Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Apr 26, 2010
7:23:01 AM
View profile
Importance of changing IP Addresses

With some ISPs, you get a new public IP address every time you connect to their service.
With others, you get a new one every time you reset/reboot your router.
And with others, you get a new public IP Address each time you change your router's MAC address via its admin function (if your router supports it).

Reading posts in these forums, it looks like you can't change your public IP address with ATT U-Verse, like you can with other ISPs.

Maybe if people started running high-bandwidth servers (e.g. FTP, HTTP) from their permanent/fixed IP addresses, U-Verse will consider changing their public IP Address more frequently? :smileyhappy:

Then again, maybe they will just throttle bandwidth once it exceeds some value.

That's the reason many ISPs don't guarantee fixed IP addresses to subscribers who don't pay additional for the privilege of having a fixed public IP or a Business Level Of Service.

I personally would like to be able to generate a new public IP Address for my internet service.

Just like I want a new license plate for a used car I may purchase.

Or a new phone number, if I want one.

With some ISPs, you get a new public IP address every time you connect to their service.
With others, you get a new one every time you reset/reboot your router.
And with others, you get a new public IP Address each time you change your router's MAC address via its admin function (if your router supports it).

Reading posts in these forums, it looks like you can't change your public IP address with ATT U-Verse, like you can with other ISPs.

Maybe if people started running high-bandwidth servers (e.g. FTP, HTTP) from their permanent/fixed IP addresses, U-Verse will consider changing their public IP Address more frequently? :smileyhappy:

Then again, maybe they will just throttle bandwidth once it exceeds some value.

That's the reason many ISPs don't guarantee fixed IP addresses to subscribers who don't pay additional for the privilege of having a fixed public IP or a Business Level Of Service.

I personally would like to be able to generate a new public IP Address for my internet service.

Just like I want a new license plate for a used car I may purchase.

Or a new phone number, if I want one.

Importance of changing IP Addresses

46 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(46)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 8:42:38 AM
(0)
Guru
I think the majority of us prefer the current, basically static IP addresses that UVerse provides standard. Most ISP's charge a premium for static IP's (I know, UV standard IP's are not guaranteed to be static, but in practice, they essentially are), so most of us are happy they come free with UVerse. If you need anonymity or privacy, there are plenty of proxies and anonymizing services you can use when you need them. AND, your ISP can always trace back what IP was assigned to who when anyway if presented with a subpoena or something, so dynamic IP's aren't bullet-proof anyway. If we held a vote among all users, I bet more than 2/3rds or present UVerse Internet customers would vote to retain the current (mostly) static IP address assignments.
I think the majority of us prefer the current, basically static IP addresses that UVerse provides standard. Most ISP's charge a premium for static IP's (I know, UV standard IP's are not guaranteed to be static, but in practice, they essentially are), so most of us are happy they come free with UVerse. If you need anonymity or privacy, there are plenty of proxies and anonymizing services you can use when you need them. AND, your ISP can always trace back what IP was assigned to who when anyway if presented with a subpoena or something, so dynamic IP's aren't bullet-proof anyway. If we held a vote among all users, I bet more than 2/3rds or present UVerse Internet customers would vote to retain the current (mostly) static IP address assignments.

Re: Importance of changing IP Addresses

2 of 47 (21,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2010 11:23:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

nishiko70 wrote:
I think the majority of us prefer the current, basically static IP addresses that UVerse provides standard.

Me too.
But I'd like an option to be able to change my public IP when I want to.
Who here would not like an option to change their public IP address?

nishiko70 wrote:
I think the majority of us prefer the current, basically static IP addresses that UVerse provides standard.

Me too.
But I'd like an option to be able to change my public IP when I want to.
Who here would not like an option to change their public IP address?

3 of 47 (21,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 9:55:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There really is no logical need to have a different IP address not accepting the excuse of having done something 'wrong/bad' connected to your IP address.  There should be no choce available to change the IP address.  People who've gotten 'new' RGs have posted the IP address remained the same; even one user that had the port in the VRAD changed reported the same IP address. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

There really is no logical need to have a different IP address not accepting the excuse of having done something 'wrong/bad' connected to your IP address.  There should be no choce available to change the IP address.  People who've gotten 'new' RGs have posted the IP address remained the same; even one user that had the port in the VRAD changed reported the same IP address. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 47 (21,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 4:54:10 PM
(0)
Guru

I have yet had a reason to have my IP address changed.

