Intermittent signal

Contributor

Intermittent signal

We've had u-verse for about a month.  It's somewhat better than DSL and we didn't have any problems getting a signal anywhere in the house.  Three days ago the signal went down and didn't come back for several hours.  We rebooted everything and finally got it working again, but now we have a terribly intermittent signal upstairs.  It goes in and out for seconds or minutes.  The technician came but the signal is still terrible upstairs.  He said to get a repeater but that doesn't explain why he signal was fine before and now is horrible.  I'm checking out Comcast as they say they can give me speeds 10 times faster instead of just 3 times! 

Message 1 of 3 (155 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Intermittent signal

Wireless is a finicky thing.  You can download inSSIDer here: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and run it.  It will recommend the cleanest channel to switch to.

You can also get one if these to extend the wireless signal: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufactu...=

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3 (135 Views)
Tutor

Re: Intermittent signal

I am not an AT&T employee, stockholder, and never have been.  But switching to Comcast because it's "faster" will not fix your WiFi problem.

You have to use a WiFi radio with Comcast as well as AT&T.  It may be a different box, but most likely it's your particular building, neighbors, the phase of the moon.  Your signal may be interfering with the neighbor, all kinds of things.

Second, the "faster" Comcast signal is so poorly understood as to be basically a myth.  Depending on your service territory, you might be offered as much as 100Mbps, but you are likely to use far far less than that.

See my recent post for tips on this sort of intermittant problem. I agree that downloading inSSIDer is the first step.  It will tell you a lot about the signals in your house.  The post is titled something like "ATT UVerse and WiFi issues, tips, and solutions"

Message 3 of 3 (122 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.