Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 19, 2013
7:47:24 AM
View profile
IR Receiver Problem

Hopefully someone can help me with this very annoying problem.

In short, the IR receiver on my main (DVR) UVerse box is not working as it should. Lately, most of the time it wouldn't respond to the remote control (by 'responding', I mean when a button is pushed on the remote and the led blinks on the remote, the led on the box blinks as well). All I can do is just keep pushing the button repeatedly or hold it down until it finally responded (and the led on the box blinks). I noticed that if the receiver has been in use for a few hours that day, then it gets easier and it responds faster, almost like the box needs a 'warm up' period until it recognizes the signal sent by the remote normally.

This is not a remote control issue, as the problem is consistent even when tested with multiple remotes (which all work perfectly on the other box in my apartment). I tested with a couple of brand new remotes that I got as a replacement just a few weeks ago (certain keys just simply stopped working after ~4 years, including that infamous volume down button) and also the remote app on my smartphone.

Any ideas on how to fix this short of submitting a request to replace the DVR box? The box is about 4-years old, and it's probably on its last leg (even the other box was replaced because of a power supply problem), but it's been working just fine for us except for this IR receiver annoyance.

Hopefully someone can help me with this very annoying problem.

In short, the IR receiver on my main (DVR) UVerse box is not working as it should. Lately, most of the time it wouldn't respond to the remote control (by 'responding', I mean when a button is pushed on the remote and the led blinks on the remote, the led on the box blinks as well). All I can do is just keep pushing the button repeatedly or hold it down until it finally responded (and the led on the box blinks). I noticed that if the receiver has been in use for a few hours that day, then it gets easier and it responds faster, almost like the box needs a 'warm up' period until it recognizes the signal sent by the remote normally.

This is not a remote control issue, as the problem is consistent even when tested with multiple remotes (which all work perfectly on the other box in my apartment). I tested with a couple of brand new remotes that I got as a replacement just a few weeks ago (certain keys just simply stopped working after ~4 years, including that infamous volume down button) and also the remote app on my smartphone.

Any ideas on how to fix this short of submitting a request to replace the DVR box? The box is about 4-years old, and it's probably on its last leg (even the other box was replaced because of a power supply problem), but it's been working just fine for us except for this IR receiver annoyance.

IR Receiver Problem

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 8:06:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
emilrj - Yes, the problem is the IR sensor in the DVR. But, that is only half the answer. The other half is - Is it too weak a signal or too strong a signal?? Common sense says it is too weak a signal. You need to rule out to strong a signal. Try a somewhat transparent tape as described below.

Also, the DVR is often worse than the other boxes. Can you swap the DVR with another STB??

If you have an iphone or ipad or ipod touch you can try a Buddy TV remote

IR Issues

Going back 5-6 years there are many posts about IR interference. Remedies included taping over the IR sensor, hiding the STB, turning off auto brightness on the TV.

A common fault was the info button press corrupting to an STB mute action. The number of reports of this have totally fallen away. My personal initial primary problem was getting the zero to register. But, one day long ago that just went away.

Niles Audio Corp. makes IR repeaters & has a video on their web site showing the fragility of the IR coding that is used for U-verse & other boxes. They said their new line of repeaters could handle it. Oddly, a U-verse customer posted in this community that they had a NIles install that was not working & after they contacted Niles they did not get any satisfactory resolution.

I came to believe that the IR sensor is too sensitive, That the DVR is worse than other STBs. That command type buttons are worse than the number buttons. That, somehow software updates can make it better or worse, So, it is a moving target. Hard to pin down.

I noticed that the U-verse remote does work better than my Logitech Harmony model 700. I looked at the IR signal through a digital camera. It appeared to me that the Harmony IR signal is stronger than the U-verse remote. This reinforces my theory that the IR sensor is too sensitive.

Recently, my most common problem was FF and Play Buttons often corrupted to chan up and chan down more than six times a night while watching recorded shows, exclusively.

I happened to notice that I had a specific kind of "duct tape" covering the blue light on the STB. Actually, it just looks like duct tape, but is electrical tape available at the Home Depot in the electrical dept. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

This tape has a degree of transparency. I thought I would use it to cover the IR sensor. The remote has never worked better. In over 20 evenings since I applied the tape - watching recordings while FF through the ads - I have not had one chan up - chan down corruption . Previously, there would have been at least 6x20=120 occurrences.

Almost all button presses are accepted & none are changed to a different action.

