Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 20, 2013
4:35:31 PM
Is it normal to have weak signal strength?

Greetings!

i recently switched to u-verse and i have had very weak signals. The 2WIRE and RG are in my room but i do most of my work/gaming in another room. This room is around 20 feet away with a few walls in between so i dont expect the best signal but i cannot load a video or play a game to save my life. I have contacted friends with similar setups with possibly longer distances and their signal is perfect. I live in a condo and i pick up 3 other 2WIRE's higher or as strong as mine. I've already set a linksys as a repeater but before i integrate i would prefer some comfirmation that my equipement isnt faulty and these cases are normal.

Greetings!

i recently switched to u-verse and i have had very weak signals. The 2WIRE and RG are in my room but i do most of my work/gaming in another room. This room is around 20 feet away with a few walls in between so i dont expect the best signal but i cannot load a video or play a game to save my life. I have contacted friends with similar setups with possibly longer distances and their signal is perfect. I live in a condo and i pick up 3 other 2WIRE's higher or as strong as mine. I've already set a linksys as a repeater but before i integrate i would prefer some comfirmation that my equipement isnt faulty and these cases are normal.

Is it normal to have weak signal strength?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 4:44:05 PM
(0)
Employee
Your primary issue expect to be MDU (multi dwelling unit) where interference is occurring
Try using wifi analyzer or inSSIDer app to determine best non congestion channel and set RG manually.

Other options include moving RG or 50 foot Ethernet cable between RG and equipment (may need gig switch)

Your primary issue expect to be MDU (multi dwelling unit) where interference is occurring
Try using wifi analyzer or inSSIDer app to determine best non congestion channel and set RG manually.

Other options include moving RG or 50 foot Ethernet cable between RG and equipment (may need gig switch)

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Is it normal to have weak signal strength?

2 of 6 (2,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 7:08:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

A great write up by SomeJoe7777 that will help understanding How to Minimize Wireless Interference.

Take a look at it, should help you out.

A great write up by SomeJoe7777 that will help understanding How to Minimize Wireless Interference.

Take a look at it, should help you out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (2,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 2:17:51 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey stratovariuspb,

Just checking up on your post. The link that Jeffster_1 shared (authored by SomeJoe7777) about minimizing wireless interference is a fantastic resource to get the most out of your wireless internet service. I would highly recommend checking out the "InSSIDer" and "Channel Overlap" sections to make sure your not on a channel that is overlapping with another signal. Feel free to post back your results! Thank you! Smiley Happy

- MorganCS

- ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hey stratovariuspb,

Just checking up on your post. The link that Jeffster_1 shared (authored by SomeJoe7777) about minimizing wireless interference is a fantastic resource to get the most out of your wireless internet service. I would highly recommend checking out the "InSSIDer" and "Channel Overlap" sections to make sure your not on a channel that is overlapping with another signal. Feel free to post back your results! Thank you! Smiley Happy

- MorganCS

- ATTU-verseCare

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (2,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 5:42:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had download Wifi Analyzer but did not know how to interpret it, only noticed how my signal was less than two others. I did not know about the different wifi channels and explains how i was the only one of my friends with this issue and the only one living in a condo. Im still keeping the range extender since the wifi in my room is stillf better but the difference is much more reasonable. I now know how to check for which channels the wifi may be less interferency. Thanks so much for all your help guys!
I had download Wifi Analyzer but did not know how to interpret it, only noticed how my signal was less than two others. I did not know about the different wifi channels and explains how i was the only one of my friends with this issue and the only one living in a condo. Im still keeping the range extender since the wifi in my room is stillf better but the difference is much more reasonable. I now know how to check for which channels the wifi may be less interferency. Thanks so much for all your help guys!

5 of 6 (2,718 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 9:36:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
i decide to reopen to clear one thing up instead of making a new thread.

Summary - switched to uverse, 2WIRE is further this time, connection was awful. Opened thread, found out about switching channels, now internet is usable here.

Reason for reopening - Although it is now usable, the connection isnt perfect. Using WiFi Analyzer, i see my signal goes from second(ok i guess, assuming the first is right upstairs and closer than my other room) to -75dB along with/ or lower than many other networks.

Question - Is this the best i can hope for in a mutidwelling unit? is it ok to switch my cablebox with the other room's cablebox/2WIRE to have it closer(-20dB next to it)?
i decide to reopen to clear one thing up instead of making a new thread.

Summary - switched to uverse, 2WIRE is further this time, connection was awful. Opened thread, found out about switching channels, now internet is usable here.

Reason for reopening - Although it is now usable, the connection isnt perfect. Using WiFi Analyzer, i see my signal goes from second(ok i guess, assuming the first is right upstairs and closer than my other room) to -75dB along with/ or lower than many other networks.

Question - Is this the best i can hope for in a mutidwelling unit? is it ok to switch my cablebox with the other room's cablebox/2WIRE to have it closer(-20dB next to it)?

6 of 6 (2,534 Views)