Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 31, 2013
4:47:20 PM
View profile
Is it time to leave?

I've been poking around these and some related forums, learning a few dissapointing things.  A little over two years ago, I signed up for Uverse internet when I moved into my new house.  AT&T had run fiber to the home in the neighborhood and this was a selling point of the community.

I was dissapointed at the time that I could only get the 18Mb service and not AT&T's maximum offering of 24.  At the time, I wasn't able to get a really good explanation as to why or when it would become available.  So, I made it through my year contract and I'm now evaluating what's available.  At the time Uverse and Comcast were offering similar speed/price combos.

I've since learned from this forum that everyone who has fiber to the home is currently limited to the 18Mb maximum due to various bits of techincal jargon and that AT&T needs to upgrade something in order to get to the higher tier. It seems monumentally bizarre that a brand new neighborhood with fiber already to the houses would be stuck like this, but it is what it is.

Also, AT&T is working on rolling out higher speed services, promsing up to 75Mb capability.  I have to wonder, will I remain hosed at 18Mb while the copper houses enjoy all this new speed?  From what I've gathered reading through the forum, fixing the limitation that those of us with FTTP have is not a priority for AT&T.

At this point, cable is looking a lot more promsing.  Comcast is offering 50 and 105Mb service right now in my area.  While I think 50Mb would be plenty (and no sign of FIOS at 500Mb or Google at 1Gb coming anytime soon anyway), I have to wonder when/if AT&T is going to get their act together on this and if they are going to be competitive.

What are the pro's of remaining with Uverse at this point?  For what it's worth, TV and phone don't come into the equation as I get those services seperately.

I've been poking around these and some related forums, learning a few dissapointing things.  A little over two years ago, I signed up for Uverse internet when I moved into my new house.  AT&T had run fiber to the home in the neighborhood and this was a selling point of the community.

I was dissapointed at the time that I could only get the 18Mb service and not AT&T's maximum offering of 24.  At the time, I wasn't able to get a really good explanation as to why or when it would become available.  So, I made it through my year contract and I'm now evaluating what's available.  At the time Uverse and Comcast were offering similar speed/price combos.

I've since learned from this forum that everyone who has fiber to the home is currently limited to the 18Mb maximum due to various bits of techincal jargon and that AT&T needs to upgrade something in order to get to the higher tier. It seems monumentally bizarre that a brand new neighborhood with fiber already to the houses would be stuck like this, but it is what it is.

Also, AT&T is working on rolling out higher speed services, promsing up to 75Mb capability.  I have to wonder, will I remain hosed at 18Mb while the copper houses enjoy all this new speed?  From what I've gathered reading through the forum, fixing the limitation that those of us with FTTP have is not a priority for AT&T.

At this point, cable is looking a lot more promsing.  Comcast is offering 50 and 105Mb service right now in my area.  While I think 50Mb would be plenty (and no sign of FIOS at 500Mb or Google at 1Gb coming anytime soon anyway), I have to wonder when/if AT&T is going to get their act together on this and if they are going to be competitive.

What are the pro's of remaining with Uverse at this point?  For what it's worth, TV and phone don't come into the equation as I get those services seperately.

Is it time to leave?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 5:13:54 PM
(0)
Employee
who is/are the current providers for your other services?
FTTP is only limited to profile provisioning as higher tiers are made available using the 3800, 3801 or 589 RG
When you VHO is upgraded to new tiers they will be realized for your installment too without having to use pair bonding.

It appears FTTP has been treated as inid installs with same 25M profile and 18M internet even though many inids currently could support 32M profile.
Example 32 needed 20%+ headroom equals 39 or above, an inid with two pair at 28 would have 56M available to support 32 or even new 45M (30/3 HSIA)
Now if one line went out of service all services lost, depending on sync at Nid (say 30.5) inid could still function on one line at 25 profile but would not at 32.

As ATT has only offered three profiles recently (32,25,19) with the lowest being recently discontinued on new install but there are older installs in MDUs 3800 feet on 19M.

For you with options could try another provider (most have 30 day trial period), without canceling uverse internet till sure. This prevents reinstall if not satisfied, additional could always return when faster speed / cost are more favorable (return after 6 months or more get new customer promo pricing). Best to you and yours.
FTTP is only limited to profile provisioning as higher tiers are made available using the 3800, 3801 or 589 RG
When you VHO is upgraded to new tiers they will be realized for your installment too without having to use pair bonding.

It appears FTTP has been treated as inid installs with same 25M profile and 18M internet even though many inids currently could support 32M profile.
Example 32 needed 20%+ headroom equals 39 or above, an inid with two pair at 28 would have 56M available to support 32 or even new 45M (30/3 HSIA)
Now if one line went out of service all services lost, depending on sync at Nid (say 30.5) inid could still function on one line at 25 profile but would not at 32.

As ATT has only offered three profiles recently (32,25,19) with the lowest being recently discontinued on new install but there are older installs in MDUs 3800 feet on 19M.

For you with options could try another provider (most have 30 day trial period), without canceling uverse internet till sure. This prevents reinstall if not satisfied, additional could always return when faster speed / cost are more favorable (return after 6 months or more get new customer promo pricing). Best to you and yours.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Is it time to leave?

2 of 9 (843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 9:07:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

If I were you, I would hold out and wait. My wife and I were recently on Xfinity Blast Internet, Telephony and Tv plan. In the four months with them, I had without any exagerations, more than 2-3 technical issues every month. If it wasn't from constant speeds, it wass the DVR not functioning. The worst part was dealing with the imbesils and incompetent individuals that are working the call centers (reading scripts) and not having any empathy towards your particular situation. Our problems went so far, that they forced me to email the entire board of directors and top level hierarchy with a synopsis of my experiences with their company. Needless to say, I got someones attention and quick had an appeasement and some resolution, but overall I was dont with them. During the last event, I simply gave up and returned to my slower speeds (24Mbs) with AT&T until they upgrade. Their quality of tv image is by FAR greater and more consistent. The internet speeds are fine and will get better. And din the four years I had Uverse (since 08) I never trully had any issues.

Which brings me to the question...

When I just switched back to Uverse, the technician went to install the Motorola Modem (new one) but wouldn't synch with the tv boxes so I received the old style 2Wire. I understand from reading post, the Motorola modem is the one to have when the speeds increases come through. I wass wondering if a AT&T Uverse tech would help me have this corrected? I read further that the likely reason for the lack of synch may have been that the tecnician wass isntalling the modem via RJ-11 versus RJ-45 (Cat5+) direct cabling. Can someone from AT&T sort this out and set it up so that we have the Motorola Modem installed and new RJ45 cabling with it?

If I were you, I would hold out and wait. My wife and I were recently on Xfinity Blast Internet, Telephony and Tv plan. In the four months with them, I had without any exagerations, more than 2-3 technical issues every month. If it wasn't from constant speeds, it wass the DVR not functioning. The worst part was dealing with the imbesils and incompetent individuals that are working the call centers (reading scripts) and not having any empathy towards your particular situation. Our problems went so far, that they forced me to email the entire board of directors and top level hierarchy with a synopsis of my experiences with their company. Needless to say, I got someones attention and quick had an appeasement and some resolution, but overall I was dont with them. During the last event, I simply gave up and returned to my slower speeds (24Mbs) with AT&T until they upgrade. Their quality of tv image is by FAR greater and more consistent. The internet speeds are fine and will get better. And din the four years I had Uverse (since 08) I never trully had any issues.

Which brings me to the question...

When I just switched back to Uverse, the technician went to install the Motorola Modem (new one) but wouldn't synch with the tv boxes so I received the old style 2Wire. I understand from reading post, the Motorola modem is the one to have when the speeds increases come through. I wass wondering if a AT&T Uverse tech would help me have this corrected? I read further that the likely reason for the lack of synch may have been that the tecnician wass isntalling the modem via RJ-11 versus RJ-45 (Cat5+) direct cabling. Can someone from AT&T sort this out and set it up so that we have the Motorola Modem installed and new RJ45 cabling with it?

3 of 9 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 12:03:30 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by bauwls on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:10:07 PM

The new Motorola modems support both RJ-11 (RJ-14 for NVG589 Bonded Pair) and RJ-45. I suspect that didn't have much to do with not being able to get sync. If you are having no service issues, there more than likely will be a charge for a new CAT5 RJ-45 homerun. Even with service issues, after 30 days of install I believe methods and proceedures of premises technicians is to charge for that work unless you have the 6$/month home wiring protection.

Which model of RG do you have currently? I wasn't aware single pair installs are using the new Motorola modems yet, though I know the bonded pair installs are using NVG589's if the order is setup for it.

The new Motorola modems support both RJ-11 (RJ-14 for NVG589 Bonded Pair) and RJ-45. I suspect that didn't have much to do with not being able to get sync. If you are having no service issues, there more than likely will be a charge for a new CAT5 RJ-45 homerun. Even with service issues, after 30 days of install I believe methods and proceedures of premises technicians is to charge for that work unless you have the 6$/month home wiring protection.

