Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 20, 2014
6:51:55 AM
View profile
Inconsistent Throughput - TV Service No Longer an Option

I was forced to switch to U-Verse last year from DSL, even though I had been very satisfied with my DSL service. Since switching I have had problems with the line dropping for about a minute a couple of times a day. I also get very inconsistent results on Speed Test regardless of whether I run them wirelessly or hard wired. I should be getting 12mb down, I usually get 7 or 8 mb...sometimes I will get 10 or 11mb while other times I may only get 2 or 3mb. My dsl line was a 6mb line and was very consistently at 5 or 6mb.

It does seem like the speed has gotten worse over the past couple of months, and when I looked to see if I could bundle TV service and save some money it now no longer gives me that option. That leads me to believe that possibly more of my neighbors have signed up for TV service and there is now no port available for me...if that is the fact could that also be causing my problems with lower than normal download speeds? 

One last thing that has me baffled....I have a newer Dell computer with Windows 7 that has low upload speed. It never gets above 1.35mb and is usually around 1.30mb, but I have an older Toshiba laptop running XP that consistently gets 1.48mb. I have tried all kinds of setting changes to improve the upload speed of the Dell with no luck. The good thing is that the upload speed, unlike the download, does seem to be very consistent. I appreciate any feedback...I plan to call AT&T Monday and discuss these issues, but I thought I would throw this out here and see if anyone had some helpful comments.

I was forced to switch to U-Verse last year from DSL, even though I had been very satisfied with my DSL service. Since switching I have had problems with the line dropping for about a minute a couple of times a day. I also get very inconsistent results on Speed Test regardless of whether I run them wirelessly or hard wired. I should be getting 12mb down, I usually get 7 or 8 mb...sometimes I will get 10 or 11mb while other times I may only get 2 or 3mb. My dsl line was a 6mb line and was very consistently at 5 or 6mb.

It does seem like the speed has gotten worse over the past couple of months, and when I looked to see if I could bundle TV service and save some money it now no longer gives me that option. That leads me to believe that possibly more of my neighbors have signed up for TV service and there is now no port available for me...if that is the fact could that also be causing my problems with lower than normal download speeds? 

One last thing that has me baffled....I have a newer Dell computer with Windows 7 that has low upload speed. It never gets above 1.35mb and is usually around 1.30mb, but I have an older Toshiba laptop running XP that consistently gets 1.48mb. I have tried all kinds of setting changes to improve the upload speed of the Dell with no luck. The good thing is that the upload speed, unlike the download, does seem to be very consistent. I appreciate any feedback...I plan to call AT&T Monday and discuss these issues, but I thought I would throw this out here and see if anyone had some helpful comments.

Inconsistent Throughput - TV Service No Longer an Option

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 2:54:31 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @MikenIndy,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your internet speed, but I will be glad to help. I will have my team send you a private message so we can gather more information.

With one computer getting an inconsistent download speed than the other, I have ran across this before, and sometimes it is an issue with the settings on that computer, or an issue with the network card itself. Here is a great article of some of the hidden tweaks that may help your connection speed.

Hope this helps.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi @MikenIndy,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your internet speed, but I will be glad to help. I will have my team send you a private message so we can gather more information.

With one computer getting an inconsistent download speed than the other, I have ran across this before, and sometimes it is an issue with the settings on that computer, or an issue with the network card itself. Here is a great article of some of the hidden tweaks that may help your connection speed.

Hope this helps.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Inconsistent Throughput - TV Service No Longer an Option

2 of 5 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 4:41:31 PM
(0)
Voyager

I just received an automated call about a technician coming to my house on Wednesday, I thought you said this was an outside problem?

I just received an automated call about a technician coming to my house on Wednesday, I thought you said this was an outside problem?

3 of 5 (306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 8:41:04 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi,

I apologize about our automated system. It does an automated call anytime there is a dispatch to give a friendly reminder, but I have confirmed it is a line tech coming out, so you will not have to be home. Much apologies once again.

-David T

Hi,

I apologize about our automated system. It does an automated call anytime there is a dispatch to give a friendly reminder, but I have confirmed it is a line tech coming out, so you will not have to be home. Much apologies once again.

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 6:57:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same issues. Have you found out anything?

I'm having the same issues. Have you found out anything?

5 of 5 (220 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments