Helpful Links

Internet Gateway malfunction...again...and again

Contributor

Internet Gateway malfunction...again...and again

Unsure if this is the right place to post this message.

I signed up for AT&T U-verse internet about 6 weeks back, and chose self installation. The internet gateway that was shipped to me was easy to install (2WIRE device) but its "wireless" function worked for 2 minutes. For rest of the few days till I got another device shipped by AT&T, I used the internet service via ethernet cable directly, sitting next to a wall.

The second gateway, similar 2WIRE device, installed like a charm, but again the wireless function stopped working after ~1 week. Again, internet was working fine via direct ethernet port. This time, AT&T sent a service rep to my address who tried to re-store the "wireless" function of the Internet gateway; no success. This time as well, I was left with yet another faulty hardware. AT&T was kind enough to send me a third hardware, again 2WIRE device, and kind enough to charge me for the first 2 devices which I didn't get a chance to return back to them.

Anyways, I installed the third device, again worked like a charm for 2 days, following which the wireless function disappeared.

I have been re-starting the gateway and my computer in the order mentioned on the instruction sheet that comes with the hardware to ensure that is not the problem. I have 3 devices that connects to the internet, none of the devices are able to detect my home wireless network once it vanishes (vs I can connect to one of my neighbour's network which I asked for the permission just to ensure that my devices are working fine).

I am planning to drop AT&T services for internet as out of the last 6 weeks, I used the wireless internet function for about 10 days a total. Not to mention that my encounters with telephone representatives have been less than pleasant.

Any suggestions if I should do something else before dropping the service?

Are there any formal complaint page where I can put up my issue since I think AT&T  somehow is dealing with the most flimsy manufacturer for 2WIRE hardware ?

Is there something I might be doing wrong that 3 hardwares failed within a short span of time ? (My apartment has all the usual appliances you would think in a regular apartment, all working perfect).

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
Employee

Re: Internet Gateway malfunction...again...and again

You failed to mention model of RG....
510 is adsl2+ circuit, CO or IRAD connection, no IPTV service available at your address.

3600 is vdsl circuit less than 2200 feet....
5031 is vdsl circuit for longer loop lengths, up to 3500 feet.

If units have been grey 3600, ask for black 5031, if 510 recently released new 5168 could ask for.

You are billed $100 for the new unit, need to sent defective(s) back to receive $100 credit as these are customer purchased RGs.
The RGs do have a one year warranty, as no where near the year just return via a UPS store, needs your account number.
Once received and verified defective will receive the credit on statement, save information for tracking if claimed not received.

Failure to return means you have expensive matching bookends.

You had an initial 30 days to cancel without penalty, after 30 days the ETF (earlt termination fee) is $180. FYI.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, although it was too technical for me to understand. What does RG stand for?

My model is probably 3600.

I will be asking AT&T to terminate the service since it is due to their equipment failure, will return the equipments, and request to waive off the entire contract. Lets see how that goes. I really hope AT&T shows some accountability on their equipment and honor the trouble their customer went through.

Message 3 of 6
Community Support

Hi anoopaiims,

I apologize for the issues you have been having with the wireless ability on your U-verse Routers.

RG stands for Residential Gateway. There are many issues that come into play with wireless, but usually, changing the channel helps a lot. Checkout this awesome article from SomeJoe7777 on How to minimize Wireless Interference,

Wireless Interference Troubleshooting

Also, if you have your own router, it may be worth disabling the wireless ability on the U-verse router and using yours for wireless connection.

Let us know how it goes!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Thanks for the info. The information on how to minimize wireless interference is nicely laid out. I will try it tomorrow. Do you think this will work even when your computer fails to recognize the SSID at all, even if your laptop is sitting next to the RG?

Message 5 of 6
Community Support

It may not. When the device is not able to see the SSID for the U-verse connection, does it see any other connections available?

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support