Internet Drops at Certain times of day - Internet speeds diminish all day long

Internet Drops at Certain times of day - Internet speeds diminish all day long

[ Edited ]

Where to start. After being hounded for 3 months to upgrade to UVerse Internet (at least one call every other day for 3 months) our business reluctantly went further into the lackluster future by upgrading in November. From our install date in mid-November through December (wow, a month and a half) our internet appeared to be fine. Overall not much faster at all like were were promised, but there was a slight increase, mainly in upload speeds. We upload files to our printer each week and where we were getting about 78Kbs speeds, it was increased to about 110Kbs. I was relatively pleased with it as up is up. 

Starting January 2, our internet connections have been, at best, low grade with intermittent loss of speed throughout the day. As the house IT guy, I've had to bear complaints from just about everyone of our 23 employees. "I thought we upgraded", "I'm having trouble connecting", "Why is it so slow" and on and on. I've had to resort to telling them not to go with ATT for internet. Customer service always has been on the low end of acceptable. Which is why I've taken to these forums instead of getting shuffled around through the gawdaful phone support interface for an hour.

Now, just this week, a new problem has arisen. Every evening, anytime between around 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. the internet either drops or crawls at snails pace. In my first paragraph, I mentioned we were getting around 110Kbs upload speeds. Last night I stayed an hour later to upload our files at the antiquated, unacceptable rate of 23Kbs. This is the future of Uverse and ATT internet?

After reading through numerous posts with people having the same problem I couldn't help but laugh outloud and shake my head in disbelief. It appears the problem could be anything from light bulbs (not sure if I believe that one), to power surges by the city, to a bad modem, to cables, to surge protectors, to line filters and about 50 other shots in the dark. And mind you, all after giving in to the myriad of phone calls to upgrade to a new, better internet. Ha! Also after searching I can only expect that this problem would persist forever until I either buy a new modem, line filters, cables, have tech people come out numerous times and try to replace everything, etc… I would guess ATT would cover all those costs, but I would also guess that I could be wrong about that. 

So, after enough ranting on my end. I'd like to ask a few questions to try to improve my situation. I will start by saying that we have the Elite package. Doing a speed test last night during the problems and before this message, here are the results.

TODAY - 1st Test  Upload Speed - .57 Mbps  Download Speed - 2.87 Mbps

TODAY - 2nd Test  Upload Speed - .70 Mbps Download Speed - 6.78 Mbps

LAST NIGHT - Upload Speed - .3 Mbps   Download Speed - 4.20 Mbps

Questions:

1. The obvious, what is going on?

2. I've read about installing line filters on all of our phone lines. We do have around 20 phones and a fax machine. Before I buy all of those, potentially throwing money out the window, I ask: Is that really necessary? If it is necessary, why did it work fine for a month and a half? How much do they cost and where's the best place to get them? Does it have to be through ATT?

3. Why, if those are necessary, didn't anyone ever mention that at any point in the process of getting UVerse Internet? Shouldn't the installer have brought those out and told me I'd need to use them? Even if he was selling them out of his brief case like a rolex salesman in New York.

4. I've been trying to find out what the actual upload speed should be with the Elite package but could not find any information whatsoever. What should it be?

5. During the day, when the internet actually runs better, we have around 18 users online at any given time. At night, when there's at most 7 people here, why does the internet slow down so much?

6. We have, I believe 5 static IP Addresses and the rest are not. The static are used for software we use with our server and for some of our printers. Why is it that the non-static IP address, when doing a speed test, show up as us being located in Wichita KS instead of actually where we are located in St. Louis, MO? When doing a speed test on our server with the static IP, it does show up pinging to St. Louis, although it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the dropped speed.

I hope someone can answer these questions. I'm at the point of getting rid of ATT for our business but considering I've had to put up with endless phone calls for months, upgrading all of our computers to the proper Mac Operating System, I thought I'd give it a chance to be resolved before embarking on a whole new company.

Thanks in advance - Frustrated but hopeful - Randy

Message 1 of 24 (3,392 Views)

Re: Internet Drops at Certain times of day - Internet speeds diminish all day long

[ Edited ]

OK. I went through all the computers and basically everything was set up fine except for a couple places where the DNS Server and the router number were the same. I put the correct DNS server number in. So now it's back to square one really. Someone last night said the internet really crawled around 5:30 p.m. We'll be uploading our files again on Wednesday. There is a new postage machine that now needs to have access to the internet, they say for making updating the machine easier. I can't imagine they do updates every evening but it is a definite possibility. My next step is to unplug the ethernet cable the next time there is a problem and see if that is what is causing the disturbance. Also, an ATT tech is coming out on Thursday morning to check on the interference they say is happening. If there was interference, wouldn't that have been shown somewhere in the screen shots I posted?

The last question. Why is it that nobody can seem to say what upload speed we are supposed to get for the plan that we have purchased? Download speeds are all you get when trying to figure out what plan to buy. I would consider upgrading to the next level, but if I can't be sure the upload speed would increase I wouldn't be able to do it.

Thanks for all your help.

Message 16 of 24 (3,051 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Internet Drops at Certain times of day - Internet speeds diminish all day long

The RG is normally both the default gateway and the default DNS server, but you can configure the clients to use another DNS if you want.

Yes, I would think that interference would indeed show up on the stats, but it usually doesn't hurt to let the tech look.

The upload rates are:

6 Mpbs down, 1.0 Mbps Up

12 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps Up

18 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps Up

24 Mbps down, 3 Mbps Up

45 Mbps down, 6 Mbps up (I think...)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 24 (3,041 Views)

Thanks a lot Jeff. Much appreciated.

Randy

Message 18 of 24 (3,027 Views)

Sorry, one last question, unrelated. 

If we were to upgrade our Uverse Internet Service from say Elite to Max Plus or even Elite to Max Turbo, would we need a new router and have to reset everything up with new IP Addresses?

Our current Modem is 5031 NV

Thanks!

Randy

Message 19 of 24 (3,018 Views)
ACE - Expert

The PACE 5031NV is good up through the 24 Mbps (Max Turbo, IIRC) level.  To go to 45 Mbps you have to switch over to the NVG 589.  To get 300 Mbps, you have to move to Austin, TX.  Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 24 (3,006 Views)
Employee

All interference means is that either on current testing or past history the RG shows either or both FEC (corrected) or CRC (uncorrected) errors.

An electrcal storm will produce these errors as will a great many other things.
Other possibilities http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoot/interference.php

This is way for phone support to justify tech dispatch without doing DOD (dispatch on demand) which incurrs a $149 charge.
On a standard dispatch should be informed of possible $99 service charge depending on the techs findings.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 24 (2,999 Views)

Great, thanks again Jeff.
Message 22 of 24 (2,976 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Thank you. Nobody has informed me of any kind of service charges. I'm hoping our internet will drop again tonight so I can do some troubleshooting while it's happening. 

Message 23 of 24 (2,947 Views)

Update: to put some closure on this thread. The tech installed a new line to the RG, he said he noticed interference by the modem. We also are on a trial of faster speeds. So far it is okay but we haven't been here in the evening since he's installed it. I guess we will see if the evening interference/slow down is still a problem at some point. If we don't see troubles, then I gather it is fixed. 

Thanks again for all your help. If the problems still persists I imagine I'll be back.

Message 24 of 24 (2,851 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.