Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 24, 2011
8:41:44 AM
Know its been discussed before but, Ping?

Before we begin, let me start by saying that for gamers our current connection is borderline unlivable. 

We are paying for dsl at 6 mbps and we are lucky to receive on average 2 mbps. Over the last few days my ping has spiked up to 600 in games at random for no real reason.

Like in left 4 dead 2 my girlfriend was getting 60 ping where I was receiving 70.. then a horde would come and my ping would shoot up to 600-700...

5 of us all share the same connection and normally we are in the 70 range up to 120 which is very *very* acceptable to me. (I see people complaining about 10-20 ms increases which put them on par to what I have now.)

So we can upgrade to 18 mbps and finally.. not have the internet crap out for everyone else as soon as someone decides to download something.

I am wondering if the ping is really going to be that much worse should we get u-verse.. I mean..Seems like we can only gain from this point really..although I could be wrong and we could get worse ping after too.. Which I would gladly take if we can keep it under 140...

Before we begin, let me start by saying that for gamers our current connection is borderline unlivable. 

We are paying for dsl at 6 mbps and we are lucky to receive on average 2 mbps. Over the last few days my ping has spiked up to 600 in games at random for no real reason.

Like in left 4 dead 2 my girlfriend was getting 60 ping where I was receiving 70.. then a horde would come and my ping would shoot up to 600-700...

5 of us all share the same connection and normally we are in the 70 range up to 120 which is very *very* acceptable to me. (I see people complaining about 10-20 ms increases which put them on par to what I have now.)

So we can upgrade to 18 mbps and finally.. not have the internet crap out for everyone else as soon as someone decides to download something.

I am wondering if the ping is really going to be that much worse should we get u-verse.. I mean..Seems like we can only gain from this point really..although I could be wrong and we could get worse ping after too.. Which I would gladly take if we can keep it under 140...

Know its been discussed before but, Ping?

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 3:39:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you want your ping to INCREASE the get U-verse.

I made that mistake in Sept 2010!

My pings ingame more than DOUBLED!

If you want your ping to INCREASE the get U-verse.

I made that mistake in Sept 2010!

My pings ingame more than DOUBLED!

Re: Know its been discussed before but, Ping?

2 of 20 (3,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 7:47:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you are a gamer, do NOT subscribe to UVerse.

Interleaving, unstable pings, high latency, low upstream, horrible routing, poor customer support, BANDWIDTH CAPS, issues streaming content; the list just goes on.

What ever you have now is better than Uverse, as far as online gaming is concerned.  Don't make the same mistake that I did. 

If you have DSL, contact AT&T and have them change your profile to "fastpath" form "interleaved", it makes a heck of a difference.  You may have to talk to 50 different employees before you find the one that can make it happen, just keep at it.  As soon as I talked to the right guy, he switched me over instantly and my ping times were cut in half (from ~40ms to ~20ms).

If you are a gamer, do NOT subscribe to UVerse.

Interleaving, unstable pings, high latency, low upstream, horrible routing, poor customer support, BANDWIDTH CAPS, issues streaming content; the list just goes on.

What ever you have now is better than Uverse, as far as online gaming is concerned.  Don't make the same mistake that I did. 

If you have DSL, contact AT&T and have them change your profile to "fastpath" form "interleaved", it makes a heck of a difference.  You may have to talk to 50 different employees before you find the one that can make it happen, just keep at it.  As soon as I talked to the right guy, he switched me over instantly and my ping times were cut in half (from ~40ms to ~20ms).

3 of 20 (3,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 9:16:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Guys...

Did you even read what I posted?

Every since a few nights before I got the email informing me Uverse is available.

My ping has gotten up to 600 two or three times a night minimum.

Low upstream?

UVERSE  upstreams MORE my current DOWNLOAD speed.

if (topic == uverse)

{ initiate bashing;}

else
{ignore;}

:/

Guys...

Did you even read what I posted?

Every since a few nights before I got the email informing me Uverse is available.

My ping has gotten up to 600 two or three times a night minimum.

Low upstream?

UVERSE  upstreams MORE my current DOWNLOAD speed.

if (topic == uverse)

{ initiate bashing;}

else
{ignore;}

:/

4 of 20 (3,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 12:31:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by S0DA on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:34:49 PM

Uverse is horrible for gaming.

