Intermittent Slow Speeds Using Wifi

Intermittent Slow Speeds Using Wifi

Hi all,

Had a tech come install the internet two days ago.
He installed modem in the garage. I live in a 80's home. It is a two-story 1822 sq ft home.

Hard wired, I am getting a constant 12.50 download speed. However, over wifi, every 20 minutes or so, the speeds will drop to 5.0 download. I have checked to make sure no one else is on the network. And this has happened in the 2nd room over from the garage.

I guess my big question is how I move the modem to the phone jack inside the house. AT&T said it would cost $99. Ouch! I tried to just plug the modem into that kitchen phone jack, but it wouldn't show internet connectio. Sometimes in our office, the wifi signal drops to 3 bars on my Windows 8 machine.

Also, I live in Austin, TX. Won't it get really hot in the garage?

Message 1 of 6 (2,824 Views)

Re: Intermittent Slow Speeds Using Wifi

Message 2 of 6 (2,780 Views)

My plan says I will get up to 12 MBPS

Message 3 of 6 (2,779 Views)

Message 4 of 6 (2,778 Views)
ACE - Guru

You need to check your speed on a wired connection.

If you are having problems over WiFi, read through this thread.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (2,761 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Unfortunate yes, once install is completed a request to move any equipment is billable.

The Uverse service is separate from your phone line.
A dedicated line, ideally cat5e, from NID to RG location.
If your current phone wiring is cat3 may be used, using a spare pair to provide signal path, with either new jack (preferred) or rewire existing jack

If have quad phone wire (red/green/yellow/black) will need new wire pulled add $55 to the $99 labor charge.
you are receiving your 12M internet, you admit to constantly receiving 12M hardwired.

wireless speeds are not guarteened

may wish to consider wifi range extender this is recommended

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufactu...

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 6 (2,739 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.