Issues with streaming video services

Contributor

Issues with streaming video services

We are currently on a 12 mb "Max" internet-only plan. Lately, we've been having issues streaming any sort of video (Netflix, Hulu etc) and maintaining video quality. Occasionally, video will hit 720p, only to drop back down to 480p or lower. This is regardless of device (PC, Xbox 360, Smart TV etc), and all devices are hardwired.

Strangely, speed tests seem fine, as I typically see 10-11 mb (albeit with a high ping of ~120 ms).

I am considering upgrading to a 16mb plan, but wanted to run the UV Realtime data by the community - does everything look right? Anything else I can do to troubleshoot? 

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 3 (284 Views)
Employee

Re: Issues with streaming video services

[ Edited ]

At 2000 feet with a 3800, about what I would expect, could improve by upgrading to a 3801. Your loop length will increase by about 150 feet, your SN margin will drop a little should still be around 14 (9 is minimum, 15 and above is very good).

Your speed tests shows no issue with local connection.
Issue is traffic congestion, holiday weekend, demand placed on servers, auto adjust by netflex and others to balance speed with available bandwidth throughout grid.

Think interstate system 2 or 3 AM no problems doing max obtainable speed, now move time frame to rush hour traffic, not going to approach those max speeds even though the highway is the same. In a world of sharing, thats how it is.

even Verizon FIOS customers at 50M have same issue, buying the capability to go faster is great, but still limited by infrastructure and those trying to access service at the same time as yourself

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3 (248 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Issues with streaming video services

Hello Obi_Uno,

Just checking up on your post. I noticed 'My Thoughts' offered some great insight to help you with this issue. Let me know if you are still experiencing this problem and we'll be glad to assist you further, thank you! Smiley Happy

- MorganCS

- ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 3 (215 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.