Know its been discussed before but, Ping?

Tutor

Know its been discussed before but, Ping?

Before we begin, let me start by saying that for gamers our current connection is borderline unlivable. 

We are paying for dsl at 6 mbps and we are lucky to receive on average 2 mbps. Over the last few days my ping has spiked up to 600 in games at random for no real reason.

Like in left 4 dead 2 my girlfriend was getting 60 ping where I was receiving 70.. then a horde would come and my ping would shoot up to 600-700...

5 of us all share the same connection and normally we are in the 70 range up to 120 which is very *very* acceptable to me. (I see people complaining about 10-20 ms increases which put them on par to what I have now.)

So we can upgrade to 18 mbps and finally.. not have the internet crap out for everyone else as soon as someone decides to download something.

I am wondering if the ping is really going to be that much worse should we get u-verse.. I mean..Seems like we can only gain from this point really..although I could be wrong and we could get worse ping after too.. Which I would gladly take if we can keep it under 140...

Message 1 of 20 (3,458 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Know its been discussed before but, Ping?

Um.... Ping rate at 150 mbps, eh?   Maybe your flux resistor needs adjusting.

Bandwidth is normally reported in mbps.

Latency (which is what Ping mesaures) is reported in ms.

I only get 150 ms PINGs when crossing an ocean.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 20 (1,656 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I'm very new to the internet topic. All I know is 150 ms is still really bad. I'm going to call tech support this afternoon. I sure hope it is something they can fix. Thanks for your help, and I'll tell tech support what you suggested. Also, I'm a gamer, would fixing the flux resister help even when gaming? I tend to start a match with a 4 bar conection (I game on PS3 and they measure latency with the more commonly used bars. And 4 bar is the best connection.) Anyways, I'll start with a 4 bar, and then halfway through it will start to lag. I may get lucky and end up with three bar, but it tends to stay around three - two bar range. To add on, if you ever game (I don't know if you do or not) two - three bars makes a huge difference! Thanks for your help, and I hope my ping issue can be resolved.

Message 17 of 20 (1,646 Views)
Highlighted

And here is my result - obviously something's wrong with my latency. Smiley Sad :

Pinging 191.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 191.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Message 18 of 20 (1,641 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

You have an incorrect address there. The address of your local gateway is supposed to be 192.168.1.254, not 191.168.1.254. (first number, 192 vs. 191).

Latency to the local gateway should be 1 msec or less.

After that ping Google's public DNS server at 8.8.8.8. Latency should be in the 35-60 msec range.

Example from my service:

C:\>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:  
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=43
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=43
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=43
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=43

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 34ms

C:\>

Message 19 of 20 (1,626 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

There's quite a bit of troubleshooting you could do.  You might want to take SomeJoe7777's suggestion one further and to that PING to google's DNS, but add a "-t" (which means not to stop after 4 packets, but keep doing it), it would look like this:

PING 8.8.8.8 -t

(You can hold down CTRL and hit C when you're ready to stop it, after which it'll print the summary).

Anyway, start this on your computer right before you start your PS3 console game, then check it every couple of minutes to see what it's doing, especially when your number of bars start to drop on the PS3 latency gauge.

BTW, my ping time to 8.8.8.8 is averaging 50 ms.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 20 (1,616 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.