If you want me to lie to you, rather than give you my opinion based on years with the Uverse service, just say so.

Also, just because Uverse's advertised upstream speeds are faster than your current DSL connection, doesn't mean they are not subpar.

I challenge you to find a single post in this or any other broadband forum that states Uverse is a good choice for gaming.  It sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, just know that there are much better alternatives.

Uverse is horrible for gaming.

If you want me to lie to you, rather than give you my opinion based on years with the Uverse service, just say so.

Also, just because Uverse's advertised upstream speeds are faster than your current DSL connection, doesn't mean they are not subpar.

I challenge you to find a single post in this or any other broadband forum that states Uverse is a good choice for gaming.  It sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, just know that there are much better alternatives.

[ Edited ]
5 of 20 (2,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 1:47:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm not an online gamer. I prefer single player offline. But I will state that before I had Uverse internet I had AT&T DSL internet. When I switched to Uverse my speeds did go up but so did my pings. The pings actually went up quite a bit. As I understand it a high ping is not good for online gaming. So in my opinion if you are an online gamer you should stick with your DSL service.

I'm not an online gamer. I prefer single player offline. But I will state that before I had Uverse internet I had AT&T DSL internet. When I switched to Uverse my speeds did go up but so did my pings. The pings actually went up quite a bit. As I understand it a high ping is not good for online gaming. So in my opinion if you are an online gamer you should stick with your DSL service.

6 of 20 (2,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 9:52:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't want you to lie to me but, I am anxious to hear what your alternatives are.

Also let me go ahead and say stop twisting what I am trying to say.

I never made an attempt to say that uverse is a good choice for gaming, I am saying it (at the moment) can't be worse than my dsl. If I get a *STABLE* 120 ping (which is what people are complaining about more often than not) It would be preferable to 90 ping with spikes of 600 at the most inopportune times possible.

Subpar? Paying for 6 MBPS and recieving 1 or 2 average is subpar if you don't mind me saying so. I realize that throughput is based on ideal conditions but, while paying for 18 mbps from a cable provider (although in a different town) I recieved on occassion 26 mbps during test. I usually never dipped under 6 and my average was at least 12.

I do realize the fact that it was a different location changes a lot but, if you happen to have some sort of spectacular alternative I am more than willing to listen to it.

Oh, I will also say that I have read when they changed lines, I've read one or two reports of people on dsl getting worse ping due to the way att upgraded their network, although the exception not the rule, it is making me wonder if there is correlation to my situation even if not causation.

I don't want you to lie to me but, I am anxious to hear what your alternatives are.

Also let me go ahead and say stop twisting what I am trying to say.

I never made an attempt to say that uverse is a good choice for gaming, I am saying it (at the moment) can't be worse than my dsl. If I get a *STABLE* 120 ping (which is what people are complaining about more often than not) It would be preferable to 90 ping with spikes of 600 at the most inopportune times possible.

Subpar? Paying for 6 MBPS and recieving 1 or 2 average is subpar if you don't mind me saying so. I realize that throughput is based on ideal conditions but, while paying for 18 mbps from a cable provider (although in a different town) I recieved on occassion 26 mbps during test. I usually never dipped under 6 and my average was at least 12.

I do realize the fact that it was a different location changes a lot but, if you happen to have some sort of spectacular alternative I am more than willing to listen to it.

Oh, I will also say that I have read when they changed lines, I've read one or two reports of people on dsl getting worse ping due to the way att upgraded their network, although the exception not the rule, it is making me wonder if there is correlation to my situation even if not causation.

7 of 20 (2,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 1:44:54 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Lostracer on Mar 29, 2011 at 1:45:46 PM

There isa balance to getting uverse over DSL. The balance being someone can be streaming something in another room whilst you play your game unaffected. [b]To a point[/b] I view looking at pings like bench racing. It all depends on where you're connecting to on what your results will be. I've gamed via 300baud, 1200baud, 14.4 and 33.6k modems of the past. My 33.6 was the best becasue I could get sub 100 pings in Q3 arena. Either way, now a days there is so much more involved and going on, you really don't have the time to worry about those numbers. I have uverse and online game on 4 different platforms between computers and consoles. [b]IF[/b] I start to lag I complain. However that is far from the norm. Not everyones experience is going to be the same. Just look at this board. I have no problems gaming and no complaints. If you do lag its probably on the other persons end thats causing it.   

There isa balance to getting uverse over DSL. The balance being someone can be streaming something in another room whilst you play your game unaffected. [b]To a point[/b] I view looking at pings like bench racing. It all depends on where you're connecting to on what your results will be. I've gamed via 300baud, 1200baud, 14.4 and 33.6k modems of the past. My 33.6 was the best becasue I could get sub 100 pings in Q3 arena. Either way, now a days there is so much more involved and going on, you really don't have the time to worry about those numbers. I have uverse and online game on 4 different platforms between computers and consoles. [b]IF[/b] I start to lag I complain. However that is far from the norm. Not everyones experience is going to be the same. Just look at this board. I have no problems gaming and no complaints. If you do lag its probably on the other persons end thats causing it.   

[ Edited ]
8 of 20 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 9:46:28 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by S0DA on Mar 30, 2011 at 9:47:21 AM

Uverse latency is far from stable and frequently spike to upwards of 700ms.

I never twisted anything you said.

If you want a great alternative to Uverse, I would recommend Verizon Fios. 

You could just contact AT&T and have them address the issues you are experiencing with latency.  When I had 3mbps ADSL package, my pings were in the low 20's after I had my profile switched to fastpath.

Uverse latency is far from stable and frequently spike to upwards of 700ms.

I never twisted anything you said.

If you want a great alternative to Uverse, I would recommend Verizon Fios. 

You could just contact AT&T and have them address the issues you are experiencing with latency.  When I had 3mbps ADSL package, my pings were in the low 20's after I had my profile switched to fastpath.

[ Edited ]
9 of 20 (2,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 11:09:35 AM
(0)
Expert

S0DA wrote:

The U-Verse system architecture does not allow configuration to fastpath.  Interleaved mode is required for forward error correction, which is necessary for the IPTV services.

S0DA wrote:

The U-Verse system architecture does not allow configuration to fastpath.  Interleaved mode is required for forward error correction, which is necessary for the IPTV services.

10 of 20 (2,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 6:36:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

S0DA wrote:

The OP has AT&T DSL, as did I when I switched to fastpath. 

Trust me, I'm well aware there is no way to stop interleaving with Uverse Smiley Sad

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

S0DA wrote:

The OP has AT&T DSL, as did I when I switched to fastpath. 

Trust me, I'm well aware there is no way to stop interleaving with Uverse Smiley Sad

11 of 20 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 1:18:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hey Soda,

How are you testing your pings to see those spikes?

Hey Soda,

How are you testing your pings to see those spikes?

12 of 20 (2,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 10:18:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

here is my ping test result. i got it from here whoisxy
Pinging cooltamil.com [64.64.4.118] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.64.4.118: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=52
Reply from 64.64.4.118: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=52
Ping statistics for 64.64.4.118:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 51ms

here is my ping test result. i got it from here whoisxy
Pinging cooltamil.com [64.64.4.118] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.64.4.118: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=52
Ping statistics for 64.64.4.118:
Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 51ms

13 of 20 (2,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 8:52:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Our family uses U-verse, and it is terrible. AT&T's ping rate varies from time to time, and is mostly around 150mbps (which is very very very bad). If you plan on just using the internet for e-mail or facebook, it's alright. Personally, I'm a gamer, and I get a poor connection and start to lag due to the ping issue. Please, due yourself a favor and get comcast or go with another ISP because if you never thought it could get any worse..... it will.

Our family uses U-verse, and it is terrible. AT&T's ping rate varies from time to time, and is mostly around 150mbps (which is very very very bad). If you plan on just using the internet for e-mail or facebook, it's alright. Personally, I'm a gamer, and I get a poor connection and start to lag due to the ping issue. Please, due yourself a favor and get comcast or go with another ISP because if you never thought it could get any worse..... it will.

14 of 20 (1,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 8:54:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

I found out the hard way too, AT&T is terrible for gaming, and their ping rate is around 150mbps! AT&T will have to do a lot better if they don't want to lose all of their business.

I found out the hard way too, AT&T is terrible for gaming, and their ping rate is around 150mbps! AT&T will have to do a lot better if they don't want to lose all of their business.

15 of 20 (1,391 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 11:15:38 AM
(1)
ACE - Expert

Um.... Ping rate at 150 mbps, eh?   Maybe your flux resistor needs adjusting.

Bandwidth is normally reported in mbps.