I do remember someone, and I don't remember what context it was in, wanting a new IP address because they got suspended from a game site and they track membership by IP address.  This guy was pretty bummed and prolly would ahve given his left foot for a new IP address so he could join under a different name and IP address because he just could not live without that game. 

Other than that, nothing else comes to mind for the need for a new IP address, so I stay indifferent to the subject.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

I have yet had a reason to have my IP address changed.

I do remember someone, and I don't remember what context it was in, wanting a new IP address because they got suspended from a game site and they track membership by IP address.  This guy was pretty bummed and prolly would ahve given his left foot for a new IP address so he could join under a different name and IP address because he just could not live without that game. 

Other than that, nothing else comes to mind for the need for a new IP address, so I stay indifferent to the subject.

Sent from my iPhone 4

5 of 47 (21,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 9:01:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

> There should be no choce available to change the IP address.

That's the same kind of thinking by AT&T that caused many people to revolt, and the Government to finally split up AT&T a long time ago.

I don't know the demographic you hang around with, but I don't hang around computer game players, and not sure why they get "banned", but blacklisting an IP Address affects everyone in that household who has to use that IP.
And "computer games" are the only example I see around here for preventing changing IP Addresses, other than the erroneous assumption that only wrong-doers want/need to change their Public IP address.

There are too many companies profiling internet/web usage via IP, who will gladly sell that info to willing buyers, who have been known to use that info for dubious purposes.
And an IP reveals your physical geographic location too, and the demographics associated with that region.

And it is fairly easy to find out if there is a kid in the household based on the IP usage.

In America, we can change our phone numbers, license plates on our cars, credit card numbers (I do this routinely every couple of years), and even Social Security Numbers (under some circumstances).
The IRS can't even force a Tax ID number on anyone.
And nobody can pin a National ID card on someone in America to tag/follow them, yet at least.
Why should ISPs be given any more control over how people can profile your internet usage?

I have been changing my public IP Address with my cable company about every 6 months.
Pretty easy to do too.
Suprised to see that I can't change it with AT&T U-verse.

My proposal to enable changing my public IP Address should not in any way affect users who choose to stick with the same IP Address forever.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

That's the same kind of thinking by AT&T that caused many people to revolt, and the Government to finally split up AT&T a long time ago.

I don't know the demographic you hang around with, but I don't hang around computer game players, and not sure why they get "banned", but blacklisting an IP Address affects everyone in that household who has to use that IP.
And "computer games" are the only example I see around here for preventing changing IP Addresses, other than the erroneous assumption that only wrong-doers want/need to change their Public IP address.

There are too many companies profiling internet/web usage via IP, who will gladly sell that info to willing buyers, who have been known to use that info for dubious purposes.
And an IP reveals your physical geographic location too, and the demographics associated with that region.

And it is fairly easy to find out if there is a kid in the household based on the IP usage.

In America, we can change our phone numbers, license plates on our cars, credit card numbers (I do this routinely every couple of years), and even Social Security Numbers (under some circumstances).
And nobody can pin a National ID card on someone in America to tag/follow them, yet at least.
Why should ISPs be given any more control over how people can profile your internet usage?

I have been changing my public IP Address with my cable company about every 6 months.
Pretty easy to do too.

My proposal to enable changing my public IP Address should not in any way affect users who choose to stick with the same IP Address forever.

6 of 47 (21,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 9:52:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

Nate2 wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

This is a non-issue.  If you do a "whois" search on your IP address it does not show any information that points back at you.  The owner of the IP will be listed as AT&T Internet Services in Richardson Texas.  Companies can track your IP all they want.  All it tells them is that you are an AT&T customer.  Please explain how your Name, Demograpic location, etc is being revealed. 

Pretty easy to do too.