Which model of RG do you have currently? I wasn't aware single pair installs are using the new Motorola modems yet, though I know the bonded pair installs are using NVG589's if the order is setup for it.

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 1:37:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by aydaz on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:26:15 PM

My reinstall (return to Uverse) occurred less than 1 week ago. The Modem installed is the 2Wire 3801HGV via RJ11 port.

I do not mind paying for the RJ45 rewire. Infact, I'm capable of running it myself if need be. I simply do not have the tools or the practicle knowledge to wire into the plugs in the walls.

My reinstall (return to Uverse) occurred less than 1 week ago. The Modem installed is the 2Wire 3801HGV via RJ11 port.

I do not mind paying for the RJ45 rewire. Infact, I'm capable of running it myself if need be. I simply do not have the tools or the practicle knowledge to wire into the plugs in the walls.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 6:51:46 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by bauwls on Aug 2, 2013 at 6:52:58 AM

There are only 2 new RGs that ATT is steadily deploying on VDSL2: Motorola NVG589 & Pace 5031. Pace 5031 is only for double play/single play and not capable of IPTV traffic. Motorola NVG589 is only being deployed for bonded pair installs and conversions currently. While NVG589 does have both single pair and bonded pair capabilities (and a 25% cost savings over 3801 & 50% over iNID), it is only being used for bonded pair installs currently. It's sometimes hot swappable with bonded pair but likely will be rejected and hence no sync with single pair.

Until ATT starts deploying NVG589's for customer's outside of Beta employee accounts for single pair, technicians will likely not be able to install it.

There are only 2 new RGs that ATT is steadily deploying on VDSL2: Motorola NVG589 & Pace 5031. Pace 5031 is only for double play/single play and not capable of IPTV traffic. Motorola NVG589 is only being deployed for bonded pair installs and conversions currently. While NVG589 does have both single pair and bonded pair capabilities (and a 25% cost savings over 3801 & 50% over iNID), it is only being used for bonded pair installs currently. It's sometimes hot swappable with bonded pair but likely will be rejected and hence no sync with single pair.

Until ATT starts deploying NVG589's for customer's outside of Beta employee accounts for single pair, technicians will likely not be able to install it.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 6:00:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

my thoughts wrote:

It may be "treated" as an iNid, but when I was in my two different apartment with FTTP my profile was the 32mb profile but could only get 18MB service.  I have an iNid install at the house I'm living in and I have no doubt I could support 24Mbps down.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

my thoughts wrote:

It may be "treated" as an iNid, but when I was in my two different apartment with FTTP my profile was the 32mb profile but could only get 18MB service.  I have an iNid install at the house I'm living in and I have no doubt I could support 24Mbps down.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (667 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 6:03:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

bauwls wrote:

I had an AT&T tech out last weekend for my internet and he had the new modem, however he said it was only available for new installs, regardless whether it's a single pair or an iNid installation.

bauwls wrote:

I had an AT&T tech out last weekend for my internet and he had the new modem, however he said it was only available for new installs, regardless whether it's a single pair or an iNid installation.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 9 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 3:08:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Interestingly enough, I recently had a technician here to the home to replace the Gateway/Modem because of issues we were having. He replaced the old 3801 with the new motorola NVG589 - wow! Now I have a modem that works, signal couldn't be better and according to the technician, now my spec's show we are <2k feet and have a signal strength well over 50k capacity that we didnt have before. Having seen this, he suggested bumping us up to 45/5 and he would put in an order. They called me the next day and stated they couldn't give us that regardless and without an explaination. How can you understand this? Many say yes, but one young lady says NO

DSL Status

Line State                                                         Up

Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)                          32339

Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)                               5041

Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)          56796

Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)               5041

Modulation                                                        VDSL2

Interestingly enough, I recently had a technician here to the home to replace the Gateway/Modem because of issues we were having. He replaced the old 3801 with the new motorola NVG589 - wow! Now I have a modem that works, signal couldn't be better and according to the technician, now my spec's show we are <2k feet and have a signal strength well over 50k capacity that we didnt have before. Having seen this, he suggested bumping us up to 45/5 and he would put in an order. They called me the next day and stated they couldn't give us that regardless and without an explaination. How can you understand this? Many say yes, but one young lady says NO

DSL Status

Line State                                                         Up

Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)                          32339

Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)                               5041

Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)          56796

Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)               5041

Modulation                                                        VDSL2

9 of 9 (423 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments