Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 2, 2013
11:48:39 AM
View profile
Lack of features
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 2, 2013 at 12:09:34 PM

There's that FACT that you tried to dance around for like 5 replies....

Not to mention no true Picture-In-Picture, terrible On-Demand selection, ridiculously exaggerated internet speeds, slow and cumbersome user interface, and terrible customer service representatives.... you know- just to name a few things that have aggravated me about U-verse. And on top of it all, I'm now paying more for cable service than I ever did with the competitors that do not have these issues.

So stop trying to cover up the issue, or telling me that I can find other products/solutions/apps to solve the problem that is TERRIBLE UVERSE SERVICE.

IF YOU'RE READING THIS DO NOT GET UVERSE

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

There's that FACT that you tried to dance around for like 5 replies....

Not to mention no true Picture-In-Picture, terrible On-Demand selection, ridiculously exaggerated internet speeds, slow and cumbersome user interface, and terrible customer service representatives.... you know- just to name a few things that have aggravated me about U-verse. And on top of it all, I'm now paying more for cable service than I ever did with the competitors that do not have these issues.

So stop trying to cover up the issue, or telling me that I can find other products/solutions/apps to solve the problem that is TERRIBLE UVERSE SERVICE.

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

Lack of features

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 12:18:22 PM
(0)
Teacher
Slow but highly exaggerated internet speeds, terrible on-demand selection, slow and cumbersome user interface/menu, no true picture-in-picture, unhelpful customer service representatives, NO IPAD APP... and I could go on.....

Slow but highly exaggerated internet speeds, terrible on-demand selection, slow and cumbersome user interface/menu, no true picture-in-picture, unhelpful customer service representatives, NO IPAD APP... and I could go on.....

Re: watch tv on phone

2 of 11 (519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 12:50:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

....and you have Uverse because.....??????

....and you have Uverse because.....??????

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 12:59:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:05:18 PM

• no true Picture-In-Picture - What U-verse provides is not the same as what TV mfrs call PnP, but what is provided fits the description (you get a picture of the new channel inside the picture of the existing channel).  Do I wish you could hold it there?  Yes.  There is also MultiView, which gives you some advantages over simple PnP (more channels), but some other disadvantage (smaller picture).
  • terrible On-Demand selection, - As opposed to what?  I have found it comparible to the Charter selection.  
  • ridiculously exaggerated internet speeds, - I pay for and get 12 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up.  What do you pay for/get?  How did you measure this?
  • slow and cumbersome user interface, - Some of the interactive features can be clunky, especially on older equipment, but channel changing has always been snappy.  DVR features usually so (though they do lag from remote devices under heavy usage).  The tile based On-Demand is pretty, but not very quick having to download the images.
  • and terrible customer service representatives. - All large companies suffer from bad eggs.  Some more so than others.  I will say that I've not gone past the second phone call to get my issues resolved.
  • paying more for cable service - I now pay about the same I did to Charter when I switched to U-verse.  But that was 3.5 years ago.  I also have much more stable and reliable internet service, more bandwidth, better TV picture and more channels than I would have if I switched back to Charter (at a higher rate).

If you still are having issues and haven't already disconnected your U-verse service , I'd recommend that you click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your concerns, especially with your Internet speed. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelope in the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

• no true Picture-In-Picture - What U-verse provides is not the same as what TV mfrs call PnP, but what is provided fits the description (you get a picture of the new channel inside the picture of the existing channel).  Do I wish you could hold it there?  Yes.  There is also MultiView, which gives you some advantages over simple PnP (more channels), but some other disadvantage (smaller picture).
  • terrible On-Demand selection, - As opposed to what?  I have found it comparible to the Charter selection.  
  • ridiculously exaggerated internet speeds, - I pay for and get 12 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up.  What do you pay for/get?  How did you measure this?
  • slow and cumbersome user interface, - Some of the interactive features can be clunky, especially on older equipment, but channel changing has always been snappy.  DVR features usually so (though they do lag from remote devices under heavy usage).  The tile based On-Demand is pretty, but not very quick having to download the images.
  • and terrible customer service representatives. - All large companies suffer from bad eggs.  Some more so than others.  I will say that I've not gone past the second phone call to get my issues resolved.
  • paying more for cable service - I now pay about the same I did to Charter when I switched to U-verse.  But that was 3.5 years ago.  I also have much more stable and reliable internet service, more bandwidth, better TV picture and more channels than I would have if I switched back to Charter (at a higher rate).

If you still are having issues and haven't already disconnected your U-verse service , I'd recommend that you click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your concerns, especially with your Internet speed. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelope in the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Lack of features

[ Edited ]
4 of 11 (500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:13:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

Because I had been mislead about the quality of service and features available, and am now locked into a contract with Uverse. I am trying to help others avoid the same mistake.

Because I had been mislead about the quality of service and features available, and am now locked into a contract with Uverse. I am trying to help others avoid the same mistake.

5 of 11 (480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:21:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

PIP: Exactly- they don't really offer picture in picture. Yes- I can see the channel that I'll be switching to- but I cannot leave it up on the screen. So as I said "No true PIP"- as in "YOU CAN'T WATCH 2 THINGS AT ONCE"

On-Demand: You're kidding right? Try to pull up the recent seasons of any popular show (Walking Dead for example) and you will not even see the show available. For the few series they actually carry- you will likely only find 1-2 seasons.

Exaggerated internet speeds: I pay for the Turbo MAX (24Mbps down) and cannot even stream Netflix to a single device without issues. My tested speeds (via SpeakEasy) have never been over 12Mbps. 

User Interface/Menu: Channel changing through the guide is very frustrating. "Channel Surfing" is not even an option, you can really only go "page by page" or you'll be dead before you get anywhere. The menu continually lags and can take 2-3 seconds to open up the menu. Not to mention the box always times itself out, so I need to press OK everytime I want to watch TV. I'm paying for the service- why would you ever "pause" it. And don't tell me it's because you're Eco Friendly.....

Customer Service Reps: Have you ever spoken to someone in English on the first call? Have you received the same information from every rep you've spoken with? The sales staff clearly uses misleading information to entice consumers, when they clearly no very little about the actual service. Once you have service, the "Customer Service" team is mostly helpless.

Paying More: I now pay $150/mo to Uverse in addition to the $100/mo I pay AT&T for wireless. To think for $250/mo I cannot use either service to stream video to my phone?! I paid less for DirecTV including the NFL Package, and was almost $50/mo less with Brighthouse and MUCH faster internet speeds.

I have contacted customer support, and am eagerly awaiting their response. They're probably a little busy deleting my comments from other threads.....

PIP: Exactly- they don't really offer picture in picture. Yes- I can see the channel that I'll be switching to- but I cannot leave it up on the screen. So as I said "No true PIP"- as in "YOU CAN'T WATCH 2 THINGS AT ONCE"

On-Demand: You're kidding right? Try to pull up the recent seasons of any popular show (Walking Dead for example) and you will not even see the show available. For the few series they actually carry- you will likely only find 1-2 seasons.

Exaggerated internet speeds: I pay for the Turbo MAX (24Mbps down) and cannot even stream Netflix to a single device without issues. My tested speeds (via SpeakEasy) have never been over 12Mbps. 

User Interface/Menu: Channel changing through the guide is very frustrating. "Channel Surfing" is not even an option, you can really only go "page by page" or you'll be dead before you get anywhere. The menu continually lags and can take 2-3 seconds to open up the menu. Not to mention the box always times itself out, so I need to press OK everytime I want to watch TV. I'm paying for the service- why would you ever "pause" it. And don't tell me it's because you're Eco Friendly.....

Customer Service Reps: Have you ever spoken to someone in English on the first call? Have you received the same information from every rep you've spoken with? The sales staff clearly uses misleading information to entice consumers, when they clearly no very little about the actual service. Once you have service, the "Customer Service" team is mostly helpless.

Paying More: I now pay $150/mo to Uverse in addition to the $100/mo I pay AT&T for wireless. To think for $250/mo I cannot use either service to stream video to my phone?! I paid less for DirecTV including the NFL Package, and was almost $50/mo less with Brighthouse and MUCH faster internet speeds.

I have contacted customer support, and am eagerly awaiting their response. They're probably a little busy deleting my comments from other threads.....

6 of 11 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:32:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar
Uverse has plenty of features. Much better than Comcast. Internet better and more stable than Comcast but I do not know what you had before.
Uverse has plenty of features. Much better than Comcast. Internet better and more stable than Comcast but I do not know what you had before.

7 of 11 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:40:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

toddious wrote:

Which is why they call it PIP Browseing now.

I suppose I'll have to take your word for this.  I find a good selection of movies and other content available.  Maybe it's a regional thing.  But Walking Dead is not my cup of tea, nor is most TV these days; more interested in movies.

Netflix streaming may be an issue with U-verse Internet, or could be an issue with Netflix's CDN and/or ISP gateways.  Have you tried YouTube for comparison?  Do you normally test using wired or wireless connections?

"You need to scroll page by page or you'll be dead before you get anywhere."  Hm, is that because U-verse provides you with so many channels?  Most people like a lot of channels. If you'd like, you can hide  most channels you don't want to scroll through. 

The box times out after 8 hours.  And you have to press, OMG, a single button to restore it.  Really, this is on your list of big issues?  No, it doesn't save much power, but it can free up a stream which with 24 Mbps HSI you'd probably appreciate.

Customer Service Reps: Have you ever spoken to someone in English on the first call?

Yes. And most of the time they don't have a heavy accent.

Have you received the same information from every rep you've spoken with?

No.  Some of them clearly know more than others.

The sales staff clearly uses misleading information to entice consumers, when they clearly no very little about the actual service.

Some of them aresleezebags.  As with many sales people from many industries: You know they're lying because their lips are moving.  I'd rely on the information published on the website or in printed literature and not much else.

Once you have service, the "Customer Service" team is mostly helpless.

Some of them are.  Which is why I referred you to the social media support team.  A cut above the normal phone answerers.

How was your mobile signal on DirecTV?  Brighthouse?  Did they have a nice choice of phones?

The moderators (those who maintain order in the forums and assure compliance to forum guidelines) are employees of Lithium, a separate company that AT&T contracts to provide this forum.  They are different people from those who staff the social media support team.

Sigh.

Comments in line.

toddious wrote:

Which is why they call it PIP Browseing now.

I suppose I'll have to take your word for this.  I find a good selection of movies and other content available.  Maybe it's a regional thing.  But Walking Dead is not my cup of tea, nor is most TV these days; more interested in movies.

Netflix streaming may be an issue with U-verse Internet, or could be an issue with Netflix's CDN and/or ISP gateways.  Have you tried YouTube for comparison?  Do you normally test using wired or wireless connections?

"You need to scroll page by page or you'll be dead before you get anywhere."  Hm, is that because U-verse provides you with so many channels?  Most people like a lot of channels. If you'd like, you can hide  most channels you don't want to scroll through. 

The box times out after 8 hours.  And you have to press, OMG, a single button to restore it.  Really, this is on your list of big issues?  No, it doesn't save much power, but it can free up a stream which with 24 Mbps HSI you'd probably appreciate.

Customer Service Reps: Have you ever spoken to someone in English on the first call?

Yes. And most of the time they don't have a heavy accent.

Have you received the same information from every rep you've spoken with?

No.  Some of them clearly know more than others.

The sales staff clearly uses misleading information to entice consumers, when they clearly no very little about the actual service.

Some of them aresleezebags.  As with many sales people from many industries: You know they're lying because their lips are moving.  I'd rely on the information published on the website or in printed literature and not much else.

Once you have service, the "Customer Service" team is mostly helpless.

Some of them are.  Which is why I referred you to the social media support team.  A cut above the normal phone answerers.

How was your mobile signal on DirecTV?  Brighthouse?  Did they have a nice choice of phones?

The moderators (those who maintain order in the forums and assure compliance to forum guidelines) are employees of Lithium, a separate company that AT&T contracts to provide this forum.  They are different people from those who staff the social media support team.

Sigh.

Comments in line.

8 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 4:03:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

toddious wrote:

How are you "locked" into a contract?  You can canceled within the first 30 days with no futher obligation.  If  you decided that you did not like the service, but did not cancel within that period, you have no one else to blame.

toddious wrote:

How are you "locked" into a contract?  You can canceled within the first 30 days with no futher obligation.  If  you decided that you did not like the service, but did not cancel within that period, you have no one else to blame.

9 of 11 (417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 4:38:37 PM
(0)
Expert

toddious wrote:

I pay for 24/3 (Max Turbo) service:

Pretty much looks like the exact paid-for speeds to me.

toddious wrote:

I pay for 24/3 (Max Turbo) service:

Pretty much looks like the exact paid-for speeds to me.

10 of 11 (413 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 8:28:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I only pay for 12Mbps and I consistantly get 11.5 down and 1.47 up, and I'm running everything wireless. I have 1 wireless PC, 2 ROKU devices, an iPod Touch, an iPad and 2 wi-fi connected phones that have know to be all streaming something all at the same time.  My son will typically have Netflix streaming on the 2 ROKU devices as well as the iPod and iPad and we've never had an issue even when all are going at the same time.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

I only pay for 12Mbps and I consistantly get 11.5 down and 1.47 up, and I'm running everything wireless. I have 1 wireless PC, 2 ROKU devices, an iPod Touch, an iPad and 2 wi-fi connected phones that have know to be all streaming something all at the same time.  My son will typically have Netflix streaming on the 2 ROKU devices as well as the iPod and iPad and we've never had an issue even when all are going at the same time.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

11 of 11 (320 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments