Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 28, 2014
6:52:36 PM
View profile
Installation fee for simple speed increase?

I have 12 Mbps and want to upgrade the speed, which means you just have to unthrottle the connection. So why does that cost $99? I did a self install before and I don't think this needs new equipment or anything.

I have 12 Mbps and want to upgrade the speed, which means you just have to unthrottle the connection. So why does that cost $99? I did a self install before and I don't think this needs new equipment or anything.

Installation fee for simple speed increase?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 7:00:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Au contrare.

The increase to 18, 24 or 45 Mbps require a higher connection profile than is normally configured for self-installs (normaly 13.5, if I am not mistaken).  These higher connection profiles have higher requirements on the line and thus all require a technician visit to be sure that the entire line from the VRAD to the NID is of sufficient quality to carry the demand, and possibly to install a new home run from the NID to the RG (if needed).

The pay off is not immediately having to call a tech out to find out why your line keeps disconnecting.

Au contrare.

The increase to 18, 24 or 45 Mbps require a higher connection profile than is normally configured for self-installs (normaly 13.5, if I am not mistaken).  These higher connection profiles have higher requirements on the line and thus all require a technician visit to be sure that the entire line from the VRAD to the NID is of sufficient quality to carry the demand, and possibly to install a new home run from the NID to the RG (if needed).

The pay off is not immediately having to call a tech out to find out why your line keeps disconnecting.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Installation fee for simple speed increase?

2 of 3 (333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 8:31:04 PM
(0)
Employee
As stated, ALL speeds above MAX (12M) requires a full tech install, including replacing or upgrading the NID, a cat5 dedicate home run, a new jack, data cable, depending on current RG possible upgrade.

The option of course is not to upgrade, a self install profile is 13M and will function on phone lines (quad or cat3) but the higher tiers will be either 25M, 32M, or 55M to support Max Plus (18), Max Turbo (24) or Power (45) and will not function properly requiring a service call which is $99 labor and $55 for cable run. Better to pay install fee of $99 which includes cat5 home run than $154 for self install failure or problem.
As stated, ALL speeds above MAX (12M) requires a full tech install, including replacing or upgrading the NID, a cat5 dedicate home run, a new jack, data cable, depending on current RG possible upgrade.

The option of course is not to upgrade, a self install profile is 13M and will function on phone lines (quad or cat3) but the higher tiers will be either 25M, 32M, or 55M to support Max Plus (18), Max Turbo (24) or Power (45) and will not function properly requiring a service call which is $99 labor and $55 for cable run. Better to pay install fee of $99 which includes cat5 home run than $154 for self install failure or problem.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Installation fee for simple speed increase?

3 of 3 (313 Views)