Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 25, 2013
12:23:45 AM
Internet speeds slow down significantly after initial connection to the RG
Edited by fastforward on May 25, 2013 at 12:41:35 AM

Hello All,

I'm having an issue with my Internet speeds.  Let me give you some background.  I have uverse TV and Internet.  I have fiber running to my house.  The house is wired via Ethernet, which is how the connection is coming in from the box outside.  I have the 18MB plan.  Upon first connecting to the network via Wifi or Ethernet, I have excellent speeds.  My ping is less than 30ms and the download is about 17Mbps.  The connection progressively comes to a crawl.  Using speedtest.net, I see my speeds fluctuate between .9Mbps to 17Mbps and somewhere in between.  My ping times can get as high as 700ms.  Once the speeds go down, they stay slower than 13Mbps for the majority of the time.  AT&T came out to replace the RG.  That didn't help.  They came out to replace the box on the side of the house.  That didn't help.  Even the AT&T tech had the same issues on his iPad.  What else could the problem be?  I'm at a loss and don't know what to do.  Thanks for your help.

Hello All,

I'm having an issue with my Internet speeds.  Let me give you some background.  I have uverse TV and Internet.  I have fiber running to my house.  The house is wired via Ethernet, which is how the connection is coming in from the box outside.  I have the 18MB plan.  Upon first connecting to the network via Wifi or Ethernet, I have excellent speeds.  My ping is less than 30ms and the download is about 17Mbps.  The connection progressively comes to a crawl.  Using speedtest.net, I see my speeds fluctuate between .9Mbps to 17Mbps and somewhere in between.  My ping times can get as high as 700ms.  Once the speeds go down, they stay slower than 13Mbps for the majority of the time.  AT&T came out to replace the RG.  That didn't help.  They came out to replace the box on the side of the house.  That didn't help.  Even the AT&T tech had the same issues on his iPad.  What else could the problem be?  I'm at a loss and don't know what to do.  Thanks for your help.

Internet speeds slow down significantly after initial connection to the RG

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2013 8:17:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Having FTTH (Fiber to the Home) eliminates a great number of potential issues.  Having Cat 5e or better home wiring eliminates some potential weirdness you get from Coax.

Let me ask this:

1) Are these speed reductions visible both on wired connections to the RG as well as wireless connections to the RG?

2) Are you aware that IPTV will consume part of your 25/3 profile (at approximately 6 Mbps per HD stream viewed or recorded, 2 Mbps per SD stream), so that you will not have the full 18 Mbps available when watching or recording two or more HD streams?

3) Are you running any P2P, online backup or online game which distributes patches via P2P, such that your upstream bandwidth might be getting saturated?

4) Is there anything you can do that does bring up the speeds again?  Reboot PC?  Reboot RG?

5) How many devices do you have using the Internet connection?

Having FTTH (Fiber to the Home) eliminates a great number of potential issues.  Having Cat 5e or better home wiring eliminates some potential weirdness you get from Coax.

Let me ask this:

1) Are these speed reductions visible both on wired connections to the RG as well as wireless connections to the RG?

2) Are you aware that IPTV will consume part of your 25/3 profile (at approximately 6 Mbps per HD stream viewed or recorded, 2 Mbps per SD stream), so that you will not have the full 18 Mbps available when watching or recording two or more HD streams?

3) Are you running any P2P, online backup or online game which distributes patches via P2P, such that your upstream bandwidth might be getting saturated?

4) Is there anything you can do that does bring up the speeds again?  Reboot PC?  Reboot RG?

5) How many devices do you have using the Internet connection?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Internet speeds slow down significantly after initial connection to the RG

2 of 11 (5,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2013 1:53:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

1. Yes

2. TV is not running or recording when this is happening.

3. No

4. The only thing that gets it to boost is to reestablish a connection.  For example, I unplug Ethernet and turn on Wireless.  It's normal speed.  Then it slows down.  Then I turn off wirelsess and plugin Ethernet.  It's fast at first and then it slows down.

5. It happens with 1 or multiple devices connected.

1. Yes

2. TV is not running or recording when this is happening.

3. No

4. The only thing that gets it to boost is to reestablish a connection.  For example, I unplug Ethernet and turn on Wireless.  It's normal speed.  Then it slows down.  Then I turn off wirelsess and plugin Ethernet.  It's fast at first and then it slows down.

5. It happens with 1 or multiple devices connected.

3 of 11 (5,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2013 5:04:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

For grins and giggles, the next time you see signficant issues, take your browser to http://192.168.1.254/ (Your RG) and navigate to Settings, then diagnostics.  On my router this is:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_5

Scroll down to this section:

Current NAT Sessions

current secs since boot: 10419467
session table 906/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

The coloring is mine for reference.  Let's see if your session tables are full.  If the number I made green is low (under a 100) or the number in red is large (over 500), then this may indicate some issue.

Post back here and let us know.

For grins and giggles, the next time you see signficant issues, take your browser to http://192.168.1.254/ (Your RG) and navigate to Settings, then diagnostics.  On my router this is:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_5

Scroll down to this section:

Current NAT Sessions

current secs since boot: 10419467
session table 906/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

The coloring is mine for reference.  Let's see if your session tables are full.  If the number I made green is low (under a 100) or the number in red is large (over 500), then this may indicate some issue.

Post back here and let us know.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (4,999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2013 5:38:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

current secs since boot: 100457
session table 948/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

It looks to be normal. I don't think the RG is the problem since the new one is performing exactly the same as the one it replaced.  

current secs since boot: 100457
session table 948/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

It looks to be normal. I don't think the RG is the problem since the new one is performing exactly the same as the one it replaced.  

5 of 11 (4,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2013 7:57:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That report wasn't so much to find a hardware problem with the RG, but to see if you're experiencing a particular resource limitation with the software (which would be the same for all RGs).  But, you're not.

I'm out of things to check.  Maybe someone else has an idea to offer.

That report wasn't so much to find a hardware problem with the RG, but to see if you're experiencing a particular resource limitation with the software (which would be the same for all RGs).  But, you're not.

I'm out of things to check.  Maybe someone else has an idea to offer.

6 of 11 (4,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2013 8:51:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
OK - I will come up with a wild and crazy solution. Aren't 18 and 24 two levels of service that compete with the TV for bandwidth - Hence Jeffer's question are the TVs on? Even though the answer was no, there could be something wrong with that circuit in the RG. But, it is the same an a new RG. The new one has the same problem.

Another possibility is incompatibility with the FTTH architecture. I say this based on the TV service offering once (now?) being less than copper service.

Contact attcustomercare via this PM link to get the techs from the labs to figure it out - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773
OK - I will come up with a wild and crazy solution. Aren't 18 and 24 two levels of service that compete with the TV for bandwidth - Hence Jeffer's question are the TVs on? Even though the answer was no, there could be something wrong with that circuit in the RG. But, it is the same an a new RG. The new one has the same problem.

Another possibility is incompatibility with the FTTH architecture. I say this based on the TV service offering once (now?) being less than copper service.

Contact attcustomercare via this PM link to get the techs from the labs to figure it out - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

7 of 11 (4,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 10:02:18 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi fastforward,

I just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi fastforward,

I just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

8 of 11 (4,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:12:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

This problem has been resolved.  AT&T social media support was awesome.  The problem was with the optical network terminal on the side of the house.  The software on that needed to be updated.  Now it works as it should. 

This problem has been resolved.  AT&T social media support was awesome.  The problem was with the optical network terminal on the side of the house.  The software on that needed to be updated.  Now it works as it should. 

9 of 11 (4,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:16:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Excellent.  Glad you're fixed up and thank you for letting us know.

Excellent.  Glad you're fixed up and thank you for letting us know.

10 of 11 (4,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:01:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Btw, the issue was more than likely an RJ45 end that was assembled incorrectly, therefore you had crossed pairs going to the RG, seems to be an issue, since the feed from the ONT (Optical Netowrk Terminal) to the RG is an ethernet cable into the RED broadband port. Making an ethernet cable can be a hassle if you haven't had alot of practice doing it hence it happens quite alot.

Btw, the issue was more than likely an RJ45 end that was assembled incorrectly, therefore you had crossed pairs going to the RG, seems to be an issue, since the feed from the ONT (Optical Netowrk Terminal) to the RG is an ethernet cable into the RED broadband port. Making an ethernet cable can be a hassle if you haven't had alot of practice doing it hence it happens quite alot.

11 of 11 (4,602 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments