IPV6 rollout plans

Mentor

IPV6 rollout plans

So it appears that AT&T is at long last planning on rolling out IPv6 support this year ( http://www.att.com/ipv6 ).  For the last year I've configured my home as folows:

RG in DMZPlus mode, targeting system X in my house

System X acting as an IPv4 nat router and ipv6 router over a 6in4 tunnel to Hurricane Electric

Now that AT&T is going to be supporting IPv6, I'd love to get rid of the tunnel overhead and just start directly routing ipv6, but I've had trouble getting any answers out of tech support on the phone or via online chat. Hoping one of the moderators or someone who has already rolled out the update can answer these questions.  Specifically:

1) How is AT&T serving IPv6 addresses to residential customers?  Are they sending Route adverisements and expecting SLAAC configuration on clients or doing dhcpv6? I'm guessing the latter, but I'd like to hear that for certain.

2) How do multiple devices work? Does the RG just act as a bridge that all home devices DHCP or SLAAC accross?  Or is AT&T assigning a single address to an RG and implementing IPv6 NAT?  Or do they assign a large subnet to the RG and let it manage local address configuration for connecting clients?

3) Will it be possible to use DMZplus or bridge mode operation under the updated firmware so that we can use a private router to manage ipv6 address subnetting?

4) Depending on the outcome of these questions, it may be desireable to just stick with my Hurricane Electirc provided tunnel.  If that turns out to be the case can we simply disable IPv6 networking on the RG?  Will we still have a globally routable IPv4 address that we can use to establish a tunnel to another provider?

If Anyone from AT&T (or someone who already has the service could answer these questions, I would certinaly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 34 (9,829 Views)
Teacher

Re: IPV6 rollout plans

I to have a 6-in-4 tunnel with HE.net terminating on my Juniper SRX FW and would love to know the answers to these same questions. Anyone?
Message 2 of 34 (9,657 Views)
Tutor

@technique...please share your SRX tunnel config!!! :-D I have address space.from HE.net and spent a while trying how to configure the tunneling, however my IPv6 knowledge is limited at best! I'm running a SRX220 with Junos 11.4r1.14. I actually work for the vendor however I have very little to do with the SRX. I just cut my teeth by running an all Juniper network in my house. Nothing better than total immersion! If you're willing to share here, then great. If we need to exchange contact info please let me know.
Message 3 of 34 (9,614 Views)
Tutor

neilhorman wrote:

So it appears that AT&T is at long last planning on rolling out IPv6 support this year ( http://www.att.com/ipv6 ).  For the last year I've configured my home as folows:

RG in DMZPlus mode, targeting system X in my house

System X acting as an IPv4 nat router and ipv6 router over a 6in4 tunnel to Hurricane Electric

Now that AT&T is going to be supporting IPv6, I'd love to get rid of the tunnel overhead and just start directly routing ipv6, but I've had trouble getting any answers out of tech support on the phone or via online chat. Hoping one of the moderators or someone who has already rolled out the update can answer these questions.  Specifically:

1) How is AT&T serving IPv6 addresses to residential customers?  Are they sending Route adverisements and expecting SLAAC configuration on clients or doing dhcpv6? I'm guessing the latter, but I'd like to hear that for certain.

2) How do multiple devices work? Does the RG just act as a bridge that all home devices DHCP or SLAAC accross?  Or is AT&T assigning a single address to an RG and implementing IPv6 NAT?  Or do they assign a large subnet to the RG and let it manage local address configuration for connecting clients?

3) Will it be possible to use DMZplus or bridge mode operation under the updated firmware so that we can use a private router to manage ipv6 address subnetting?

4) Depending on the outcome of these questions, it may be desireable to just stick with my Hurricane Electirc provided tunnel.  If that turns out to be the case can we simply disable IPv6 networking on the RG?  Will we still have a globally routable IPv4 address that we can use to establish a tunnel to another provider?

If Anyone from AT&T (or someone who already has the service could answer these questions, I would certinaly appreciate it.  Thanks!

They are currently doing 6rd - a type 6to4 tunneling where the address space belongs to the ISP and both outbound and return traffic goes through that ISP's tunnel relay (normal 6to4 has no control over what relay return traffic might attempt).

Look for postings about people with the NVG510 for which AT&T has turned on 6rd.  They are doing SLAAC on the LAN side.  Some people in that thread are using a WRT router capable of 6rd behind their AT&T provided router in passthrough mode.  The same approach should work with DMZplus.  They are providing a /60 prefix that is a function of your WAN IPv4 address.

Message 4 of 34 (9,506 Views)
Mentor

Thank you, thats exactly the information I was looking for

Message 5 of 34 (9,498 Views)
Teacher

@jeffh322: Sent you a PM.

Message 6 of 34 (9,497 Views)
Contributor

Is there anyone knowledgeable from AT&T listening?  And willing to comment or offer documentation?

The only remotely technical details I've seen suggests a /60 prefix based on your IPv4 address.

Which strikes me as buggy-whip mentality.  I can get a /48 from HE.NET's tunnel broker service that's static so that I don't have to play DNS games to anchor my laptop's VPN back to my home network.  (My "High Speed DSL" link bounces frequently and erraticly and every time I get a new IPv4 address - and this suggests that the /60 prefix will change every time too.)

BTW: I'm using a FreeBSD box as my router/gateway/PPoE endpoint, with the DSL modem acting just as a pass-through device.

I don't watch TV (I'm a reader), so paying for U-verse (or Comcast broadband) is unappealing - but when I *did* use Comcast for broadband, it was a lot more stable than AT&T.

Message 7 of 34 (9,206 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

How could you call my 12M internet always 11.51/1.47 as unstable from my install date almost 4 years ago Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 34 (9,200 Views)
Teacher

I would also like more details.  Specifically, I would like to know if the at&t home router firmwares for ipv6 will support routing subnets to internal devices.

I, like many more technically inclined customers, have an interior gateway/router (currently openwrt).  I do this becase:

1. The 2wire 3800hgv-b firmware is garbage.

2. The 2wire doesn't do 802.11n.

3. Security.  If the 2wire or the uverse dvr is hacked, I don't want my computers on that network segment.

4. I like having a less-secure wifi network hosted by the 2wire that visiting friends can use without compromising the security of my main internal network.

5. The 2wire does not handle multiple logical subnets on the same ethernet domain; it goes haywire if it sees multiple addresses for a single MAC.

6. Currently, openwrt does he.net ipv6 tunnel termination.

If the 2wire will not allow me to route an ipv6 subnet to my openwrt router, then I do not want the 2wire to handle ipv6 at all.  I would rather set up 6rd on the openwrt router and let the 2wire continue to be a dumb ipv6-unaware router.  Will that be possible?

Message 9 of 34 (9,014 Views)
Teacher

Note: I'm not on Uverse (yet - did order it though and hoping its not a mistake with some things I hear. Time will tell...). I can say though that DSLreports has this info. Check out this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26785293-When-will-AT-T-U-verse-have-native-IPv6-support

They even mention openwrt.
No credits to me. I thank those who were involved, as that's one reason I'm moving to uverse. Of course, if the adsl static (legacy accounts) have that option, I'll be kicking myself really hard soon... (anyone know anything about that ?)
Message 10 of 34 (8,998 Views)
Tutor

anoxia wrote:

I would also like more details.  Specifically, I would like to know if the at&t home router firmwares for ipv6 will support routing subnets to internal devices.

I, like many more technically inclined customers, have an interior gateway/router (currently openwrt).  I do this becase:

1. The 2wire 3800hgv-b firmware is garbage.

2. The 2wire doesn't do 802.11n.

3. Security.  If the 2wire or the uverse dvr is hacked, I don't want my computers on that network segment.

4. I like having a less-secure wifi network hosted by the 2wire that visiting friends can use without compromising the security of my main internal network.

