U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 29, 2012
5:13:38 PM
View profile
Internal volume on Uverse
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 29, 2012 at 7:27:49 PM

After hours of frustration, I found that the uverse receiver has an internal volume which was set to zero. The only way to adjust it is to reset the receiver remote to factory settings, then the remote controls the receiver volume. Follow your remote insert instructions. For my in-laws setup it was (a) press ATT and OK and hold for 2 sec, (b) press 9 - 0 - 0.

I think the uvserse design is very poor. WinCE? Give me a break Cisco.

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

After hours of frustration, I found that the uverse receiver has an internal volume which was set to zero. The only way to adjust it is to reset the receiver remote to factory settings, then the remote controls the receiver volume. Follow your remote insert instructions. For my in-laws setup it was (a) press ATT and OK and hold for 2 sec, (b) press 9 - 0 - 0.

I think the uvserse design is very poor. WinCE? Give me a break Cisco.

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

Internal volume on Uverse

[ Edited ]
13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2012 7:29:16 PM
(0)
Professor
All Set top boxes & DVR's have a internal volume, that can be controlled if you change the setting on the remote to control the box volume, not tv volume.

So it is not a Cisco or WinCE design issue. Try again deaven.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

So it is not a Cisco or WinCE design issue. Try again deaven.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Re: Internal volume on Uverse

2 of 14 (3,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 1:24:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
I can not figure out how to control my box with the remote???
I can not figure out how to control my box with the remote???

3 of 14 (3,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 1:27:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
rodpugh- What is it you want todo?
rodpugh- What is it you want todo?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 14 (3,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 3:27:16 PM
(0)
Employee

For this issue, you could:

- Contact tech support and ask them to reset the STB volume

- Factory reset the remote, set the STB volume, then reprogram it

- Configure the remote to control either the STB or the TV volume based on the device key selected:

A2. Send Volume or Channel Commands only to the Device Mode selected

1. Press and hold the AT&T key along with the OK key. Hold both keys for one second, then release. All the mode keys flash twice.

2. Enter 9 5 5 for volume, or 9 6 6 for channel using the numeric keypad. The AT&T key will flash twice to confirm the correct entry.

3. Press the Enter key (at the lower right corner). The AT&T key will give a long flash to confirm successful programming.

For this issue, you could:

- Contact tech support and ask them to reset the STB volume

- Factory reset the remote, set the STB volume, then reprogram it

- Configure the remote to control either the STB or the TV volume based on the device key selected:

A2. Send Volume or Channel Commands only to the Device Mode selected

1. Press and hold the AT&T key along with the OK key. Hold both keys for one second, then release. All the mode keys flash twice.

2. Enter 9 5 5 for volume, or 9 6 6 for channel using the numeric keypad. The AT&T key will flash twice to confirm the correct entry.

3. Press the Enter key (at the lower right corner). The AT&T key will give a long flash to confirm successful programming.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 14 (3,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 2:46:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

My sound runs through a stereo amp for surround sound. It used to work great - would drive you out of the room. I had a service call and one tech said I wasn't getting HD because there was a yellow cable plugged in to the back of the Uverse box., so he yanked it. It was one of the 3 RCA? plugs.

Now I have another problem which may or may not have started then. Lately I can hardly hear the sound with both the amp and the box on full volume. I don't think I am using the TV volume because I have a center speaker. The symbol on the screen is a typical speaker with sound waves coming out and I now have to run it up to 25 (the highest). We used to hear surround great at 17.

Uverse has run a couple of checks laely and had to come out and fix an outside line. Could those line checks have screwed up my volume?

TIA

My sound runs through a stereo amp for surround sound. It used to work great - would drive you out of the room. I had a service call and one tech said I wasn't getting HD because there was a yellow cable plugged in to the back of the Uverse box., so he yanked it. It was one of the 3 RCA? plugs.

Now I have another problem which may or may not have started then. Lately I can hardly hear the sound with both the amp and the box on full volume. I don't think I am using the TV volume because I have a center speaker. The symbol on the screen is a typical speaker with sound waves coming out and I now have to run it up to 25 (the highest). We used to hear surround great at 17.

Uverse has run a couple of checks laely and had to come out and fix an outside line. Could those line checks have screwed up my volume?

TIA

6 of 14 (3,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 3:04:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
captrc - The sound icon you describe says you are controlling the STB volume. So, you would leave the TV and the amp at a fixed middle volume and vary the STB to a comfortable level.

If the sound from the amp is too low you need to turn it up.

But, if you say the amp is already all the way up there must be something wired wrong. How is it wired?
The yellow plug does not deliver HD. You have either HDMI or component to deliver HD.

Any problems are within the STB & amp & wiring. Not outside.
captrc - The sound icon you describe says you are controlling the STB volume. So, you would leave the TV and the amp at a fixed middle volume and vary the STB to a comfortable level.

If the sound from the amp is too low you need to turn it up.

But, if you say the amp is already all the way up there must be something wired wrong. How is it wired?
The yellow plug does not deliver HD. You have either HDMI or component to deliver HD.

Any problems are within the STB & amp & wiring. Not outside.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (3,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 10:58:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the reply. 

I got a new box over the weekend - same problem. All sound very low on highest settings in Pro-logic and Hall settings - volume OK in Stereo, but sounds kind of crappy because my good speaker is the center one and the side speakers weren't high quality.

Do I need a service call ($80 if nothing wrong) fron AT&T, or a visit from Best Buy or Jim's TV to check it out (cost unknown)?

Is it possible I am getting sound, but not surround sound signals from AT&T?

Thanks for the reply. 

I got a new box over the weekend - same problem. All sound very low on highest settings in Pro-logic and Hall settings - volume OK in Stereo, but sounds kind of crappy because my good speaker is the center one and the side speakers weren't high quality.

Do I need a service call ($80 if nothing wrong) fron AT&T, or a visit from Best Buy or Jim's TV to check it out (cost unknown)?

Is it possible I am getting sound, but not surround sound signals from AT&T?

8 of 14 (3,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 11:54:04 AM
(0)
Professor
It is an issue with your av setup. Nothing ATT can fix.

9 of 14 (3,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 1:37:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

I thought of one more thing to try. I'll rent a surround sound DVD from Blockbuster and see what I get. That way I'll know id the SS section of my amp. is gone.

I'm still leery of AT&T because they came out a couple of months ago and said one wire to the house either wasn't hooked up or was bad and that was why we hadn't been getting HD. In my mind, that coule have happened about the time we lost Srround Sound volume. We have to have both my amp and the tuner  at max to watch a SS show.

I thought of one more thing to try. I'll rent a surround sound DVD from Blockbuster and see what I get. That way I'll know id the SS section of my amp. is gone.

I'm still leery of AT&T because they came out a couple of months ago and said one wire to the house either wasn't hooked up or was bad and that was why we hadn't been getting HD. In my mind, that coule have happened about the time we lost Srround Sound volume. We have to have both my amp and the tuner  at max to watch a SS show.

10 of 14 (3,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 2:58:02 PM
(0)
Professor
If your AV receiver haas blown amps in it, playing a Dvd will not fix it. You need to replace the AV receiver.

11 of 14 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 4:16:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, I know a DVD won't fix it, but if it plays adequate surround sound with a DVD I'll know the amp is capable of it so the problem is external to the amp. Right?

Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about a Stero Amplifier that my speakers are run through to get sound.

Are you talking about the AV reciever that came from U-Verse? I got a new one over the weekend and there was no change in the Surround Sounsd or Hall settings volume on my amp - the sound only comes in good on the stereo setting on my amp. 

Playing a Surround Sound DVD should prove if my  amp is ok. Don't internal IC's and other parts usually just fail? I've never heard of one losing half it's output (volume) and still working with good but soft sound?

Well, I know a DVD won't fix it, but if it plays adequate surround sound with a DVD I'll know the amp is capable of it so the problem is external to the amp. Right?

Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about a Stero Amplifier that my speakers are run through to get sound.

Are you talking about the AV reciever that came from U-Verse? I got a new one over the weekend and there was no change in the Surround Sounsd or Hall settings volume on my amp - the sound only comes in good on the stereo setting on my amp. 

Playing a Surround Sound DVD should prove if my  amp is ok. Don't internal IC's and other parts usually just fail? I've never heard of one losing half it's output (volume) and still working with good but soft sound?

12 of 14 (3,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 4:55:49 PM
(0)
Professor
ATT does not give out AV receivers. If your Stereo or AV receiver, what ever you are using is not working properly, there is no magic pixie dust, dvd, changing out the provider's set top box/dvr that will every magically fix the electronics inside your device that is not working.

And yes, electronic parts do fail, and you stating that there are problems with you having to turn it up, either means you have a bad receiver, bad speakers, incorrectly setup receiver, or speakers that are not the proper wattage for your stereo receiver/av receiver.

ATT does not give out AV receivers. If your Stereo or AV receiver, what ever you are using is not working properly, there is no magic pixie dust, dvd, changing out the provider's set top box/dvr that will every magically fix the electronics inside your device that is not working.

And yes, electronic parts do fail, and you stating that there are problems with you having to turn it up, either means you have a bad receiver, bad speakers, incorrectly setup receiver, or speakers that are not the proper wattage for your stereo receiver/av receiver.

13 of 14 (3,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 1:14:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

It is a problem with ATT.  I have a $2000 tv that sounds muted connected to ATT.  Hook it up with Time Warner and it sounds great.  Problem is I don't like Time Warner!

It is a problem with ATT.  I have a $2000 tv that sounds muted connected to ATT.  Hook it up with Time Warner and it sounds great.  Problem is I don't like Time Warner!

14 of 14 (2,101 Views)