Helpful Links

Is there a way to set the max volume?

Contributor

Is there a way to set the max volume?

Hello!

tl;dr: The words in BOLD are the question.

Is there a way to set the max volume, as in, can you set it up so that one cannot go past a certain volume level so it does not get too loud?

My friend is an AT&T'er and her Uncle blasts his TV on all night dispite the fact that there are two kids under 10 and two teenagers who need to get sleep. It is starting to effect their daily lives now, getting sleepy in class; lower grades and harder tgo keep up.

He doesn't understand why it's bad and he will not stop it, so she is trying to find a way so that the TV volume can't go past a certain limit.

The automatic timers (If there is one), which allows you to turn the tv off at a certain time automatically would not help because it might enrage him even more, which is not what she's trying to do.

Thank you in advance.

PS Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Message 1 of 10
Employee

Re: Is there a way to set the max volume?

Volume level is a function of your tv, not the Uverse receiver. If your remote is programmed for your TV, depress volume up or down changes settings in TV not volume level out of set top box.

May either purchase small tv for uncle where volume does not go above 40 or 50, or purchase wireless headphones for him to use after bedtime for children.

Living with multiple people in same household is always a compromise, whether family members or not (room mates).
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10
Mentor

Here is what you can do.

When he isn't around turn on the tv with the remote.

Now with the remote push the ATT Button on the top left.

Now push the Volume Button down in the middle and you'll notice a volume bar going down 25, 24,23.

Set it at 15.

Now push the TV Button on the top of the remote and you'll have control of the tv volume but it will be reduced by 1/2. 

If it's still to loud repeat steps 1&2 to reduce the tv sound even more.

Good Luck and let me know how things worked out.

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert

Ellion - Yes, it is possible to accomplish your goal of limiting the TV volume. The answer is found in many earlier posts complaining about low volume with U-verse. I am not saying you should have found it. Just explaining that is proven to work.

The U-verse STB does have a volume control. In general use it is set at its max - 25 & the listening level is set by the TV. Lowering the STB level, will cause the TV to max out at a lower level.

When the TV is programmed on the U-verse remote, the default is the remote controls the TV. To change to the STB -
att/ok (simultaneously) - 955-att-enter (bottom right).

Use the U-verse remote to lower the STB volume & the TV remote to raise the TV volume to reach your objective max.

att/ok (simultaneously) - 955-tv-enter (bottom right) will return the U-verse remote to controlling the TV volume.

Probably the best overall solution is to get bluetooth or other wireless or IR driven headphones to make everyone happy. Use google or Amazon for selection.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
ACE - Master

my thoughts wrote:
Volume level is a function of your tv, not the Uverse receiver. If your remote is programmed for your TV, depress volume up or down changes settings in TV not volume level out of set top box.

May either purchase small tv for uncle where volume does not go above 40 or 50, or purchase wireless headphones for him to use after bedtime for children.

Living with multiple people in same household is always a compromise, whether family members or not (room mates).

my thoughts - The STB has a separate volume control, 0 min - 25 max.  If a subscriber has the U-Verse remote mapped to control volume via the TV, it makes it difficult to access the STB volume setting.  We see more complaints about too low volume, than too loud.  I have a new Hitachi TV, with the TV volume set very high and the STB maxed at 25, it is WAY too low.   Makes me wonder if some makes/models of the UV receivers are too soft while others provide adequate or maybe even excessive volume?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Employee

While I recongnize one can pursue aviewer excellent recommendations, a couple of possibilities exist.

1)the uncle (age unknown) may have a hearing issue, resulting in higher settings, by lowering max output of receiver, customer uncle will probably notice lower volume output, requesting a service visit to replace what they believe to be a defective unit (used to be louder)

2) the volume level stays the same at all times, as evening extends, background noise lessens making remaining volume level seeming higher. Some individuals do not like constantly having to make adjustments, prefer set and forget (think of posts where people complain that TV goes to blue screen when all they watch is one channel)

3) most are aware that commercials volume levels are higher than programming, as these occur on a regular basis, sensitive ears will notice more than others.

4) while a legitimate concern, there may be other factors affecting children's behavior especially teenagers who stay up late.

The best compromise is headphones, in my opinion, to deal with expressed concern(s).

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 10
Employee

my thoughts wrote:
While I recongnize one can pursue aviewer excellent recommendations, a couple of possibilities exist.

1)the uncle (age unknown) may have a hearing issue, resulting in higher settings, by lowering max output of receiver, customer uncle will probably notice lower volume output, requesting a service visit to replace what they believe to be a defective unit (used to be louder)

2) the volume level stays the same at all times, as evening extends, background noise lessens making remaining volume level seeming higher. Some individuals do not like constantly having to make adjustments, prefer set and forget (think of posts where people complain that TV goes to blue screen when all they watch is one channel)

3) most are aware that commercials volume levels are higher than programming, as these occur on a regular basis, sensitive ears will notice more than others.

4) while a legitimate concern, there may be other factors affecting children's behavior especially teenagers who stay up late.

The best compromise is headphones, in my opinion, to deal with expressed concern(s).

Very nice!! Smiley Very Happy

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 10

Here's a solution

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 10
Professor

Have they tried talking to thier father directly about the situation instead of attempting to be passive-agressive and changing the volume for him?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 9 of 10
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Here's a solution

You have to be careful when dealing with seniors, when it comes to driving, seeing, hearing, incontinence and so on.  If the subject is not broached gingerly, one could lose their inheritance.  Seriously. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Additional Support