5. The 2wire does not handle multiple logical subnets on the same ethernet domain; it goes haywire if it sees multiple addresses for a single MAC.

6. Currently, openwrt does he.net ipv6 tunnel termination.

If the 2wire will not allow me to route an ipv6 subnet to my openwrt router, then I do not want the 2wire to handle ipv6 at all.  I would rather set up 6rd on the openwrt router and let the 2wire continue to be a dumb ipv6-unaware router.  Will that be possible?

The 2wire RG does not yet support the IPv6 feature.  I assume it will come later as a firmware upgrade.  What I did was put my 2wire into DMZ Plus mode.  And I configured my dlink behind the 2wire (which like you, I use for 802.11n wifi) to run 6rd.  You have to configure the AT&T 6rd parameters into your box.  AT&Ts 6rd service provides you with a /60 IPv6 subnet that you chop up however you like for your network. 

Another user on this forum posted how to configure dd-wrt for AT&T's 6rd service.  I assume something similar would work for openwrt?

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/IPv6-via-ATT-U-Verse-6rd-My-DD-WRT-startup-script-setti...

Message 11 of 34 (8,916 Views)
Tutor

xexyl wrote:
Note: I'm not on Uverse (yet - did order it though and hoping its not a mistake with some things I hear. Time will tell...). I can say though that DSLreports has this info. Check out this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26785293-When-will-AT-T-U-verse-have-native-IPv6-support

They even mention openwrt.
No credits to me. I thank those who were involved, as that's one reason I'm moving to uverse. Of course, if the adsl static (legacy accounts) have that option, I'll be kicking myself really hard soon... (anyone know anything about that ?)

Legacy DSL can run AT&T's IPv6 service implemented using 6rd.  They have new routers available to users that support 6rd.  But you could instead run 6rd on your own router on legacy DSL, e.g., openwrt or dd-wrt or something like a dlink or linksys router.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/IPv6-via-ATT-U-Verse-6rd-My-DD-WRT-startup-script-setti...

Message 12 of 34 (8,916 Views)
Teacher

Thanks ccjunk. I actually cancelled Uverse order. I realized some issues and very little gain, so I'm on dsl still (so that bit of info is quite useful). Do you know if legacy dsl customers (static) use the same prefix, too ? I assume yes; whois reports that prefix is specifically the AT&T 6rd prefix and the other ipv6 blocks are not. On the other hand, a whois on my block (or the block my ip is in) and the AT&T ipv6 block 2001:48f0::/32 match. Not a big deal if you aren't aware; I'll figure out. I played around with it, but until the gateway I ordered arrives, I can't do much for lack of support of 6rd. I would guess by the end of the week I'll be able to get rid of the HE tunnel. Thanks again.
Message 13 of 34 (8,893 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Any updates on IPV6? I saw posts that said it would roll out in mid to late 2012, but it's now 2013.

Message 14 of 34 (7,526 Views)
jm7
Contributor

OK, it is getting on to nearly halfway through 2013 and no news about the ipv6 rollout.  There is a competitor in my area offering ipv6 (cable unfortunately).  If I have not heard some plans by AT&T before the end of my contract, I will be switching providers.  Just like I gave up on my previous provider after years of being a customer because they would not even tell me if they actually had plans to do IPV6.  At least AT&T said they were going to implement IPV6.  Now it is time for some actual action.

IANA (world wide repository) ran out of IPV4 more than 2 years ago.  APNIC (Asia Pacific) ran out only a few weeks later.  RIPE (Europe) ran out fall 2012.  ARIN (US and Canada) and LACNIC (the rest of the Americas) run out in about a year. At the moment, it looks like ARIN will run out sometime in April or May of 2014 and LACNIC will run out sometime August to October 2014. 

Message 15 of 34 (6,551 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.