Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

Contributor

Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

We were so excited to get Uverse TV and now will likely be switching to a different cable tv company.  I received confirmation yesterday from ATT tech support, that the blue screen will appear after 4 hours of the tv being idle.  As a dog owner - we always leave the tv on for our dog - it helps her to be alone.  I know many other pet owners who do the same thing.  ATT informed me that this is a factory setting which cannot be changed.  We are very disappointed.

Message 1 of 47 (3,583 Views)

Re: Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

well, here is my 2 cents... we have had uverse for a couple of years now, and i was rather disappointed that at&t cuts you off after a period of inactivity.  in my experience, it is around 6 hours, and i have timed it a few times just because it just doesn't make any sense to me.  what's the point of tuning into one of the music channels and leaving it on in the background during the day, just to have at&t cut you off after a period of time.  i'm actually surprised more people are not upset about this, expecially when we are bombarded with the notion of 24/7 access.  i don't know, it just boggles my mind, you pay for a service, and one should have access to it, and one should not have to play with the remote to reset a silly timer just because at&t decided 6 hours is all you get.  if i was the one paying for the service, i would go back to comcast, but i am just a user, so, oh well.  it's not like i have a choice. later.

Message 16 of 47 (2,109 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you actually had timed it, you would have found that it is exactly 8 hours.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 47 (2,078 Views)
ACE - Master

michaelhallsted wrote:

well, here is my 2 cents... we have had uverse for a couple of years now, and i was rather disappointed that at&t cuts you off after a period of inactivity.  in my experience, it is around 6 hours, and i have timed it a few times just because it just doesn't make any sense to me.  what's the point of tuning into one of the music channels and leaving it on in the background during the day, just to have at&t cut you off after a period of time.  i'm actually surprised more people are not upset about this, expecially when we are bombarded with the notion of 24/7 access.  i don't know, it just boggles my mind, you pay for a service, and one should have access to it, and one should not have to play with the remote to reset a silly timer just because at&t decided 6 hours is all you get.  if i was the one paying for the service, i would go back to comcast, but i am just a user, so, oh well.  it's not like i have a choice. later.

More misinformation from a one post wonder.  It is 8 hours and you do have a choice (Direct, Dish and Over the Air).  Yes the 8 hour inactivity timer is not good  but a DVD player on repeat will work just as well for pets.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 47 (2,026 Views)
ACE - Master

AT&T had to do this so they received the "Energy Star Compliant" approval.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 19 of 47 (1,997 Views)
ACE - Professor

BeeBeeSA wrote:

The funny thing is the STBs use nearly the same amount of power whether it's in idle/off or powered on and showing TV.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 20 of 47 (1,977 Views)
Scholar

Message 21 of 47 (1,961 Views)
Scholar

This may be one of funniest post i have ever seen someone actually may leave Uverse because there pets can't watch TV i thought if the blue screen does come up you can press OK on your remote and the picture comes back up.
Message 22 of 47 (1,963 Views)
ACE - Master

Shhhhhhh.......Don't tell the energy star people.Smiley Wink

americangame wrote:

BeeBeeSA wrote:

The funny thing is the STBs use nearly the same amount of power whether it's in idle/off or powered on and showing TV.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 23 of 47 (1,949 Views)
ACE - Professor

Ryan456 wrote:
This may be one of funniest post i have ever seen someone actually may leave Uverse because there pets can't watch TV i thought if the blue screen does come up you can press OK on your remote and the picture comes back up.

The OP posted only one time and it was a little under exactly nine months ago. Maybe they made a commitment not to reply to these ideas until their baby was born, but we'll see. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 47 (1,898 Views)

well, it's like... whatever... i'm not really here to debate anything.  i think i know how to tell time.  i will admit though that i did not use a stop watch.  all i know is that it is definitely not 8 hours.   ok ok, one time it was about 7 hours, but the other times, it was 6 hours.  take it for what you want.

hmmm, let's see, if i was the one that got the service originally, and paid the monthly bills ( like i mentioned in my first post ), then yes, i think that i would then have a choice in the matter.   but since none of that applies to me, and i just use the service that some one else has graciously provided, i dutifully press buttons on the remote every few hour hours, like everyone else,

to me, this is just another example of lowered expectations.  the problem is not the channels provided or anything else related to TV per se, one can get TV from many different sources.  my issue is the expectation of service that should be supplied.  at&t is not cheap by any means, and they hold themselves out to be a premiere supplier of television, with 24/7 access to anything your heart can desire... i did not see this "8 hour" limit in any of the fine print.  now, if at&t was the equivalent to magic jack for television providers, i would have no issue with that. magic jack is cheap, it works, but you are on your own. 

anyway, i'll check back in a few days to see what else is being posted.  at least i can take solace in knowing that i am providing amusement for others.

toodles.

Message 25 of 47 (1,810 Views)
Scholar

I don't see what the big deal is about a receiver cutting off its self i had Directv there DVR's cut off to so UVerse is not the only company that does this this is not something that make me want to switch providers my receiver has not cut off at all .
Message 26 of 47 (1,780 Views)
Employee

When I had Time Warner...it also went to a screen saver and you had to hit "any" button to continue watching this channel.

my .02 cents

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 27 of 47 (1,764 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Ryan456 wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is about a receiver cutting off its self i had Directv there DVR's cut off to so UVerse is not the only company that does this this is not something that make me want to switch providers my receiver has not cut off at all .

For a lot of us, it is a Big Deal.  The U-Verse box did not always do this.  It started doing this after an "update," a few years back.  If it were really an attempt at pulling a fast one over the Energy Star folks' eyes, well, shame on AT&T.  I have had about enough "Green" and "Political Correctness" in society, to be honest.

Message 28 of 47 (1,735 Views)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

For a lot of us, it is a Big Deal.  

Is it because you have a need for the TV to remain on the same channel unattended for more than 8 hours?

Message 29 of 47 (1,707 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

dhascall wrote:

Ryan456 wrote:

For a lot of us, it is a Big Deal.  The U-Verse box did not always do this.  It started doing this after an "update," a few years back.  If it were really an attempt at pulling a fast one over the Energy Star folks' eyes, well, shame on AT&T.  I have had about enough "Green" and "Political Correctness" in society, to be honest.

If you're sitting in front of the TV for more than 8 hours watching the entire time and not changing the channel, you really need to be more active.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 30 of 47 (1,629 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.