Helpful Links

Importance of changing IP Addresses

Mentor

Importance of changing IP Addresses

With some ISPs, you get a new public IP address every time you connect to their service.
With others, you get a new one every time you reset/reboot your router.
And with others, you get a new public IP Address each time you change your router's MAC address via its admin function (if your router supports it).

Reading posts in these forums, it looks like you can't change your public IP address with ATT U-Verse, like you can with other ISPs.

Maybe if people started running high-bandwidth servers (e.g. FTP, HTTP) from their permanent/fixed IP addresses, U-Verse will consider changing their public IP Address more frequently? :smileyhappy:

Then again, maybe they will just throttle bandwidth once it exceeds some value.

That's the reason many ISPs don't guarantee fixed IP addresses to subscribers who don't pay additional for the privilege of having a fixed public IP or a Business Level Of Service.

I personally would like to be able to generate a new public IP Address for my internet service.

Just like I want a new license plate for a used car I may purchase.

Or a new phone number, if I want one.

Message 1 of 47
Contributor

Re: Importance of changing IP Addresses

Type the word "home" in your browser. This will take take you to the control panel. Change the various IP addresses Unplug your modem for 10 seconds. You new IP address. 

Message 31 of 47
Expert

SFLBroker wrote:

Type the word "home" in your browser. This will take take you to the control panel. Change the various IP addresses Unplug your modem for 10 seconds. You new IP address. 

And, on behalf of everyone here, I'd just like to ask:

Ummmm .... What ???

I don't think anything there is going to help change your outside IP address.

Message 32 of 47
Expert

SFLBroker wrote:

Not the external IP address for Uverse TV/internet customers that this thread is talking about. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 33 of 47

At least I got something useful out of the post, I didn't realize typing home in the address bar would take me to the RG.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 34 of 47
Scholar

oufanindallas wrote:

At least I got something useful out of the post, I didn't realize typing home in the address bar would take me to the RG.

When I tried it with Firefox, it took me to homedepot.com.  When I tried it with IE, it took me to a Bing search, with MSN the first hit (there's a surprise).  No sign of the RG anywhere.

--

oobleck

Message 35 of 47

I just tried it with Firefox and it took me right to the RG, same with IE8. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 36 of 47
Expert

oobleck wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

When I tried it with Firefox, it took me to homedepot.com.  When I tried it with IE, it took me to a Bing search, with MSN the first hit (there's a surprise).  No sign of the RG anywhere.

--

oobleck

You have to be using the RG for DNS for this to work like this, having hard coded DNS, even if ATT, will do a DNS request before the 'home' gets to the RG to display the GUI.  I go right to the RG GUI by typing 'home' as the RG does DNS.  :smileywink:

Chris

1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

Message 37 of 47
Highlighted
Scholar

mibrnsurg wrote:

You have to be using the RG for DNS for this to work like this, having hard coded DNS, even if ATT, will do a DNS request before the 'home' gets to the RG to display the GUI.  I go right to the RG GUI by typing 'home' as the RG does DNS.  :smileywink:

Chris

That makes sense.  Thanks!

--

oobleck

Message 38 of 47
Teacher

Wrong, there is a reason -- if you are under some sort of attack the firewall doesnt stop or someone is a stalker, you could change your IP and then they wont get the new one unless you go to the same place as before. IPs should always be dynamic, but i dont think there is anyway to change a U-Verse IP.

Message 39 of 47
Expert

Tone303 wrote:

Wrong, there is a reason -- if you are under some sort of attack the firewall doesnt stop or someone is a stalker, you could change your IP and then they wont get the new one unless you go to the same place as before. IPs should always be dynamic, but i dont think there is anyway to change a U-Verse IP.

Sorry, unless you allow the RG to let something in, it will stop everything except was was requested by your computer and other devices you allowed. 

Now if you have a trojan or other malware on any device, all bets are off and it now on you to fix the problem  (and ATT is aware if this occurs and will inform you). Smiley Wink

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Warning-Your-AT-amp-amp-T-Uverse-Site-ID/m-p/3512679/hi...

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

Message 40 of 47
Contributor

no use to change your IP? I desperately need to change my IP, through xbox live some kid acquired my IP address and keeps DDOS'ing me through a website booter.

Message 41 of 47
Guru

Report the gamer tag of the offending "child" to Microsoft XBOX Live Customer Support.  Soon the "child" will find himself banned from XBOX Live.  Good riddence to bad rubbish.

I use the word "child" to describe this gamer that's doing it to you because he's just that... a child.

Message 42 of 47
Contributor

While searching on the web on the topic how I can know what is my ip address I found the site http://www.getiplocation.com/ . I get my ip address in the above site. They also [url=http://www.getiplocation.com/]trace ip address location[/url] but I didn't trace my ip address. I just only get my ip address.
Message 43 of 47
ACE - Master

I have found that there is a quick way to get your iP address if you are interested.  Just go to a Google search box (either google.com or the serch box in your browser" and type "Whats my IP address".  The first line of the results tells you what your public IP address is.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 44 of 47
Contributor

Actually there is a very good reason to want to change your IP address. That is if someone uses a resolver to get your IP then uses it to DDoS you or they can use it to find more information about you. Information such as the city in which you live and then with that they can find other info depending on how persistent they are. I have a friend who plays WOW and someone used a resolver to get his IP And then they posted it everywhere. Now all throughout the day he gets kicked offline due to how easy it has become to obtain an IP and then launch a DDoS attack. With how difficult it has become to change your IP which usually requires a change of your router or a tech to come to your house which of course you have to pay for. There is a very good reason we should have the option to change IP addresses and you dont have to be a criminal to want this option.

Message 45 of 47
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Additional Support