If you are unhappy with the way AT&T administers their IP addresses, you are not under contract and can switch to another ISP at any time.  I'd guess that for 99.9% of us this is a non-issue.

Nate2 wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

This is a non-issue.  If you do a "whois" search on your IP address it does not show any information that points back at you.  The owner of the IP will be listed as AT&T Internet Services in Richardson Texas.  Companies can track your IP all they want.  All it tells them is that you are an AT&T customer.  Please explain how your Name, Demograpic location, etc is being revealed. 

Pretty easy to do too.

If you are unhappy with the way AT&T administers their IP addresses, you are not under contract and can switch to another ISP at any time.  I'd guess that for 99.9% of us this is a non-issue.

7 of 47 (21,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 10:32:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

They get banned cause they did something bad/illegal and got banned.  They should have to pay the price and not get around it by getting a new IP address and a new ID.  That type of thinking is what is wrong w/many in this country; not facing the consequencs of THEIR actions and skirting around the issue. :smileymad:

Chris

They get banned cause they did something bad/illegal and got banned.  They should have to pay the price and not get around it by getting a new IP address and a new ID.  That type of thinking is what is wrong w/many in this country; not facing the consequencs of THEIR actions and skirting around the issue. :smileymad:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 47 (21,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 8:24:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

:smileyhappy:  Bravo Chris, Bravo.
I see no need to change my IP address and could care less whether it changes every day, every week, every month, every year or never.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

:smileyhappy:  Bravo Chris, Bravo.
I see no need to change my IP address and could care less whether it changes every day, every week, every month, every year or never.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

9 of 47 (21,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 11:05:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

VinnyM69 wrote:

If you do a "whois" search on your IP address it does not show any information that points back at you.  The owner of the IP will be listed as AT&T Internet Services in Richardson Texas.  Companies can track your IP all they want.  All it tells them is that you are an AT&T customer.  Please explain how your Name, Demograpic location, etc is being revealed. 

Wrong.
Try http://www.infosniper.net

VinnyM69 wrote:

If you do a "whois" search on your IP address it does not show any information that points back at you.  The owner of the IP will be listed as AT&T Internet Services in Richardson Texas.  Companies can track your IP all they want.  All it tells them is that you are an AT&T customer.  Please explain how your Name, Demograpic location, etc is being revealed. 

Wrong.

10 of 47 (21,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 11:14:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Illegal is when a kid breaks into somebody's house, robs a bank, or shoots someone.
What I see is strictly a private matter between the game company and the perpetrator kid.
Why should the rest of us have to subject ourselves to restrictions because some computer game company doesn't like some computer-game-playing kid?

Geez! This is almost as bad as hardware stores having to lock up spraypaint cans these days, and grocery stores now having to card people who buy cough medicine.

If the game companies really want to stop this supposedly "illegal" behavior (and make money while doing it), all they have to do is collect an entrance fee/deposit, and forfeit the return of the deposit if the kid breaks some rule there.
Most importantly, they should let the kid join again, as many times as he wants, so long as he pays the entrance fee each time he gets suspended :smileywink:

I think I'll start a Game Company and let these "illegal" computer game playing kids do what they want, as long as I make some money off it :smileyvery-happy:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Illegal is when a kid breaks into somebody's house, robs a bank, or shoots someone.
What I see is strictly a private matter between the game company and the perpetrator kid.
Why should the rest of us have to subject ourselves to restrictions because some computer game company doesn't like some computer-game-playing kid?

Geez! This is almost as bad as hardware stores having to lock up spraypaint cans these days, and grocery stores now having to card people who buy cough medicine.

If the game companies really want to stop this supposedly "illegal" behavior (and make money while doing it), all they have to do is collect an entrance fee/deposit, and forfeit the return of the deposit if the kid breaks some rule there.
Most importantly, they should let the kid join again, as many times as he wants, so long as he pays the entrance fee each time he gets suspended :smileywink:

I think I'll start a Game Company and let these "illegal" computer game playing kids do what they want, as long as I make some money off it :smileyvery-happy:

11 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 6:50:34 AM
(0)
Expert

The IP address issue is actually fairly academic and irrelevant at this point.

AT&T cooperated with the NSA's no-warrant wire-tap program back in 2005-2006, and built a very large facility that snoops all internet traffic under the alleged purpose of searching for terrorist activity.

All of your internet activities are seen by and are logged by this facility, and it doesn't matter what your IP address is.  The entire system is tied into AT&T's user records.  If they see one small thing in an e-mail, forum post, IM or chat that attracts their attention, they can double-click on it and get your full account information.  The notion that a changing IP address ensures your privacy is ridiculous today.

If you have things traveling over your internet connection that have you worried because you have a static IP address, you have far more sinister things that should concern you than getting banned from a game server.

The IP address issue is actually fairly academic and irrelevant at this point.

AT&T cooperated with the NSA's no-warrant wire-tap program back in 2005-2006, and built a very large facility that snoops all internet traffic under the alleged purpose of searching for terrorist activity.

All of your internet activities are seen by and are logged by this facility, and it doesn't matter what your IP address is.  The entire system is tied into AT&T's user records.  If they see one small thing in an e-mail, forum post, IM or chat that attracts their attention, they can double-click on it and get your full account information.  The notion that a changing IP address ensures your privacy is ridiculous today.

If you have things traveling over your internet connection that have you worried because you have a static IP address, you have far more sinister things that should concern you than getting banned from a game server.

12 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 8:40:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Anyone that wants a new IP address can have it, users are reporting a new IP address on a RG factory default reset. :smileywink:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24172937-Inadvertently-changed-my-IP-address

Chris

Anyone that wants a new IP address can have it, users are reporting a new IP address on a RG factory default reset. :smileywink:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24172937-Inadvertently-changed-my-IP-address

Chris

13 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 9:32:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

Nate2 wrote:

VinnyM69 wrote:

Wrong.

No you're wrong.  I checked that web page in your link.  I doesn't reveal any personal information and the location it lists for me is actually a city a good 10 miles away from the city I live in.  So the demographics are not accurate in any case.  Like I said in my post, your IP address does not reveal any personal information about you.  It reveals the registered owner of your IP address (your ISP) and nothing else. 

There are millions upon millions of IP addresses out there and unless you're doing something illegal or are a conspiracy nut this is not an issue.  Like I said before, if you have a personal issue with the way AT&T administers their IP addresses you are certainly free to go to another ISP. 

Nate2 wrote:

VinnyM69 wrote:

Wrong.

No you're wrong.  I checked that web page in your link.  I doesn't reveal any personal information and the location it lists for me is actually a city a good 10 miles away from the city I live in.  So the demographics are not accurate in any case.  Like I said in my post, your IP address does not reveal any personal information about you.  It reveals the registered owner of your IP address (your ISP) and nothing else. 

There are millions upon millions of IP addresses out there and unless you're doing something illegal or are a conspiracy nut this is not an issue.  Like I said before, if you have a personal issue with the way AT&T administers their IP addresses you are certainly free to go to another ISP. 

14 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 8:49:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The issue here is 3rd-parties who use the info they mine for dubious reasons, as I have stated in a previous post.
Not AT&T, the CIA, FBI, etc.
Even though AT&T might be selling some info to 3rd parties.

Sure there's no real way to stop someone breaking into my house.
But that doesn't mean I should give up and leave the doors open.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The issue here is 3rd-parties who use the info they mine for dubious reasons, as I have stated in a previous post.
Not AT&T, the CIA, FBI, etc.
Even though AT&T might be selling some info to 3rd parties.

Sure there's no real way to stop someone breaking into my house.
But that doesn't mean I should give up and leave the doors open.

15 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 8:59:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

VinnyM69 wrote:

Looks like you won't make it as a data miner.
You expect all infomation from one site handed to you on a silver platter.

10 miles is close enough. And it wasn't Richardson, TX like you thought, was it? :smileyhappy:

WIth other people, the info is accurate, including zip code and phone area code.

Those data miner guys work in collaboration with vendors who supply other bits of info.
In time, they correlate your e-mail address with your name, IP Address, geographic location, etc.
e.g. Google maintains all search words used from an IP Address.
So you say you have been using the same IP Address for years? :smileyhappy:
How much info will that reveal about you?
And people are willing to pay for that info.

Interesting cases:
Someone (customer support) at AOL(?) started selling customer credit card info sometime ago.
I also head of a case where a customer/tech support person started selling info of certain subscribers to parties that paid him directly.
These parties were trying to locate (with criminal intent) a person using his IP address.

VinnyM69 wrote:

10 miles is close enough. And it wasn't Richardson, TX like you thought, was it? :smileyhappy:

WIth other people, the info is accurate, including zip code and phone area code.

Those data miner guys work in collaboration with vendors who supply other bits of info.
In time, they correlate your e-mail address with your name, IP Address, geographic location, etc.

Interesting cases:
Someone (customer support) at AOL(?) started selling customer credit card info sometime ago.
I also head of a case where a customer/tech support person started selling info of certain subscribers to parties that paid him directly.
These parties were trying to locate (with criminal intent) a person using his IP address.

16 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 11:22:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

Nate2 wrote:

VinnyM69 wrote:

As I stated in an earlier post the Whois Database lists my IP address as owned by AT&T in Richardson TX.  From the web site you used my location is wrong, my zip code is wrong, etc.  The only thing they had right was the area code which is not hard here as most of west MI has the same area code. 

Please explain how you think that the "data miner guys" and "vendors" are able to obtain my email address tied to my IP address and geograpich location.  It's not fesable unless your talking about NSA and they've got better things to do than trying too look up Joe Blow's email/IP correlation. 

Never said I used my IP address for years.

Like I said before my IP address reveals nothing about me.  It's just a number, among millions of others out there. 

Please give us specifics.  Your talking in generalities.   I have a good friend who works for Nielsen Media Research and I am well aware of what is tracked as far as Internet usage and web browsing.

Interesting cases:

Again you are talking about someone here who has done something illegal.  In this type of situation court orders are obtained to get the required information.  AOL, AT&T or any other ISP does not just hand it over. 

IP data mining in regards to web usage has been going on for years.  It is done with IP addresses and in no way points back to any personal information about you.  If you are not doing anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about.  The people in black helecopters are not coming after you.  Honest!

Nate2 wrote:

VinnyM69 wrote:

As I stated in an earlier post the Whois Database lists my IP address as owned by AT&T in Richardson TX.  From the web site you used my location is wrong, my zip code is wrong, etc.  The only thing they had right was the area code which is not hard here as most of west MI has the same area code. 

Please explain how you think that the "data miner guys" and "vendors" are able to obtain my email address tied to my IP address and geograpich location.  It's not fesable unless your talking about NSA and they've got better things to do than trying too look up Joe Blow's email/IP correlation. 

Never said I used my IP address for years.

Like I said before my IP address reveals nothing about me.  It's just a number, among millions of others out there. 

Please give us specifics.  Your talking in generalities.   I have a good friend who works for Nielsen Media Research and I am well aware of what is tracked as far as Internet usage and web browsing.

Interesting cases:

Again you are talking about someone here who has done something illegal.  In this type of situation court orders are obtained to get the required information.  AOL, AT&T or any other ISP does not just hand it over. 

IP data mining in regards to web usage has been going on for years.  It is done with IP addresses and in no way points back to any personal information about you.  If you are not doing anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about.  The people in black helecopters are not coming after you.  Honest!

17 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 11:41:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Remember about a year ago a user posted 4 or 5 IP address mapping websites. Well the first one put me in Ohio, next one in western MI, same w/ the next.  The last two popped right on my address here on the east side of metro Detroit.  One even had my ATT address identifier of F-2R, second floor right from the front in the 4 family apt buiding I live in. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Remember about a year ago a user posted 4 or 5 IP address mapping websites. Well the first one put me in Ohio, next one in western MI, same w/ the next.  The last two popped right on my address here on the east side of metro Detroit.  One even had my ATT address identifier of F-2R, second floor right from the front in the 4 family apt buiding I live in. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

18 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 12:58:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I was raised on the east side.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I was raised on the east side.

19 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 2:14:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That web site was somewhat close.  It had me in the same county.  Nothing there that I'm worried about.

That web site was somewhat close.  It had me in the same county.  Nothing there that I'm worried about.

20 of 47 (19,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 2:50:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That one got me ten blocks from home. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

That one got me ten blocks from home. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

21 of 47 (19,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 10:11:30 PM
(0)
Guru

For some UVerse customers the IP address gives the location of your VRAD and nothing else. So if someone really wanted to find you I guess they could hang around the Vrad in hopes of catching a glimse of you....I'm not concerned about that in the least. To some a static IP is a blessing and certainly not a curse.

For some UVerse customers the IP address gives the location of your VRAD and nothing else. So if someone really wanted to find you I guess they could hang around the Vrad in hopes of catching a glimse of you....I'm not concerned about that in the least. To some a static IP is a blessing and certainly not a curse.

22 of 47 (19,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2010 6:28:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

Others:

http://www.ip2map.com

And this will give you more details:

http://www.ip2location.com/1.2.3.4

(replace 1.2.3.4 with your real ip address)

You get browser type, Operating System, etc identified.

The real fun begins when they begin associating IP Addresses with Social Security Numbers.

But then, they are all just plain old numbers, right? :smileyhappy:

Just 1 particular number in a couple of million numbers...

Others:

http://www.ip2map.com

And this will give you more details:

http://www.ip2location.com/1.2.3.4

(replace 1.2.3.4 with your real ip address)

You get browser type, Operating System, etc identified.

The real fun begins when they begin associating IP Addresses with Social Security Numbers.

But then, they are all just plain old numbers, right? :smileyhappy:

Just 1 particular number in a couple of million numbers...

23 of 47 (19,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2010 2:39:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, so I put my IP address in the address line and it didn't have me in the correct town so still, no issue.

Ok, so I put my IP address in the address line and it didn't have me in the correct town so still, no issue.

24 of 47 (19,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2010 5:00:32 PM
(0)
Employee

texasguy77 wrote:

This is not true. The VRAD has no knowledge of the IP address issued to the individual clients. The first piece of equipment to be aware (or care about) the IP address is in the VHO, and the VHO generally serves a pretty large area.

Static or dynamic ... it doesn't matter as both are quite traceable and logged. Any agency or organization that wants to (and has authority) can find out exactly who was connected where, for how long, and what resources were accessed.

texasguy77 wrote:

This is not true. The VRAD has no knowledge of the IP address issued to the individual clients. The first piece of equipment to be aware (or care about) the IP address is in the VHO, and the VHO generally serves a pretty large area.

Static or dynamic ... it doesn't matter as both are quite traceable and logged. Any agency or organization that wants to (and has authority) can find out exactly who was connected where, for how long, and what resources were accessed.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

25 of 47 (19,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2010 6:15:00 AM
(0)
Mentor

ScottMac wrote:

Any agency or organization that wants to (and has authority) can find out exactly who was connected where, for how long, and what resources were accessed.

What about dubious marketing organizations (that are not supposed to have authority)?

You know, like AT&T's business partners :smileyhappy:

Can they find out exactly who was connected where, for how long, and what resources were accessed?

I can see many marketing agencies drooling over the thought of associating your IP Address to your home address, SSN, and search history on a major search engine, like Google.
Think of all the things they could sell to you, and sell you to other dubious marketing agencies :smileyhappy:

ScottMac wrote:

Any agency or organization that wants to (and has authority) can find out exactly who was connected where, for how long, and what resources were accessed.

What about dubious marketing organizations (that are not supposed to have authority)?

Can they find out exactly who was connected where, for how long, and what resources were accessed?

I can see many marketing agencies drooling over the thought of associating your IP Address to your home address, SSN, and search history on a major search engine, like Google.
Think of all the things they could sell to you, and sell you to other dubious marketing agencies :smileyhappy:

26 of 47 (19,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2010 3:14:58 PM
(0)
Employee

This is about wireless 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Telcos-Begin-Monetizing-Your-Wireless-Location-Data-108644

But if you wonder around the web very much you are being tracked. That is what Google is all about. I may have used Chrome instead of FF but it is a direct line to Google. I keep some control with NoScript and the google-analytics script that most web sites use to help google track you. Other sites may care less about your privacy and will sell your id info in a heart beat. You are clicking on their sites so you are volunteering to be tracked. Changing IP address will not help that much. Go on any people search site and Inteluis has you listed unless you have dropped off the map on purpose and only deal in cash.

This is about wireless 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Telcos-Begin-Monetizing-Your-Wireless-Location-Data-108644

But if you wonder around the web very much you are being tracked. That is what Google is all about. I may have used Chrome instead of FF but it is a direct line to Google. I keep some control with NoScript and the google-analytics script that most web sites use to help google track you. Other sites may care less about your privacy and will sell your id info in a heart beat. You are clicking on their sites so you are volunteering to be tracked. Changing IP address will not help that much. Go on any people search site and Inteluis has you listed unless you have dropped off the map on purpose and only deal in cash.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

27 of 47 (19,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2010 8:33:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

Escapee wrote:

This is about wireless 

Thank you for the link about wireless.

I was not aware that intelius.com started tracking down people by e-mail address!
Tried that on some people I know, and their partially masked e-mail address came up!
Looking at e-mail headers, they will be able to harvest the originating IP Addresses for their database to include in a search/cross-reference too.

Changing IP and e-mail addresses will make it harder for people like Google to maintain any kind of useful history on an indvidual for long.
Ever notice how the cars/houses that are easiest to break into get broken into more frequently?
While it may be impossible to stop the marketing bandits from tracking people, the people who allow themselves to be tracked easier are going to be more susceptible to whatever is brewing out there.

Escapee wrote:

This is about wireless 

Thank you for the link about wireless.

I was not aware that intelius.com started tracking down people by e-mail address!
Tried that on some people I know, and their partially masked e-mail address came up!
Looking at e-mail headers, they will be able to harvest the originating IP Addresses for their database to include in a search/cross-reference too.

Changing IP and e-mail addresses will make it harder for people like Google to maintain any kind of useful history on an indvidual for long.
Ever notice how the cars/houses that are easiest to break into get broken into more frequently?
While it may be impossible to stop the marketing bandits from tracking people, the people who allow themselves to be tracked easier are going to be more susceptible to whatever is brewing out there.

28 of 47 (19,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2010 8:59:05 AM
(0)
Employee

My only suggestion would be to do all your surfing through a proxy service. I don't even know if or how that really works. It may get harder and harder with any vendor to get changing IP addresses like in the past. Even if you change IP if they have your MAC address and an IP address at any point they can match you MAC address to the new changed IP.

The privacy of the past is gone if you surf the web.  In the past there were free giveaways everywhere if you just filled out the slip and put it in the box. Then people could not figure out why they they got so much junk mail. Just be careful where and how you surf. I Use NoScript addon to Firefox so I can limit some of the tracking. If I want to see the web site bad enough I click on the java script permissions or not.

My only suggestion would be to do all your surfing through a proxy service. I don't even know if or how that really works. It may get harder and harder with any vendor to get changing IP addresses like in the past. Even if you change IP if they have your MAC address and an IP address at any point they can match you MAC address to the new changed IP.

The privacy of the past is gone if you surf the web.  In the past there were free giveaways everywhere if you just filled out the slip and put it in the box. Then people could not figure out why they they got so much junk mail. Just be careful where and how you surf. I Use NoScript addon to Firefox so I can limit some of the tracking. If I want to see the web site bad enough I click on the java script permissions or not.

29 of 47 (19,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2010 10:17:32 PM
(0)
Employee

Nate2 wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Only within the limits of the contract you signed.

Whatever IP to home address mapping there may be (anything AT&T has is indirect; i.e., there are records with your IP address, and there are records with your home address, but they are not in teh same tables/records, and ot likely even in the same database) is not public information unless you make it so, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Nate2 wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Only within the limits of the contract you signed.

Whatever IP to home address mapping there may be (anything AT&T has is indirect; i.e., there are records with your IP address, and there are records with your home address, but they are not in teh same tables/records, and ot likely even in the same database) is not public information unless you make it so, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Sent from my phone.

30 of 47 (19,457 Views)