Latency (which is what Ping mesaures) is reported in ms.

I only get 150 ms PINGs when crossing an ocean.

Um.... Ping rate at 150 mbps, eh?   Maybe your flux resistor needs adjusting.

Bandwidth is normally reported in mbps.

Latency (which is what Ping mesaures) is reported in ms.

I only get 150 ms PINGs when crossing an ocean.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 20 (1,351 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 1:34:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by chaseburleson on Oct 17, 2013 at 1:39:59 PM

Sorry, I'm very new to the internet topic. All I know is 150 ms is still really bad. I'm going to call tech support this afternoon. I sure hope it is something they can fix. Thanks for your help, and I'll tell tech support what you suggested. Also, I'm a gamer, would fixing the flux resister help even when gaming? I tend to start a match with a 4 bar conection (I game on PS3 and they measure latency with the more commonly used bars. And 4 bar is the best connection.) Anyways, I'll start with a 4 bar, and then halfway through it will start to lag. I may get lucky and end up with three bar, but it tends to stay around three - two bar range. To add on, if you ever game (I don't know if you do or not) two - three bars makes a huge difference! Thanks for your help, and I hope my ping issue can be resolved.

Sorry, I'm very new to the internet topic. All I know is 150 ms is still really bad. I'm going to call tech support this afternoon. I sure hope it is something they can fix. Thanks for your help, and I'll tell tech support what you suggested. Also, I'm a gamer, would fixing the flux resister help even when gaming? I tend to start a match with a 4 bar conection (I game on PS3 and they measure latency with the more commonly used bars. And 4 bar is the best connection.) Anyways, I'll start with a 4 bar, and then halfway through it will start to lag. I may get lucky and end up with three bar, but it tends to stay around three - two bar range. To add on, if you ever game (I don't know if you do or not) two - three bars makes a huge difference! Thanks for your help, and I hope my ping issue can be resolved.

[ Edited ]
17 of 20 (1,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 1:48:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

And here is my result - obviously something's wrong with my latency. Smiley Sad :

Pinging 191.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 191.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

And here is my result - obviously something's wrong with my latency. Smiley Sad :

Pinging 191.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 191.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

18 of 20 (1,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 5:45:51 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Oct 17, 2013 at 5:47:17 PM

You have an incorrect address there. The address of your local gateway is supposed to be 192.168.1.254, not 191.168.1.254. (first number, 192 vs. 191).

Latency to the local gateway should be 1 msec or less.

After that ping Google's public DNS server at 8.8.8.8. Latency should be in the 35-60 msec range.

Example from my service:

C:\>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:  
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=43
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=43
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=43

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 34ms

C:\>

You have an incorrect address there. The address of your local gateway is supposed to be 192.168.1.254, not 191.168.1.254. (first number, 192 vs. 191).

Latency to the local gateway should be 1 msec or less.

After that ping Google's public DNS server at 8.8.8.8. Latency should be in the 35-60 msec range.

Example from my service:

C:\>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:  
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=43
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=43

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 34ms

C:\>

[ Edited ]
19 of 20 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 7:33:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Oct 17, 2013 at 7:37:05 PM

There's quite a bit of troubleshooting you could do.  You might want to take SomeJoe7777's suggestion one further and to that PING to google's DNS, but add a "-t" (which means not to stop after 4 packets, but keep doing it), it would look like this:

PING 8.8.8.8 -t

(You can hold down CTRL and hit C when you're ready to stop it, after which it'll print the summary).

Anyway, start this on your computer right before you start your PS3 console game, then check it every couple of minutes to see what it's doing, especially when your number of bars start to drop on the PS3 latency gauge.

BTW, my ping time to 8.8.8.8 is averaging 50 ms.

There's quite a bit of troubleshooting you could do.  You might want to take SomeJoe7777's suggestion one further and to that PING to google's DNS, but add a "-t" (which means not to stop after 4 packets, but keep doing it), it would look like this:

PING 8.8.8.8 -t

(You can hold down CTRL and hit C when you're ready to stop it, after which it'll print the summary).

Anyway, start this on your computer right before you start your PS3 console game, then check it every couple of minutes to see what it's doing, especially when your number of bars start to drop on the PS3 latency gauge.

BTW, my ping time to 8.8.8.8 is averaging 50 ms.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
20 of 20 (1,311 Views)