RF Issues

It should not be a surprise, but it is, that half the problems with the RF remote are IR. I run an STB well hidden for a second TV. I had the IR sensor covered with black tape. I replaced the black tape with the "duct tape" & saw an immediate improvement in response to menu buttons. The number buttons were already good - see below for that solution.

The STB using RF must be hidden due to the dongle conversion of RF to IR. If it is not hidden it is subject to the following problems:

IR corruption - Ironically, the RF remote was often offered as a resolution for IR problems. But, if the STB is not hidden nothing has changed to eliminate theI IR corruption problem. If the corrupting light can be seen by the STB IR sensor it will continue to corrupt the IR signal.

If the STB IR sensor can see IR from another remote, it will respond to it.

If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it.

Note that hidden means the IR does not see outside light - If you have an optical repeater(like the Niles mentioned above) it is IR subject to corruption. If you have an IR receiver that produces RF to go through a wall, it is still IR subject to corruption. Any optical link open to the room is still open to IR corruption.

Only if the remote is RF (like the point anywhere remote) transmitted to a well hidden device will it ward off IR corruption. The ultimate solution is a wireless remote app. These are available, but incomplete & other devices do not yet support wireless remote. But, the Buddy TV remote can be used for a u-verse STB.

Previously, I found the RF remote lacking in RF power - in the same room, twelve feet away, hidden only by a thin sheet of cardboard. One method to increase RF power is to hold the remote under your chin while pressing a button - using your head as an antenna.

A better way is this antenna placed in the battery compartment - http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=U...

With this antenna, the channel numbers are almost always accepted. With the "duct tape" in place, the other buttons work almost every time. The remote now works better than ever.

STB Issues

Once IR and RF issues are resolved, there are timing issues with the STB to contend with. Numbers process fast and Menu items process slow. You need quick, light touch on some numbers to avoid duplicates and a slow, strong press on menu activities. Effort is required to suppress the urge to press again while waiting for a response. It takes concentration to get effective results. Frequently a second press immediately cancels a slow responding first press. Current IR and RF issues amplify the effect of the timing issue.
emilrj - Yes, the problem is the IR sensor in the DVR. But, that is only half the answer. The other half is - Is it too weak a signal or too strong a signal?? Common sense says it is too weak a signal. You need to rule out to strong a signal. Try a somewhat transparent tape as described below.

Also, the DVR is often worse than the other boxes. Can you swap the DVR with another STB??

If you have an iphone or ipad or ipod touch you can try a Buddy TV remote

IR Issues

Going back 5-6 years there are many posts about IR interference. Remedies included taping over the IR sensor, hiding the STB, turning off auto brightness on the TV.

A common fault was the info button press corrupting to an STB mute action. The number of reports of this have totally fallen away. My personal initial primary problem was getting the zero to register. But, one day long ago that just went away.

Niles Audio Corp. makes IR repeaters & has a video on their web site showing the fragility of the IR coding that is used for U-verse & other boxes. They said their new line of repeaters could handle it. Oddly, a U-verse customer posted in this community that they had a NIles install that was not working & after they contacted Niles they did not get any satisfactory resolution.

I came to believe that the IR sensor is too sensitive, That the DVR is worse than other STBs. That command type buttons are worse than the number buttons. That, somehow software updates can make it better or worse, So, it is a moving target. Hard to pin down.

I noticed that the U-verse remote does work better than my Logitech Harmony model 700. I looked at the IR signal through a digital camera. It appeared to me that the Harmony IR signal is stronger than the U-verse remote. This reinforces my theory that the IR sensor is too sensitive.

Recently, my most common problem was FF and Play Buttons often corrupted to chan up and chan down more than six times a night while watching recorded shows, exclusively.

I happened to notice that I had a specific kind of "duct tape" covering the blue light on the STB. Actually, it just looks like duct tape, but is electrical tape available at the Home Depot in the electrical dept. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications

This tape has a degree of transparency. I thought I would use it to cover the IR sensor. The remote has never worked better. In over 20 evenings since I applied the tape - watching recordings while FF through the ads - I have not had one chan up - chan down corruption . Previously, there would have been at least 6x20=120 occurrences.

Almost all button presses are accepted & none are changed to a different action.

RF Issues

It should not be a surprise, but it is, that half the problems with the RF remote are IR. I run an STB well hidden for a second TV. I had the IR sensor covered with black tape. I replaced the black tape with the "duct tape" & saw an immediate improvement in response to menu buttons. The number buttons were already good - see below for that solution.

The STB using RF must be hidden due to the dongle conversion of RF to IR. If it is not hidden it is subject to the following problems:

IR corruption - Ironically, the RF remote was often offered as a resolution for IR problems. But, if the STB is not hidden nothing has changed to eliminate theI IR corruption problem. If the corrupting light can be seen by the STB IR sensor it will continue to corrupt the IR signal.

If the STB IR sensor can see IR from another remote, it will respond to it.

If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it.

Note that hidden means the IR does not see outside light - If you have an optical repeater(like the Niles mentioned above) it is IR subject to corruption. If you have an IR receiver that produces RF to go through a wall, it is still IR subject to corruption. Any optical link open to the room is still open to IR corruption.

Only if the remote is RF (like the point anywhere remote) transmitted to a well hidden device will it ward off IR corruption. The ultimate solution is a wireless remote app. These are available, but incomplete & other devices do not yet support wireless remote. But, the Buddy TV remote can be used for a u-verse STB.

Previously, I found the RF remote lacking in RF power - in the same room, twelve feet away, hidden only by a thin sheet of cardboard. One method to increase RF power is to hold the remote under your chin while pressing a button - using your head as an antenna.

A better way is this antenna placed in the battery compartment - http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1366128630&sr=8-8&keywords=cell+phone+booster

With this antenna, the channel numbers are almost always accepted. With the "duct tape" in place, the other buttons work almost every time. The remote now works better than ever.

STB Issues

Once IR and RF issues are resolved, there are timing issues with the STB to contend with. Numbers process fast and Menu items process slow. You need quick, light touch on some numbers to avoid duplicates and a slow, strong press on menu activities. Effort is required to suppress the urge to press again while waiting for a response. It takes concentration to get effective results. Frequently a second press immediately cancels a slow responding first press. Current IR and RF issues amplify the effect of the timing issue.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: IR Receiver Problem

2 of 10 (1,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 9:15:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
aviewer: thank you for the amazing comprehensive post!

I apologize that I didn't reply earlier, but I did read your post almost right away and tested some of the issues you presented. To answer your question, as I posted in my OP, yes I have tested using different remote apps from a smartphone, and the result is the same as with the two Uverse remotes (new, ~1 month old black ones) I have, so I think it's safe to rule out the remote itself as the potential cause of the problem. We can also rule out RF problems as this is a regular IR remote+box that I'm dealing with. I'm also quite comfortable in ruling out 'stb issues', because as the nature of the problem I'm experiencing is intermittent, when it works, it works perfectly and I have zero problem with timing with the way I pressed the buttons I naturally do. In short, in my case, the interaction between the STB and the remote is absolutely perfect... except when it's somewhat randomly not (mostly in the morning, or whenever I turned the TV on the first time that day), when the IR receiver on the STB isn't recognizing that a button is pressed on the remote at all.

Because of this, the only thing that's left is the IR, as I suspected. I was able to rule out corruption problem, as I have noticed no button corruptions at all. No 'wrong' action ever being carried on after a button press. The buttons either work perfectly, or not. I honestly didn't think of a possibility that 'too strong signal' is also a potential cause of problems, so thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, so far my tests of the strength of the IR (either strong or weak) have been inconclusive. IR receiver will either respond or not pretty much the same way when it's slightly covered vs. when I held the remote straight on 2 inches in front of it.

In the end, I still couldn't find a way to consistently fix this issue. However, the surprising twist here is that over the weekend somehow the problem gets slightly better! I'm not sure what the cause is, but we've started experiencing this problem for about a month, and it seemed to be getting worse, but suddenly in the last few days it's gotten much better. Yes, it's still consistently failing in the morning, but it seemed to have gotten faster to react 'normal' again in the past couple of days. I don't know if my tests had anything to do with it or not, but either way I'll take it!

Again, thank you so much for your detailed reply! The night before I posted this my wife was so annoyed with the problem she's ready to call U-verse and ask for a replacement DVR unit. The only problem with that is the bunch of recordings we have on the DVR, which will be gone if we get the box replaced. I told her to be patient and let me ask the forums first, who knows someone may be able to help. Well, in a way, it kind of worked out that way Smiley Happy
aviewer: thank you for the amazing comprehensive post!

I apologize that I didn't reply earlier, but I did read your post almost right away and tested some of the issues you presented. To answer your question, as I posted in my OP, yes I have tested using different remote apps from a smartphone, and the result is the same as with the two Uverse remotes (new, ~1 month old black ones) I have, so I think it's safe to rule out the remote itself as the potential cause of the problem. We can also rule out RF problems as this is a regular IR remote+box that I'm dealing with. I'm also quite comfortable in ruling out 'stb issues', because as the nature of the problem I'm experiencing is intermittent, when it works, it works perfectly and I have zero problem with timing with the way I pressed the buttons I naturally do. In short, in my case, the interaction between the STB and the remote is absolutely perfect... except when it's somewhat randomly not (mostly in the morning, or whenever I turned the TV on the first time that day), when the IR receiver on the STB isn't recognizing that a button is pressed on the remote at all.

Because of this, the only thing that's left is the IR, as I suspected. I was able to rule out corruption problem, as I have noticed no button corruptions at all. No 'wrong' action ever being carried on after a button press. The buttons either work perfectly, or not. I honestly didn't think of a possibility that 'too strong signal' is also a potential cause of problems, so thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, so far my tests of the strength of the IR (either strong or weak) have been inconclusive. IR receiver will either respond or not pretty much the same way when it's slightly covered vs. when I held the remote straight on 2 inches in front of it.

In the end, I still couldn't find a way to consistently fix this issue. However, the surprising twist here is that over the weekend somehow the problem gets slightly better! I'm not sure what the cause is, but we've started experiencing this problem for about a month, and it seemed to be getting worse, but suddenly in the last few days it's gotten much better. Yes, it's still consistently failing in the morning, but it seemed to have gotten faster to react 'normal' again in the past couple of days. I don't know if my tests had anything to do with it or not, but either way I'll take it!

Again, thank you so much for your detailed reply! The night before I posted this my wife was so annoyed with the problem she's ready to call U-verse and ask for a replacement DVR unit. The only problem with that is the bunch of recordings we have on the DVR, which will be gone if we get the box replaced. I told her to be patient and let me ask the forums first, who knows someone may be able to help. Well, in a way, it kind of worked out that way Smiley Happy

3 of 10 (1,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 4:46:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
emilrj - Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear you are in a positive cycle. I completely understand the quirkiness of the issue. Because of that I would like to pursue two items, further.

I am really surprised that the smartphone app did not work. I did not notice that originally you said you tried one. You say smartphone. Is it IOS (Apple) or Android? Which app specifically? If it is not the Buddy TV remote please try that one, Second is U-verse for iphone, but I believe that is not available for Android. I would like to see you try one with the front of the STB totally blocked so that it cannot "see" any light.

Second, because the IR is so flaky and delicate it is very difficult to find something that definitely works for every case. I can only recommend things to try. But, I do believe the tape that I recommended is something that works like magic. If you do not want to get some from Home Depot, I will send you some in the mail of you will PM me your address. Place the tape to the right of the center lights from top to bottom. You can try both horizontal & vertical because the transparency runs in one direction, Mine is placed with the sides of the tape on right and left. So, that is what I expect to work best.
emilrj - Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear you are in a positive cycle. I completely understand the quirkiness of the issue. Because of that I would like to pursue two items, further.

I am really surprised that the smartphone app did not work. I did not notice that originally you said you tried one. You say smartphone. Is it IOS (Apple) or Android? Which app specifically? If it is not the Buddy TV remote please try that one, Second is U-verse for iphone, but I believe that is not available for Android. I would like to see you try one with the front of the STB totally blocked so that it cannot "see" any light.

Second, because the IR is so flaky and delicate it is very difficult to find something that definitely works for every case. I can only recommend things to try. But, I do believe the tape that I recommended is something that works like magic. If you do not want to get some from Home Depot, I will send you some in the mail of you will PM me your address. Place the tape to the right of the center lights from top to bottom. You can try both horizontal & vertical because the transparency runs in one direction, Mine is placed with the sides of the tape on right and left. So, that is what I expect to work best.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (1,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 12:15:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

aviewer, I set the forum to notify me via email when there's a reply, but I just found out this morning that the email address I registered here is not the one I was keeping my eyes on Smiley Happy

First of all, thanks for the offer, but going to Home Depot is not a big problem for me as it's less than ten minutes drive from where I live, so I'll definitely get some tapes sometime in the next few days and follow your tips in applying them.

Now, about the Buddy TV app. I was being brusque and immediately disregarded what you said about the app, because: 1. I already mentioned that I have tried using my smartphone, and 2. I know for sure that none of the iDevices have an IR blaster, and 3. I knew I've tested with my HTC One android phone, that does have an IR blaster and an excellent native TV remote app, and the result is exactly the same with using an actual remote, so I just skimmed through that part and didn't really think about it.

