Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

Contributor

Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

We were so excited to get Uverse TV and now will likely be switching to a different cable tv company.  I received confirmation yesterday from ATT tech support, that the blue screen will appear after 4 hours of the tv being idle.  As a dog owner - we always leave the tv on for our dog - it helps her to be alone.  I know many other pet owners who do the same thing.  ATT informed me that this is a factory setting which cannot be changed.  We are very disappointed.

Message 1 of 47 (3,579 Views)

Re: Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

It's 8 hours not 4.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 2 of 47 (3,249 Views)
ACE - Expert

Stella205 - You should have a strong local station that you could receive Over the Air for the dogs.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 47 (3,244 Views)
ACE - Professor

I use a radio for my dog. It does the same thing and prevents wear and tear on the television.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 47 (3,182 Views)

MicCheck wrote:
I use a radio for my dog. It does the same thing and prevents wear and tear on the television.

Also uses a heck of a lot less energy (unless you piping it through your surround sound system).Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 5 of 47 (3,174 Views)
Expert

MicCheck wrote:

Thats a good idea.

Message 6 of 47 (3,063 Views)

RCSMG wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

Thats a good idea.

And the dog really can't tell the difference.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 7 of 47 (3,041 Views)
Expert

That's my thinking.

oufanindallas wrote:

RCSMG wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

Thats a good idea.

And the dog really can't tell the difference.

Message 8 of 47 (3,034 Views)
Scholar

Let me see if I understand this.  You could be watching TV for 8 hours and after 8 hours your program will be interrupted.  Not that I have 8 hours to watch TV at one time.  Is that what the problem is.  Is there something you have to do to let the box know you are still watching the TV.  If that is the case I agree that it does not make since.  I would be interested to know how the people who sit in front of the TV 24/7 which from reading this board there are a few handle this issue just for future reference if I am sick or have time to watch TV more then 8 hours.

Message 9 of 47 (2,904 Views)
ACE - Professor

DB, that is correct. After 8 hours of not pushing any buttons, the box goes to standby to save energy. You can watch as long as you want as long as you change channels, start/stop a recording (with the remote), etc.

OP apparently likes to leave the TV on for her pets while not at home all day, which could be more than 8 hours.
Message 10 of 47 (2,887 Views)

db821arc wrote:

Let me see if I understand this.  You could be watching TV for 8 hours and after 8 hours your program will be interrupted.  Not that I have 8 hours to watch TV at one time.  Is that what the problem is.  Is there something you have to do to let the box know you are still watching the TV.  If that is the case I agree that it does not make since.  I would be interested to know how the people who sit in front of the TV 24/7 which from reading this board there are a few handle this issue just for future reference if I am sick or have time to watch TV more then 8 hours.

If I'm not mistaken, every time you push a button on the remote it resets the eight hour timer. If you don't push any buttons in the eight hour period a pop-up will show on the screen asking if you wish to continue watching.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 11 of 47 (2,885 Views)

I guess the OP could teach the dog how to use the remote (as long as he doesn't drool on it). Maybe set up a favorites list for him, I'd start with animal planet and natgeo. Schedule up some animal cops so the dog knows how good he has it.

Message 12 of 47 (2,846 Views)
ACE - Expert

The buttons on the AT&T remotes may be a little hard to use with paws.

Maybe one of those large button remotes?

Message 13 of 47 (2,840 Views)
Scholar

So just bringing up the guide during the 8 hours will reset the timer.  Just to be clear it is 8 hours and not 4 like the op stated in the original post.  Thanks for the clarification I feel better knowing that all you have to do is interact with the remote.

Message 14 of 47 (2,767 Views)
ACE - Master

db821arc wrote:

So just bringing up the guide during the 8 hours will reset the timer.  Just to be clear it is 8 hours and not 4 like the op stated in the original post.  Thanks for the clarification I feel better knowing that all you have to do is interact with the remote.

Yes, pushing any button on the remote that has an impact on the U-Verse box, will reset the timer.  I can assure you that it is 8 hours and not 4.

I'm also a little curious of the original poster's intentions - a one post wonder comes in, spreads partial misinformation (4 hours)and leaves.  Typical "bait" type posting. 

Message 15 of 47 (2,590 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.