Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 23, 2013
9:14:17 PM
View profile
Is 2wire 3800 HGV-B compatible with windows 8?

I bought a new HP laptop with windows 8 and having problems maintaining a wifi connection.  I have had this gateway since 2008; Does the firmware need to be updated?  On the computer side my drivers and bios are supposedly up to date; my old Dell Laptop has no issues connecting...  Please help!!

Hardware Version2700-100531-006
Software Version6.3.7.50-plus.tm

Thanks!

I bought a new HP laptop with windows 8 and having problems maintaining a wifi connection.  I have had this gateway since 2008; Does the firmware need to be updated?  On the computer side my drivers and bios are supposedly up to date; my old Dell Laptop has no issues connecting...  Please help!!

Hardware Version2700-100531-006
Software Version6.3.7.50-plus.tm

Thanks!

Is 2wire 3800 HGV-B compatible with windows 8?

9 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 9:37:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just got a new HP Envy Touchsmart 15 (Windows 8) this week, and I am having major wifi problems with it too.

I have taken the laptop to other wireless networks and it is fine.  I have plugged a different wireless router into my 2wire gateway, and the laptop can connect to that router fine.  It seems to me to be some problem specifically between my new laptop and the RG. 

I just got a new HP Envy Touchsmart 15 (Windows 8) this week, and I am having major wifi problems with it too.

I have taken the laptop to other wireless networks and it is fine.  I have plugged a different wireless router into my 2wire gateway, and the laptop can connect to that router fine.  It seems to me to be some problem specifically between my new laptop and the RG. 

Re: Is 2wire 3800 HGV-B compatible with windows 8?

2 of 10 (1,057 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 4:59:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Backslider - If you would like some specific suggestions you will have to kick it off with specific symptoms.
Backslider - If you would like some specific suggestions you will have to kick it off with specific symptoms.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 7:58:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:06:57 PM

2-Wire Gateway
3800HGV-8
Assembly Number: 4200-001039-011
S/N: [edited for privacy]

I have the same gateway and am having a string of infuriating issues with my new Win8 laptop.  Sometimes I experience them all together, sometimes one at a time.  But there's always SOMETHING.  So here's the list:

1.) Intermittent connetivity.

Randomly dropping to "limited connetivity" that will not resolve without disconneting first.

2.) Exteremely Low Connectivity

It only says I'm connected above 12MBps if I'm not using it.  Once I click a link, or even worse - attempt to download something, it instantly drops to 5.5MBps AT BEST.

3.) Dropped Packets/Aborted Downloads

I just can't seem to download a file past 40% before it decides it's not going to cooperate anymore.  I checked the log file for the gateway and find long lists that end with "dropped packet".

4.) Network Disruption!

We have a lot of wifi-connected devises (listed below).  At any given moment, 4-5 of them are actively streaming through the wifi and have had ZERO connetion issues until now.  Everything runs smoothly while I'm at work.  But once I come home and open the new laptop, the entire network is disrupted with lag and signal cut-outs.  If I close the laptop or disconnect it by any means, the problems go away.

Netbook (WinXP)

Netbook (Win7 Starter)

Playstation3/Xbox360/Wii

2 Cell phones

Laptop (Win8) - new, source of problems.

I have updated and restarted the Win8 system.  I have unplugged and reset the gateway.  I have toyed around with the connection settings.  I have modified the gateway's firewall settings for the new laptop, which granted me a 10-minute reprieve from my troubles before settling right back into the routine.

2-Wire Gateway
3800HGV-8
Assembly Number: 4200-001039-011
S/N: [edited for privacy]

I have the same gateway and am having a string of infuriating issues with my new Win8 laptop.  Sometimes I experience them all together, sometimes one at a time.  But there's always SOMETHING.  So here's the list:

1.) Intermittent connetivity.

Randomly dropping to "limited connetivity" that will not resolve without disconneting first.

2.) Exteremely Low Connectivity

It only says I'm connected above 12MBps if I'm not using it.  Once I click a link, or even worse - attempt to download something, it instantly drops to 5.5MBps AT BEST.

3.) Dropped Packets/Aborted Downloads

I just can't seem to download a file past 40% before it decides it's not going to cooperate anymore.  I checked the log file for the gateway and find long lists that end with "dropped packet".

4.) Network Disruption!

We have a lot of wifi-connected devises (listed below).  At any given moment, 4-5 of them are actively streaming through the wifi and have had ZERO connetion issues until now.  Everything runs smoothly while I'm at work.  But once I come home and open the new laptop, the entire network is disrupted with lag and signal cut-outs.  If I close the laptop or disconnect it by any means, the problems go away.

Netbook (WinXP)

Netbook (Win7 Starter)

Playstation3/Xbox360/Wii

2 Cell phones

Laptop (Win8) - new, source of problems.