Now that you mentioned it again, I actually looked it up and realized that that's not what you mean, and now I understand how Buddy TV works. I installed the app on my android phone, and pretty soon realized that the android version doesn't support U-verse yet for remote, so that's out. The good thing is I have an iPod Touch and the iOS version of Buddy TV does support Uverse, so I started with the configuration, until I'm stuck because it wouldn't recognize the iPod.

Well of course, while I have U-verse for TV, I got my internet through Charter, and therefore my home network (that the iPod touch is connected to) is not connected to the Uverse box. I noticed however that the wi-fi access point on the RG unit still shows up on wi-fi search, so I tried connecting the iPod Touch to that, and this allows the Buddy remote to work! It's basically like having the boxes and the iPod Touch on their own personal local network, however not connected to my main home network.

Now that I know that this works, it is a legitimate partial solution, but of course ideally the iPod should connect to my main access point and the internet *and* also can work as a remote for the Uverse. The question is, is it possible?

I'd like to think that there's a way to modify the Uverse RG unit LAN interface to work as a pure switch and wireless access point without breaking the TV channels and without acting as a DHCP server. I'm going to have to look it up and do some research and see if it's possible. It's off-topic for this particular sub forum, but this solution would be perfect.

Thanks for your help!

aviewer, I set the forum to notify me via email when there's a reply, but I just found out this morning that the email address I registered here is not the one I was keeping my eyes on Smiley Happy

First of all, thanks for the offer, but going to Home Depot is not a big problem for me as it's less than ten minutes drive from where I live, so I'll definitely get some tapes sometime in the next few days and follow your tips in applying them.

Now, about the Buddy TV app. I was being brusque and immediately disregarded what you said about the app, because: 1. I already mentioned that I have tried using my smartphone, and 2. I know for sure that none of the iDevices have an IR blaster, and 3. I knew I've tested with my HTC One android phone, that does have an IR blaster and an excellent native TV remote app, and the result is exactly the same with using an actual remote, so I just skimmed through that part and didn't really think about it.

Now that you mentioned it again, I actually looked it up and realized that that's not what you mean, and now I understand how Buddy TV works. I installed the app on my android phone, and pretty soon realized that the android version doesn't support U-verse yet for remote, so that's out. The good thing is I have an iPod Touch and the iOS version of Buddy TV does support Uverse, so I started with the configuration, until I'm stuck because it wouldn't recognize the iPod.

Well of course, while I have U-verse for TV, I got my internet through Charter, and therefore my home network (that the iPod touch is connected to) is not connected to the Uverse box. I noticed however that the wi-fi access point on the RG unit still shows up on wi-fi search, so I tried connecting the iPod Touch to that, and this allows the Buddy remote to work! It's basically like having the boxes and the iPod Touch on their own personal local network, however not connected to my main home network.

Now that I know that this works, it is a legitimate partial solution, but of course ideally the iPod should connect to my main access point and the internet *and* also can work as a remote for the Uverse. The question is, is it possible?

I'd like to think that there's a way to modify the Uverse RG unit LAN interface to work as a pure switch and wireless access point without breaking the TV channels and without acting as a DHCP server. I'm going to have to look it up and do some research and see if it's possible. It's off-topic for this particular sub forum, but this solution would be perfect.

Thanks for your help!

5 of 10 (1,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 1:01:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Oct 24, 2013 at 1:02:02 PM

emilrj wrote:

That's a great piece of information that I never thought to try, and may be useful to a lot of people.  Thanks!

As for the other:

Apparently the discovery protocol between the U-verse Connected application and the STB involves an IP broadcast packet on the LAN, which means they have to be on the same subnet.  If you can figure out how to conspire to have your RG and your Charter modem to coexist in the same subnet (maybe turn off DHCP on the Charter modem, assign it an IP address in the RG's static range, and let the RG serve DHCP requests?... just thinking out loud here)

Another thing that MIGHT work would be if you can adjust the subnet mask on your iPod to include two adjacent subnets (e.g. RG 192.168.2.x, Charter: 192.168.1.x, subnet mask for the iPod: 255.255.252), you might be able trick this into working.

These are just hairbrained ideas that I'm throwing out without any testing or deep thought.  Use at your own risk, save original configurations, etc. etc.

emilrj wrote:

That's a great piece of information that I never thought to try, and may be useful to a lot of people.  Thanks!

