Importance of changing IP Addresses

Highlighted
Mentor

Importance of changing IP Addresses

With some ISPs, you get a new public IP address every time you connect to their service.
With others, you get a new one every time you reset/reboot your router.
And with others, you get a new public IP Address each time you change your router's MAC address via its admin function (if your router supports it).

Reading posts in these forums, it looks like you can't change your public IP address with ATT U-Verse, like you can with other ISPs.

Maybe if people started running high-bandwidth servers (e.g. FTP, HTTP) from their permanent/fixed IP addresses, U-Verse will consider changing their public IP Address more frequently? :smileyhappy:

Then again, maybe they will just throttle bandwidth once it exceeds some value.

That's the reason many ISPs don't guarantee fixed IP addresses to subscribers who don't pay additional for the privilege of having a fixed public IP or a Business Level Of Service.

I personally would like to be able to generate a new public IP Address for my internet service.

Just like I want a new license plate for a used car I may purchase.

Or a new phone number, if I want one.

Message 1 of 47 (22,333 Views)
Guru

Re: Importance of changing IP Addresses

I think the majority of us prefer the current, basically static IP addresses that UVerse provides standard. Most ISP's charge a premium for static IP's (I know, UV standard IP's are not guaranteed to be static, but in practice, they essentially are), so most of us are happy they come free with UVerse. If you need anonymity or privacy, there are plenty of proxies and anonymizing services you can use when you need them. AND, your ISP can always trace back what IP was assigned to who when anyway if presented with a subpoena or something, so dynamic IP's aren't bullet-proof anyway. If we held a vote among all users, I bet more than 2/3rds or present UVerse Internet customers would vote to retain the current (mostly) static IP address assignments.
Message 2 of 47 (22,047 Views)
Mentor

nishiko70 wrote:
I think the majority of us prefer the current, basically static IP addresses that UVerse provides standard.

Me too.
But I'd like an option to be able to change my public IP when I want to.
Who here would not like an option to change their public IP address?

Message 3 of 47 (22,047 Views)
ACE - Expert

There really is no logical need to have a different IP address not accepting the excuse of having done something 'wrong/bad' connected to your IP address.  There should be no choce available to change the IP address.  People who've gotten 'new' RGs have posted the IP address remained the same; even one user that had the port in the VRAD changed reported the same IP address. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 47 (22,047 Views)

I have yet had a reason to have my IP address changed.

I do remember someone, and I don't remember what context it was in, wanting a new IP address because they got suspended from a game site and they track membership by IP address.  This guy was pretty bummed and prolly would ahve given his left foot for a new IP address so he could join under a different name and IP address because he just could not live without that game. 

Other than that, nothing else comes to mind for the need for a new IP address, so I stay indifferent to the subject.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 5 of 47 (22,046 Views)
Mentor

mibrnsurg wrote:

There really is no logical need to have a different IP address not accepting the excuse of having done something 'wrong/bad' connected to your IP address.  There should be no choce available to change the IP address.  People who've gotten 'new' RGs have posted the IP address remained the same; even one user that had the port in the VRAD changed reported the same IP address. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

> There should be no choce available to change the IP address.

That's the same kind of thinking by AT&T that caused many people to revolt, and the Government to finally split up AT&T a long time ago.

I don't know the demographic you hang around with, but I don't hang around computer game players, and not sure why they get "banned", but blacklisting an IP Address affects everyone in that household who has to use that IP.
And "computer games" are the only example I see around here for preventing changing IP Addresses, other than the erroneous assumption that only wrong-doers want/need to change their Public IP address.

There are too many companies profiling internet/web usage via IP, who will gladly sell that info to willing buyers, who have been known to use that info for dubious purposes.
And an IP reveals your physical geographic location too, and the demographics associated with that region.

And it is fairly easy to find out if there is a kid in the household based on the IP usage.

In America, we can change our phone numbers, license plates on our cars, credit card numbers (I do this routinely every couple of years), and even Social Security Numbers (under some circumstances).
The IRS can't even force a Tax ID number on anyone.
And nobody can pin a National ID card on someone in America to tag/follow them, yet at least.
Why should ISPs be given any more control over how people can profile your internet usage?

I have been changing my public IP Address with my cable company about every 6 months.
Pretty easy to do too.
Suprised to see that I can't change it with AT&T U-verse.

My proposal to enable changing my public IP Address should not in any way affect users who choose to stick with the same IP Address forever.

Message 6 of 47 (22,047 Views)
Mentor

Nate2 wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

> There should be no choce available to change the IP address.

That's the same kind of thinking by AT&T that caused many people to revolt, and the Government to finally split up AT&T a long time ago.

I don't know the demographic you hang around with, but I don't hang around computer game players, and not sure why they get "banned", but blacklisting an IP Address affects everyone in that household who has to use that IP.
And "computer games" are the only example I see around here for preventing changing IP Addresses, other than the erroneous assumption that only wrong-doers want/need to change their Public IP address.

There are too many companies profiling internet/web usage via IP, who will gladly sell that info to willing buyers, who have been known to use that info for dubious purposes.
And an IP reveals your physical geographic location too, and the demographics associated with that region.

And it is fairly easy to find out if there is a kid in the household based on the IP usage.

This is a non-issue.  If you do a "whois" search on your IP address it does not show any information that points back at you.  The owner of the IP will be listed as AT&T Internet Services in Richardson Texas.  Companies can track your IP all they want.  All it tells them is that you are an AT&T customer.  Please explain how your Name, Demograpic location, etc is being revealed. 

In America, we can change our phone numbers, license plates on our cars, credit card numbers (I do this routinely every couple of years), and even Social Security Numbers (under some circumstances).
The IRS can't even force a Tax ID number on anyone.
And nobody can pin a National ID card on someone in America to tag/follow them, yet at least.
Why should ISPs be given any more control over how people can profile your internet usage?

I have been changing my public IP Address with my cable company about every 6 months.
Pretty easy to do too.
Suprised to see that I can't change it with AT&T U-verse.

My proposal to enable changing my public IP Address should not in any way affect users who choose to stick with the same IP Address forever.

If you are unhappy with the way AT&T administers their IP addresses, you are not under contract and can switch to another ISP at any time.  I'd guess that for 99.9% of us this is a non-issue.

Message 7 of 47 (22,047 Views)
ACE - Expert

They get banned cause they did something bad/illegal and got banned.  They should have to pay the price and not get around it by getting a new IP address and a new ID.  That type of thinking is what is wrong w/many in this country; not facing the consequencs of THEIR actions and skirting around the issue. :smileymad:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 47 (22,047 Views)

mibrnsurg wrote:

They get banned cause they did something bad/illegal and got banned.  They should have to pay the price and not get around it by getting a new IP address and a new ID.  That type of thinking is what is wrong w/many in this country; not facing the consequencs of THEIR actions and skirting around the issue. :smileymad:

Chris

:smileyhappy:  Bravo Chris, Bravo.
I see no need to change my IP address and could care less whether it changes every day, every week, every month, every year or never.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 47 (22,047 Views)
Mentor

VinnyM69 wrote:

If you do a "whois" search on your IP address it does not show any information that points back at you.  The owner of the IP will be listed as AT&T Internet Services in Richardson Texas.  Companies can track your IP all they want.  All it tells them is that you are an AT&T customer.  Please explain how your Name, Demograpic location, etc is being revealed. 

Wrong.
Try http://www.infosniper.net

Message 10 of 47 (22,049 Views)
Mentor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Illegal is when a kid breaks into somebody's house, robs a bank, or shoots someone.
What I see is strictly a private matter between the game company and the perpetrator kid.
Why should the rest of us have to subject ourselves to restrictions because some computer game company doesn't like some computer-game-playing kid?

Geez! This is almost as bad as hardware stores having to lock up spraypaint cans these days, and grocery stores now having to card people who buy cough medicine.

If the game companies really want to stop this supposedly "illegal" behavior (and make money while doing it), all they have to do is collect an entrance fee/deposit, and forfeit the return of the deposit if the kid breaks some rule there.
Most importantly, they should let the kid join again, as many times as he wants, so long as he pays the entrance fee each time he gets suspended :smileywink:

I think I'll start a Game Company and let these "illegal" computer game playing kids do what they want, as long as I make some money off it :smileyvery-happy:

Message 11 of 47 (19,555 Views)
Expert

The IP address issue is actually fairly academic and irrelevant at this point.

AT&T cooperated with the NSA's no-warrant wire-tap program back in 2005-2006, and built a very large facility that snoops all internet traffic under the alleged purpose of searching for terrorist activity.

All of your internet activities are seen by and are logged by this facility, and it doesn't matter what your IP address is.  The entire system is tied into AT&T's user records.  If they see one small thing in an e-mail, forum post, IM or chat that attracts their attention, they can double-click on it and get your full account information.  The notion that a changing IP address ensures your privacy is ridiculous today.

If you have things traveling over your internet connection that have you worried because you have a static IP address, you have far more sinister things that should concern you than getting banned from a game server.

Message 12 of 47 (19,555 Views)
ACE - Expert

Anyone that wants a new IP address can have it, users are reporting a new IP address on a RG factory default reset. :smileywink:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24172937-Inadvertently-changed-my-IP-address

Chris

Message 13 of 47 (19,555 Views)
Mentor

Nate2 wrote:

VinnyM69 wrote:

If you do a "whois" search on your IP address it does not show any information that points back at you.  The owner of the IP will be listed as AT&T Internet Services in Richardson Texas.  Companies can track your IP all they want.  All it tells them is that you are an AT&T customer.  Please explain how your Name, Demograpic location, etc is being revealed. 

Wrong.
Try http://www.infosniper.net

No you're wrong.  I checked that web page in your link.  I doesn't reveal any personal information and the location it lists for me is actually a city a good 10 miles away from the city I live in.  So the demographics are not accurate in any case.  Like I said in my post, your IP address does not reveal any personal information about you.  It reveals the registered owner of your IP address (your ISP) and nothing else. 

There are millions upon millions of IP addresses out there and unless you're doing something illegal or are a conspiracy nut this is not an issue.  Like I said before, if you have a personal issue with the way AT&T administers their IP addresses you are certainly free to go to another ISP. 

Message 14 of 47 (19,555 Views)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
AT&T cooperated with the NSA's no-warrant wire-tap program back in 2005-2006, and built a very large facility that snoops all internet traffic under the alleged purpose of searching for terrorist activity.

The issue here is 3rd-parties who use the info they mine for dubious reasons, as I have stated in a previous post.
Not AT&T, the CIA, FBI, etc.
Even though AT&T might be selling some info to 3rd parties.

Sure there's no real way to stop someone breaking into my house.
But that doesn't mean I should give up and leave the doors open.

Message 15 of 47 (19,555 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.