Is this possible? Please help... I need to move my modem to another room...

Contributor

Is this possible? Please help... I need to move my modem to another room...

I have AT&T Uverse phone and internet. I have the AT&T 3801HGV modem/gateway. When it was originally installed, I had them put it in our front room. Now, I need to move it to a bedroom. (I know it's wireless, but I still need to move it.)

My problem is... Currently (everything working), there are TWO phone cords coming OUT of the front room wall jack. One goes INTO the phone 1&2 port. The other goes into the DSL port. If I unplug the one going INTO the phone 1&2 port, my phone (which is plugged into a DIFFERENT jack in the kitchen) goes dead. I have not seen ANY installation guides with the modem wired like this. (The phone 1&2 usually sends a phone cord OUT to a phone...)

My bedroom has a wall jack with two phone outlets. However, only one of them has a dial tone. Would I be able to put a DSL filter/splitter out of the one 'working' outlet, then into the DSL port on the modem and into phone 1&2? Or is there something special about how the original jack was wired to run internet and phone separately?

Basically, DOES UVERSE PHONE AND INTERNET NEED TO COME FROM A SPECIFICALLY 'WIRED' PHONE JACK IN THE HOUSE?? I'm really trying to avoid a $149 tech install just to move my computer!?!?  Please help! Thank You!

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Is this possible? Please help... I need to move my modem to another room...

mel772002 - The cord from the 1&2 jack IS the tel dial tone source. So, when you pull it you lose dial tone in the kitchen. You also lose dial tone in the bedroom?? Yes

The cord that connects to the DSL jack feeds the 3801. It is a direct line back to the NID. The U-verse DSL signal is NOT available on other jacks like it is with regular old DSL.

To move the 3801, you need to relocate/reconnect/extend the DSL connection wire to the new jack as a single direct connection. The 1&2 connection can be plugged into any tel jack that now (before the move) has dial tone. After the move the dial tone distribution in the house will be the same as it is now,

On the wire side both connections are the center pins on the jack. Google RJ-11 wiring to see pictures.

Post if you have more questions or want to verify something.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Is this possible? Please help... I need to move my modem to another room...

As aviewer said, the cable from the 1&2 port is backfeeding your voice service back to your house over the pair of wires that would normally come from the NID when using POTS, and the other cable is bringing your VDSL2 signal in from the VRAD via the NID.

I don't know exactly how your house is wired.  You could have a cable coming directly from the NID to your jack, which means that a whole new cable would have to be run to other outlets.  OTOH, the VDSL2 signal could be coming in on another pair of your normal phone cable.

The way to figure this out is to remove the wall plate at the RG and see how it is connected.  Is the cable connected to the second jack (the one with the green wire to the phone line port) the same as the one connected to the Line 1 & 2?  If so, make a note which color wires are connected to each jack.  Then look at the back of the wall plate in the other room.  Is it wired the same?  If so, you should be able to move the RG.  If not... well, then you need someone who can make them the same.  AT&T will send an installer out to do that for a fee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support