As for the other:

Apparently the discovery protocol between the U-verse Connected application and the STB involves an IP broadcast packet on the LAN, which means they have to be on the same subnet.  If you can figure out how to conspire to have your RG and your Charter modem to coexist in the same subnet (maybe turn off DHCP on the Charter modem, assign it an IP address in the RG's static range, and let the RG serve DHCP requests?... just thinking out loud here)

Another thing that MIGHT work would be if you can adjust the subnet mask on your iPod to include two adjacent subnets (e.g. RG 192.168.2.x, Charter: 192.168.1.x, subnet mask for the iPod: 255.255.252), you might be able trick this into working.

These are just hairbrained ideas that I'm throwing out without any testing or deep thought.  Use at your own risk, save original configurations, etc. etc.

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (1,448 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 1:11:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Oct 24, 2013 at 1:37:57 PM

emilrj - Thanks for the update. I realize it is a work around, but mostly wanted to demonstrate that your problem is an IR problem.

I was expecting that you have both TV and internet with U-verse. Glad to hear that the remote portion works with just the TV installed.

If you want to look at the internet portion of the app try connecting to the Charter wi-fi. Maybe you can toggle wi-fi to toggle what you want to do. Or, you could use the Android/comcast for internet and the ipod just for remote.

Also, try U-verse for iphone - same as buddy tv without power button. uverse for ipad also works but remote is yucky. easy remote even yuckier.

emilrj - Thanks for the update. I realize it is a work around, but mostly wanted to demonstrate that your problem is an IR problem.

I was expecting that you have both TV and internet with U-verse. Glad to hear that the remote portion works with just the TV installed.

If you want to look at the internet portion of the app try connecting to the Charter wi-fi. Maybe you can toggle wi-fi to toggle what you want to do. Or, you could use the Android/comcast for internet and the ipod just for remote.

Also, try U-verse for iphone - same as buddy tv without power button. uverse for ipad also works but remote is yucky. easy remote even yuckier.

[ Edited ]
7 of 10 (1,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 2:58:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

JefferMC and aviewer - thanks for your responses.

JefferMC, I am intrigued by your first idea. I was thinking before how much of a hassle it would be to change how the RG unit works, and trying to change it may even break the TV channels (as Uverse is IPTV and therefore it requires the networking part to work), but you're suggesting the other way around (having the RG serves as DHCP server as it naturally is), which may work better, and easier. I can probably also turn DHCP off altogether, put the two network into the same subnet, and assign static IP address to all my devices (which are a lot, so this would probably be the last option).

I'm not exactly a network guru so I'm not sure how this is going to work or even if this is possible, but hopefully I can get some time this weekend to try things out.

I will definitely update this thread if I can figure out something!

Thanks!

JefferMC and aviewer - thanks for your responses.

JefferMC, I am intrigued by your first idea. I was thinking before how much of a hassle it would be to change how the RG unit works, and trying to change it may even break the TV channels (as Uverse is IPTV and therefore it requires the networking part to work), but you're suggesting the other way around (having the RG serves as DHCP server as it naturally is), which may work better, and easier. I can probably also turn DHCP off altogether, put the two network into the same subnet, and assign static IP address to all my devices (which are a lot, so this would probably be the last option).

I'm not exactly a network guru so I'm not sure how this is going to work or even if this is possible, but hopefully I can get some time this weekend to try things out.

I will definitely update this thread if I can figure out something!

Thanks!

8 of 10 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 4:58:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You cannot turn DHCP off on the RG, as it has to function to assign addresses to the DVR, STB, and WAP devices as they boot, and there's no way to set them statically.  But, otherwise, good luck and don't forget how it was configured the last time it worked!  Smiley Wink

You cannot turn DHCP off on the RG, as it has to function to assign addresses to the DVR, STB, and WAP devices as they boot, and there's no way to set them statically.  But, otherwise, good luck and don't forget how it was configured the last time it worked!  Smiley Wink

9 of 10 (1,394 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 7:13:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
emilrj - Did you ever get your IR to work? Did you ever try the tape?

You have said it works or it doesn't. You seem to think that IR corruption only changes a button to an incorrect function, My definition also includes changing the IR signal to something that is unrecognizable (i.e. no response).
emilrj - Did you ever get your IR to work? Did you ever try the tape?

You have said it works or it doesn't. You seem to think that IR corruption only changes a button to an incorrect function, My definition also includes changing the IR signal to something that is unrecognizable (i.e. no response).

10 of 10 (1,277 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments