Kid's old smartphones (iphone 3, old samsung) automatic $20/mo charge?

Contributor

Kid's old smartphones (iphone 3, old samsung) automatic $20/mo charge?

Here's the reasons I will open a new account with another carrier for my kids.  I want to recycle the old phones I already have, give my kids some familiarity with smart phone capabilities at home (on our home network) but do not want them to have data where ever they are...

Why is AT&T making it so hard?  I have wasted hours of my life discussing this issue with AT&T customer service folks (who are great BTW) but whoever has put the process in place of not allowing parents to block roaming data on ANY TYPE of phone is going to lose my kid's (and probably future) business.

Seriously fed up.

Message 1 of 9 (1,236 Views)
Employee

Re: Kid's old smartphones (iphone 3, old samsung) automatic $20/mo charge?

[ Edited ]

Short Answer is, when it's on the monthly bill, the Terms of Service says data is a required part of the plan.

You can still block it (on certain plans), but when you're picking plans, it's gotta be part of it.

Check out the new Mobile Share Value plans that give you discount on lines without a commitment.

www.myattrpc.com

Our Mobileshare plans have a special block that can be added for a permanent block.

If you're not on that, then Smart limits ($4.99) would block that too.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9 (1,222 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

sarahhp wrote:

Here's the reasons I will open a new account with another carrier for my kids.  I want to recycle the old phones I already have, give my kids some familiarity with smart phone capabilities at home (on our home network) but do not want them to have data where ever they are...

Why is AT&T making it so hard?  I have wasted hours of my life discussing this issue with AT&T customer service folks (who are great BTW) but whoever has put the process in place of not allowing parents to block roaming data on ANY TYPE of phone is going to lose my kid's (and probably future) business.

Seriously fed up.

switching carriers will not help, the majority of carriers require a cellular data plan with a smartphone. GoPhone is another option

Message 3 of 9 (1,210 Views)
Scholar

GoPhone has this plan.

It's $25 for 250 minutes and unlimited messaging domestic and to other countries; there is no data included; just put only enough money on the account every month for the basic plan.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 4 of 9 (1,181 Views)

T Mobile does not require data plans on smartphones if the phone is yours out of contract.
Message 5 of 9 (1,049 Views)
Expert

harryspar wrote:
T Mobile does not require data plans on smartphones if the phone is yours out of contract.

funny T-Mobile does not appear to offer any plans that do not have data

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html#tab-navigation

Message 6 of 9 (1,042 Views)

@wingrider you are right.

Back before the whole "uncarrier" gimmick, data plans were optional for BYOD smart phones.

Now it looks like they just throw in a minimum of 500MB without charging you $20 extra per line.

That's even better!

Message 7 of 9 (1,029 Views)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

@wingrider you are right.

Back before the whole "uncarrier" gimmick, data plans were optional for BYOD smart phones.

Now it looks like they just throw in a minimum of 500MB without charging you $20 extra per line.

That's even better!

the "uncarrier gimmick" from t-mobile has been gone for close to a year, I don;t compare current to past offers that are no longer available for comparision, works great for picking stocks but never works very well when doing a comparision price shopping. Kind of comparing a rock to a filet mignon for taste

Message 8 of 9 (1,019 Views)

Yeh, okay.
Message 9 of 9 (996 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.