most receptive to your comments.

Message 11 of 16 (1,193 Views)
Teacher

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

No, no CBS on demand. I left TWC because of SHO. We never lost our local CBS channel. I don't use on demand much, rely more on DVRing. 

Message 12 of 16 (1,170 Views)

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

[ Edited ]

slscanlon3 wrote:

So you have CBS On Demand with AT&T???  I don't.  Wish I did though.  Assuming you must if you left TWC because they didn't have it.  I had it on TWC when I left... that was end of July, so not sure if that changed.

 

Of course the networks that AT&T does have On Demand for, there are very limited shows and they don't have the whole seasons that I can tell.  Everything I have gone out to On Demand for on the networks that they do carry, my show is not there.  We did watch one thing, but it froze so much and we got tired of it starting over and having to fast forward to where we left off.

 

And I love the comment that better then come on here and complain that I should try and get assistance for the issues I am having.  Clearly this person has never tried getting customer service from AT&T before.  They need to read more posts in these forums.  Getting a person to answer takes long enough, getting someone who knows what they are doing is impossible.  And they only waste your time having you do everything you have already done.  I also don't want to lose all my DVR shows right now so not willing to replace the box until I catch up.  I am out here complaining hoping to save someone else from making the mistake I did and to not believe their sales reps who lie through there teeth to get your business...(oh yeah....  where is that other $50 I was supposed to get back after a month of service?  funny AT&T doesn't know what I am talking about when I tell them that one). 


I have UVerse and I have CBS on Demand.  Some areas have it, some don't.  It all depends on whether or not you are in a CBS Owned and Operated station.  It's the same areas that TWC has dropped the channel.

 

As for customer service, I've called customer service on a couple of occasions and technical support on a couple of occasions and each time my issue has been resolved quickly and professionally the first time.  Are their bad agents for customer service and technical support, yes, but there are far more good agents than bad.

 

I've had TWC and you couldn't pay me to go back to them.  I have also had Dish and Direct and by far UVerse has been the best of the providers I've had.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 13 of 16 (1,091 Views)
Guru

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

If he wants to go back to TWC, then by all means; let him.  It is a free country, well... somewhat free but I won't get into that here.

 

For me, with all of what I'm getting from AT&T including the DVR space, the channels, and the Internet speed I would be paying nearly $60 to $70 more per month if I were on TWC.  That may not seem like much but every little bit helps.

 

Am I saying that AT&T is perfect?  No, far from it.  TWC was just as far from perfect too.  Both of the services have Pro's and Con's.  But, saving money is good so I took my business to AT&T.

 

I just don't see the need to cheer for AT&T in front of person who's clearly unhappy with the service.  Let him go back to TWC if he wants to.  There are thousands of us that are happy with uVerse, one less customer won't hurt AT&T.

Message 14 of 16 (1,073 Views)
Guru

Re: Leaving TWC was a mistake... AT&T is awful

I DVR a lot of stuff from CBS as well, including The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, and NCIS: LA.  And just as soon as I get caught up on Hawaii Five-O I'll be recording that too.  With the massive 500 GB DVR that I have from uVerse I can record a lot of HDTV content (160 hours worth).  It makes up for the fact that I don't have CBS On-Demand.

 

Yes, it would be nice to have CBS On-Demand but you can thank TWC for that, they have a monopoly on the On-Demand services in the area and won't let other providers have the same service.  I found the DVR box that TWC has was buggy like nothing I've ever seen.  uVerse has their own bugs but they don't annoy me like the TWC bugs did.  And I had TWC Signature Home which was supposed to be the high-end product that TWC had which really seemed like someone at TWC had an "Oh crap!" moment when AT&T walked in the door with Whole Home DVR.  It seems like TWC shoehorned Whole Home DVR into their current DVR boxes and it definitely shows in how buggy it was.

 

But, again... if he doesn't like uVerse then by all means he can go back to TWC.

Message 15 of 16 (1,062 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support