I have updated and restarted the Win8 system.  I have unplugged and reset the gateway.  I have toyed around with the connection settings.  I have modified the gateway's firewall settings for the new laptop, which granted me a 10-minute reprieve from my troubles before settling right back into the routine.

[ Edited ]
4 of 10 (861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 10:11:24 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi BruisedEggplant,

I greatly apologize about the inconveniences you are having with your internet connection, but I will be glad to help. I had a similar problem a few years ago, and it was due to a device connecting to my network draining the amount of active NAT sessions on the gateway. With our gateways, they can only handle 1024 sessions at a time. Once all are used, then another session will have to wait until a previous session is done. 

What was happening on my network was that one device was tying up the router so badly, I could not even access the router GUI at http://192.168.1.254, and you do not even need internet to get there.

To check the number of NAT sessions:

1. Login to your gateway at http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select Diagnostics
  4. Select NAT

You will see a line that says session table, and it will say something like 900/1024 available. If the number is very low, then that is where your problem probably is.

You can see the traffic and where it is coming from to help identify what is causing the huge amount of sessions.

Let me know how it looks, and if everything looks fine, but you are still having problems, the router may need to be replaced.

If so, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi BruisedEggplant,

I greatly apologize about the inconveniences you are having with your internet connection, but I will be glad to help. I had a similar problem a few years ago, and it was due to a device connecting to my network draining the amount of active NAT sessions on the gateway. With our gateways, they can only handle 1024 sessions at a time. Once all are used, then another session will have to wait until a previous session is done. 

What was happening on my network was that one device was tying up the router so badly, I could not even access the router GUI at http://192.168.1.254, and you do not even need internet to get there.

To check the number of NAT sessions:

1. Login to your gateway at http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select Diagnostics
  4. Select NAT

You will see a line that says session table, and it will say something like 900/1024 available. If the number is very low, then that is where your problem probably is.

You can see the traffic and where it is coming from to help identify what is causing the huge amount of sessions.

Let me know how it looks, and if everything looks fine, but you are still having problems, the router may need to be replaced.

If so, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 10 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 2:05:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am absolutely still having problems.  Here is how the line appears:

session table 817/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

I tried again during a period when loading even the most simple of web data was a tedious challenge, and the 817 was 854.

Everything below that is nothing but gibberish for all I know about it.  If you think it would help, I can try copying it to send to you privately.  Or do you feel I should go directly for requesting a new device?

I am absolutely still having problems.  Here is how the line appears:

session table 817/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

I tried again during a period when loading even the most simple of web data was a tedious challenge, and the 817 was 854.

Everything below that is nothing but gibberish for all I know about it.  If you think it would help, I can try copying it to send to you privately.  Or do you feel I should go directly for requesting a new device?

6 of 10 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 2:16:47 PM
(0)
Community Support

Thank you for that information. The amount of sessions seems good. I can look further into your line to see if there are any possible signal issues. I will send you a private message to discuss this in more detail.

-David T

Thank you for that information. The amount of sessions seems good. I can look further into your line to see if there are any possible signal issues. I will send you a private message to discuss this in more detail.

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 10 (818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 9:34:14 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi BruisedEggplant,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you to getting this issue resolved.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hi BruisedEggplant,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you to getting this issue resolved.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

8 of 10 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2014 6:19:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi! I'm having similar problems with dropped/low signal on my new shiny computer. The NAT sessions page says:

current secs since boot: 2392675
session table 65/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

So that looks low. I need a new router? How can I do that without going through AT&T customer service purgatory? Help please?!! Thank you!

Hi! I'm having similar problems with dropped/low signal on my new shiny computer. The NAT sessions page says:

current secs since boot: 2392675
session table 65/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

So that looks low. I need a new router? How can I do that without going through AT&T customer service purgatory? Help please?!! Thank you!

9 of 10 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 9:05:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ultimately, the solution to the problem my HP laptop was having with the gateway was the Intel wi-fi adapter was a steaming pile of poo.  After HP sent me a replacement and the problem only got worse, they had me send in the entire system and ended up putting a card in from another manufacturer which I only recall that the name starts with an "R" (at work ATM, so I can't confirm).

So it wasn't the gateway, Win8, or any of the software; but rather the adapter card itself.  I reccommend inquiring further with HP Tech Support if you also have an Intel wi-fi adapter and see if they'll send you a replacement from another brand.

Ultimately, the solution to the problem my HP laptop was having with the gateway was the Intel wi-fi adapter was a steaming pile of poo.  After HP sent me a replacement and the problem only got worse, they had me send in the entire system and ended up putting a card in from another manufacturer which I only recall that the name starts with an "R" (at work ATM, so I can't confirm).

So it wasn't the gateway, Win8, or any of the software; but rather the adapter card itself.  I reccommend inquiring further with HP Tech Support if you also have an Intel wi-fi adapter and see if they'll send you a replacement from another brand.

10 of 10 (482 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments