Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 19, 2012
12:11:17 PM
IPV6 rollout plans

So it appears that AT&T is at long last planning on rolling out IPv6 support this year ( http://www.att.com/ipv6 ).  For the last year I've configured my home as folows:

RG in DMZPlus mode, targeting system X in my house

System X acting as an IPv4 nat router and ipv6 router over a 6in4 tunnel to Hurricane Electric

Now that AT&T is going to be supporting IPv6, I'd love to get rid of the tunnel overhead and just start directly routing ipv6, but I've had trouble getting any answers out of tech support on the phone or via online chat. Hoping one of the moderators or someone who has already rolled out the update can answer these questions.  Specifically:

1) How is AT&T serving IPv6 addresses to residential customers?  Are they sending Route adverisements and expecting SLAAC configuration on clients or doing dhcpv6? I'm guessing the latter, but I'd like to hear that for certain.

2) How do multiple devices work? Does the RG just act as a bridge that all home devices DHCP or SLAAC accross?  Or is AT&T assigning a single address to an RG and implementing IPv6 NAT?  Or do they assign a large subnet to the RG and let it manage local address configuration for connecting clients?

3) Will it be possible to use DMZplus or bridge mode operation under the updated firmware so that we can use a private router to manage ipv6 address subnetting?

4) Depending on the outcome of these questions, it may be desireable to just stick with my Hurricane Electirc provided tunnel.  If that turns out to be the case can we simply disable IPv6 networking on the RG?  Will we still have a globally routable IPv4 address that we can use to establish a tunnel to another provider?

If Anyone from AT&T (or someone who already has the service could answer these questions, I would certinaly appreciate it.  Thanks!

So it appears that AT&T is at long last planning on rolling out IPv6 support this year ( http://www.att.com/ipv6 ).  For the last year I've configured my home as folows:

System X acting as an IPv4 nat router and ipv6 router over a 6in4 tunnel to Hurricane Electric

Now that AT&T is going to be supporting IPv6, I'd love to get rid of the tunnel overhead and just start directly routing ipv6, but I've had trouble getting any answers out of tech support on the phone or via online chat. Hoping one of the moderators or someone who has already rolled out the update can answer these questions.  Specifically:

1) How is AT&T serving IPv6 addresses to residential customers?  Are they sending Route adverisements and expecting SLAAC configuration on clients or doing dhcpv6? I'm guessing the latter, but I'd like to hear that for certain.

2) How do multiple devices work? Does the RG just act as a bridge that all home devices DHCP or SLAAC accross?  Or is AT&T assigning a single address to an RG and implementing IPv6 NAT?  Or do they assign a large subnet to the RG and let it manage local address configuration for connecting clients?

3) Will it be possible to use DMZplus or bridge mode operation under the updated firmware so that we can use a private router to manage ipv6 address subnetting?

4) Depending on the outcome of these questions, it may be desireable to just stick with my Hurricane Electirc provided tunnel.  If that turns out to be the case can we simply disable IPv6 networking on the RG?  Will we still have a globally routable IPv4 address that we can use to establish a tunnel to another provider?

If Anyone from AT&T (or someone who already has the service could answer these questions, I would certinaly appreciate it.  Thanks!

IPV6 rollout plans

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 7:31:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
I to have a 6-in-4 tunnel with HE.net terminating on my Juniper SRX FW and would love to know the answers to these same questions. Anyone?
I to have a 6-in-4 tunnel with HE.net terminating on my Juniper SRX FW and would love to know the answers to these same questions. Anyone?

Re: IPV6 rollout plans

2 of 34 (9,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 9:59:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
@technique...please share your SRX tunnel config!!! :-D I have address space.from HE.net and spent a while trying how to configure the tunneling, however my IPv6 knowledge is limited at best! I'm running a SRX220 with Junos 11.4r1.14. I actually work for the vendor however I have very little to do with the SRX. I just cut my teeth by running an all Juniper network in my house. Nothing better than total immersion! If you're willing to share here, then great. If we need to exchange contact info please let me know.
@technique...please share your SRX tunnel config!!! :-D I have address space.from HE.net and spent a while trying how to configure the tunneling, however my IPv6 knowledge is limited at best! I'm running a SRX220 with Junos 11.4r1.14. I actually work for the vendor however I have very little to do with the SRX. I just cut my teeth by running an all Juniper network in my house. Nothing better than total immersion! If you're willing to share here, then great. If we need to exchange contact info please let me know.

3 of 34 (9,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2012 9:32:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

neilhorman wrote:

They are currently doing 6rd - a type 6to4 tunneling where the address space belongs to the ISP and both outbound and return traffic goes through that ISP's tunnel relay (normal 6to4 has no control over what relay return traffic might attempt).

Look for postings about people with the NVG510 for which AT&T has turned on 6rd.  They are doing SLAAC on the LAN side.  Some people in that thread are using a WRT router capable of 6rd behind their AT&T provided router in passthrough mode.  The same approach should work with DMZplus.  They are providing a /60 prefix that is a function of your WAN IPv4 address.

neilhorman wrote:

They are currently doing 6rd - a type 6to4 tunneling where the address space belongs to the ISP and both outbound and return traffic goes through that ISP's tunnel relay (normal 6to4 has no control over what relay return traffic might attempt).

Look for postings about people with the NVG510 for which AT&T has turned on 6rd.  They are doing SLAAC on the LAN side.  Some people in that thread are using a WRT router capable of 6rd behind their AT&T provided router in passthrough mode.  The same approach should work with DMZplus.  They are providing a /60 prefix that is a function of your WAN IPv4 address.

4 of 34 (9,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2012 10:27:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you, thats exactly the information I was looking for

Thank you, thats exactly the information I was looking for

5 of 34 (9,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2012 10:44:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

@jeffh322: Sent you a PM.

@jeffh322: Sent you a PM.

6 of 34 (9,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 9:09:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is there anyone knowledgeable from AT&T listening?  And willing to comment or offer documentation?

The only remotely technical details I've seen suggests a /60 prefix based on your IPv4 address.

Which strikes me as buggy-whip mentality.  I can get a /48 from HE.NET's tunnel broker service that's static so that I don't have to play DNS games to anchor my laptop's VPN back to my home network.  (My "High Speed DSL" link bounces frequently and erraticly and every time I get a new IPv4 address - and this suggests that the /60 prefix will change every time too.)

BTW: I'm using a FreeBSD box as my router/gateway/PPoE endpoint, with the DSL modem acting just as a pass-through device.

I don't watch TV (I'm a reader), so paying for U-verse (or Comcast broadband) is unappealing - but when I *did* use Comcast for broadband, it was a lot more stable than AT&T.

Is there anyone knowledgeable from AT&T listening?  And willing to comment or offer documentation?

The only remotely technical details I've seen suggests a /60 prefix based on your IPv4 address.

Which strikes me as buggy-whip mentality.  I can get a /48 from HE.NET's tunnel broker service that's static so that I don't have to play DNS games to anchor my laptop's VPN back to my home network.  (My "High Speed DSL" link bounces frequently and erraticly and every time I get a new IPv4 address - and this suggests that the /60 prefix will change every time too.)

BTW: I'm using a FreeBSD box as my router/gateway/PPoE endpoint, with the DSL modem acting just as a pass-through device.

I don't watch TV (I'm a reader), so paying for U-verse (or Comcast broadband) is unappealing - but when I *did* use Comcast for broadband, it was a lot more stable than AT&T.

Just yell loudly I'm still coming up to speed on smoke signals

7 of 34 (9,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 9:38:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on May 29, 2012 at 9:38:59 AM

How could you call my 12M internet always 11.51/1.47 as unstable from my install date almost 4 years ago Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

How could you call my 12M internet always 11.51/1.47 as unstable from my install date almost 4 years ago Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
8 of 34 (9,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2012 7:54:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

I would also like more details.  Specifically, I would like to know if the at&t home router firmwares for ipv6 will support routing subnets to internal devices.

I, like many more technically inclined customers, have an interior gateway/router (currently openwrt).  I do this becase:

1. The 2wire 3800hgv-b firmware is garbage.

2. The 2wire doesn't do 802.11n.

3. Security.  If the 2wire or the uverse dvr is hacked, I don't want my computers on that network segment.

4. I like having a less-secure wifi network hosted by the 2wire that visiting friends can use without compromising the security of my main internal network.

5. The 2wire does not handle multiple logical subnets on the same ethernet domain; it goes haywire if it sees multiple addresses for a single MAC.

6. Currently, openwrt does he.net ipv6 tunnel termination.

If the 2wire will not allow me to route an ipv6 subnet to my openwrt router, then I do not want the 2wire to handle ipv6 at all.  I would rather set up 6rd on the openwrt router and let the 2wire continue to be a dumb ipv6-unaware router.  Will that be possible?

I would also like more details.  Specifically, I would like to know if the at&t home router firmwares for ipv6 will support routing subnets to internal devices.

I, like many more technically inclined customers, have an interior gateway/router (currently openwrt).  I do this becase:

3. Security.  If the 2wire or the uverse dvr is hacked, I don't want my computers on that network segment.

4. I like having a less-secure wifi network hosted by the 2wire that visiting friends can use without compromising the security of my main internal network.

5. The 2wire does not handle multiple logical subnets on the same ethernet domain; it goes haywire if it sees multiple addresses for a single MAC.

If the 2wire will not allow me to route an ipv6 subnet to my openwrt router, then I do not want the 2wire to handle ipv6 at all.  I would rather set up 6rd on the openwrt router and let the 2wire continue to be a dumb ipv6-unaware router.  Will that be possible?

9 of 34 (8,865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 4:18:51 AM
(0)
Teacher
Note: I'm not on Uverse (yet - did order it though and hoping its not a mistake with some things I hear. Time will tell...). I can say though that DSLreports has this info. Check out this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26785293-When-will-AT-T-U-verse-have-native-IPv6-support

They even mention openwrt.
No credits to me. I thank those who were involved, as that's one reason I'm moving to uverse. Of course, if the adsl static (legacy accounts) have that option, I'll be kicking myself really hard soon... (anyone know anything about that ?)
Note: I'm not on Uverse (yet - did order it though and hoping its not a mistake with some things I hear. Time will tell...). I can say though that DSLreports has this info. Check out this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26785293-When-will-AT-T-U-verse-have-native-IPv6-support

No credits to me. I thank those who were involved, as that's one reason I'm moving to uverse. Of course, if the adsl static (legacy accounts) have that option, I'll be kicking myself really hard soon... (anyone know anything about that ?)

10 of 34 (8,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 12:49:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

anoxia wrote:

The 2wire RG does not yet support the IPv6 feature.  I assume it will come later as a firmware upgrade.  What I did was put my 2wire into DMZ Plus mode.  And I configured my dlink behind the 2wire (which like you, I use for 802.11n wifi) to run 6rd.  You have to configure the AT&T 6rd parameters into your box.  AT&Ts 6rd service provides you with a /60 IPv6 subnet that you chop up however you like for your network. 

Another user on this forum posted how to configure dd-wrt for AT&T's 6rd service.  I assume something similar would work for openwrt?

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/IPv6-via-ATT-U-Verse-6rd-My-DD-WRT-startup-script-setti...

anoxia wrote:

The 2wire RG does not yet support the IPv6 feature.  I assume it will come later as a firmware upgrade.  What I did was put my 2wire into DMZ Plus mode.  And I configured my dlink behind the 2wire (which like you, I use for 802.11n wifi) to run 6rd.  You have to configure the AT&T 6rd parameters into your box.  AT&Ts 6rd service provides you with a /60 IPv6 subnet that you chop up however you like for your network. 

Another user on this forum posted how to configure dd-wrt for AT&T's 6rd service.  I assume something similar would work for openwrt?

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/IPv6-via-ATT-U-Verse-6rd-My-DD-WRT-startup-script-settings/td-p/3061933

11 of 34 (8,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 12:53:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

xexyl wrote:

Legacy DSL can run AT&T's IPv6 service implemented using 6rd.  They have new routers available to users that support 6rd.  But you could instead run 6rd on your own router on legacy DSL, e.g., openwrt or dd-wrt or something like a dlink or linksys router.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/IPv6-via-ATT-U-Verse-6rd-My-DD-WRT-startup-script-setti...

xexyl wrote:

Legacy DSL can run AT&T's IPv6 service implemented using 6rd.  They have new routers available to users that support 6rd.  But you could instead run 6rd on your own router on legacy DSL, e.g., openwrt or dd-wrt or something like a dlink or linksys router.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/IPv6-via-ATT-U-Verse-6rd-My-DD-WRT-startup-script-settings/td-p/3061933

12 of 34 (8,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 1:49:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks ccjunk. I actually cancelled Uverse order. I realized some issues and very little gain, so I'm on dsl still (so that bit of info is quite useful). Do you know if legacy dsl customers (static) use the same prefix, too ? I assume yes; whois reports that prefix is specifically the AT&T 6rd prefix and the other ipv6 blocks are not. On the other hand, a whois on my block (or the block my ip is in) and the AT&T ipv6 block 2001:48f0::/32 match. Not a big deal if you aren't aware; I'll figure out. I played around with it, but until the gateway I ordered arrives, I can't do much for lack of support of 6rd. I would guess by the end of the week I'll be able to get rid of the HE tunnel. Thanks again.
Thanks ccjunk. I actually cancelled Uverse order. I realized some issues and very little gain, so I'm on dsl still (so that bit of info is quite useful). Do you know if legacy dsl customers (static) use the same prefix, too ? I assume yes; whois reports that prefix is specifically the AT&T 6rd prefix and the other ipv6 blocks are not. On the other hand, a whois on my block (or the block my ip is in) and the AT&T ipv6 block 2001:48f0::/32 match. Not a big deal if you aren't aware; I'll figure out. I played around with it, but until the gateway I ordered arrives, I can't do much for lack of support of 6rd. I would guess by the end of the week I'll be able to get rid of the HE tunnel. Thanks again.

13 of 34 (8,744 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 7:28:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

Any updates on IPV6? I saw posts that said it would roll out in mid to late 2012, but it's now 2013.

Any updates on IPV6? I saw posts that said it would roll out in mid to late 2012, but it's now 2013.

14 of 34 (7,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 3:53:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

OK, it is getting on to nearly halfway through 2013 and no news about the ipv6 rollout.  There is a competitor in my area offering ipv6 (cable unfortunately).  If I have not heard some plans by AT&T before the end of my contract, I will be switching providers.  Just like I gave up on my previous provider after years of being a customer because they would not even tell me if they actually had plans to do IPV6.  At least AT&T said they were going to implement IPV6.  Now it is time for some actual action.

IANA (world wide repository) ran out of IPV4 more than 2 years ago.  APNIC (Asia Pacific) ran out only a few weeks later.  RIPE (Europe) ran out fall 2012.  ARIN (US and Canada) and LACNIC (the rest of the Americas) run out in about a year. At the moment, it looks like ARIN will run out sometime in April or May of 2014 and LACNIC will run out sometime August to October 2014. 

OK, it is getting on to nearly halfway through 2013 and no news about the ipv6 rollout.  There is a competitor in my area offering ipv6 (cable unfortunately).  If I have not heard some plans by AT&T before the end of my contract, I will be switching providers.  Just like I gave up on my previous provider after years of being a customer because they would not even tell me if they actually had plans to do IPV6.  At least AT&T said they were going to implement IPV6.  Now it is time for some actual action.

IANA (world wide repository) ran out of IPV4 more than 2 years ago.  APNIC (Asia Pacific) ran out only a few weeks later.  RIPE (Europe) ran out fall 2012.  ARIN (US and Canada) and LACNIC (the rest of the Americas) run out in about a year. At the moment, it looks like ARIN will run out sometime in April or May of 2014 and LACNIC will run out sometime August to October 2014. 

15 of 34 (6,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 12:48:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on May 15, 2013 at 12:52:40 PM

Here are ATT's plans:

What is IPv6 and how will it affect me?

Every device and website on the Internet needs an address, known as an Internet Protocol (IP) address, in order to communicate. The IPv4 addressing structure has been the standard for many years. Since IPv4 only provides about 4 billion usable addresses, a new protocol called IPv6 was developed to allow continued growth of the Internet. IPv6 has so many unique IP addresses available (virtually unlimited) that the Internet can continue to grow well into the future.

You will be happy to know the slow rollout of IPv6 will bring no immediate or near-term impact to your AT&T U-verse service. You will still be able to access your email, favorite Internet websites, and content as you do today for quite some time. In fact, IPv4-based networks are expected to co-exist with IPv6-based networks for many years. AT&T has been planning for the IPv6 transition since 2006.

We will make your U-verse Wireless Gateway IPv6-capable by automatically updating its firmware*. These updates began in 2011 and are expected to continue through end-of-year 2012. If you have one of the following models, you do not need to take any action to receive this routine and automatic update:

• 2Wire/Pace 3600
  • 2Wire/Pace 3800
  • 2Wire/Pace 3801
  • 2Wire/Pace i38HG (iNID)
  • Motorola NVG510 (Compatible Now!)

Please do not call Customer Care requesting for the firmware update sooner or for an exact date, as we cannot provide this information.

Important Note

Motorola 2210 modems, 2Wire/Pace 2701 AT&T High-Speed Internet Wireless Gateways, and Cisco e1000 or e1200 routers cannot be updated to become IPv6-capable. Instead, replacement IPv6-compatible equipment is available for purchase through the AT&T Equipment Shop.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409112#fbid=AR3ZIJo6dhN

Smiley Wink

Edit:  Must be going slow as my 3800 still is not IPv6 ready.

Chris

Here are ATT's plans:

What is IPv6 and how will it affect me?

Every device and website on the Internet needs an address, known as an Internet Protocol (IP) address, in order to communicate. The IPv4 addressing structure has been the standard for many years. Since IPv4 only provides about 4 billion usable addresses, a new protocol called IPv6 was developed to allow continued growth of the Internet. IPv6 has so many unique IP addresses available (virtually unlimited) that the Internet can continue to grow well into the future.

You will be happy to know the slow rollout of IPv6 will bring no immediate or near-term impact to your AT&T U-verse service. You will still be able to access your email, favorite Internet websites, and content as you do today for quite some time. In fact, IPv4-based networks are expected to co-exist with IPv6-based networks for many years. AT&T has been planning for the IPv6 transition since 2006.

We will make your U-verse Wireless Gateway IPv6-capable by automatically updating its firmware*. These updates began in 2011 and are expected to continue through end-of-year 2012. If you have one of the following models, you do not need to take any action to receive this routine and automatic update:

• 2Wire/Pace 3600
  • 2Wire/Pace 3800
  • 2Wire/Pace 3801
  • 2Wire/Pace i38HG (iNID)
  • Motorola NVG510 (Compatible Now!)

Please do not call Customer Care requesting for the firmware update sooner or for an exact date, as we cannot provide this information.

Important Note

Motorola 2210 modems, 2Wire/Pace 2701 AT&T High-Speed Internet Wireless Gateways, and Cisco e1000 or e1200 routers cannot be updated to become IPv6-capable. Instead, replacement IPv6-compatible equipment is available for purchase through the AT&T Equipment Shop.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409112#fbid=AR3ZIJo6dhN

Smiley Wink

Edit:  Must be going slow as my 3800 still is not IPv6 ready.

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
16 of 34 (6,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 11:33:17 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pbnerd on Aug 29, 2013 at 2:14:21 PM

Quote:

"Please do not call Customer Care requesting for the firmware update sooner or for an exact date, as we cannot provide this information."

Ok, well bear with me because I'm serious here.  2013 is just about two-thirds over.  I use a Pace 3801 HGV and I'm still waiting for this update.

If I'm considering a competitor's offer to replace AT&T's services, does Customer Care still not want to be contacted before I make the switch?  So far I have been patient, however there are limits and 1 - 2 years late really pushes that envelope.

Quote:

"Please do not call Customer Care requesting for the firmware update sooner or for an exact date, as we cannot provide this information."

Ok, well bear with me because I'm serious here.  2013 is just about two-thirds over.  I use a Pace 3801 HGV and I'm still waiting for this update.

If I'm considering a competitor's offer to replace AT&T's services, does Customer Care still not want to be contacted before I make the switch?  So far I have been patient, however there are limits and 1 - 2 years late really pushes that envelope.

[ Edited ]
17 of 34 (5,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 12:10:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Well, it is after end-of-year 2012.  I'd say that you can call customer service for an update.  But 95 out of 100 of them will have no idea what you're talking about.

Well, it is after end-of-year 2012.  I'd say that you can call customer service for an update.  But 95 out of 100 of them will have no idea what you're talking about.

18 of 34 (5,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 3:24:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pbnerd on Aug 29, 2013 at 3:26:31 PM

Here's an update: I called AT&T's Customer Care. You were correct in that the technician answering my call had no idea what IPV6 is. Now here's where it gets better. His claim is this: because my system is set to receive nightly updates from AT&T, my 3801HGV must not be hardware-compatible with IPV6. He also ran a compatibility test on my hardware and he said it shows my hardware is not compatible. He offerred to transfer me to someone else who might be able to supply IPV6-compatible equipment. At that point, I declined and ended the call. I have registered at the Pace support website and opened a support ticket asking them for a definitive answer as to whether or not this modem would be compatible with a firmware upgrade. Stay tuned for more details after I receive a reply from Pace...

Here's an update: I called AT&T's Customer Care. You were correct in that the technician answering my call had no idea what IPV6 is. Now here's where it gets better. His claim is this: because my system is set to receive nightly updates from AT&T, my 3801HGV must not be hardware-compatible with IPV6. He also ran a compatibility test on my hardware and he said it shows my hardware is not compatible. He offerred to transfer me to someone else who might be able to supply IPV6-compatible equipment. At that point, I declined and ended the call. I have registered at the Pace support website and opened a support ticket asking them for a definitive answer as to whether or not this modem would be compatible with a firmware upgrade. Stay tuned for more details after I receive a reply from Pace...

[ Edited ]
19 of 34 (5,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 6:59:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

Here is the reply from Pace's support technician:

Response by Robert B.: on 08-29-2013 09:35 pm

Dear Tom,
The 3801HGV's are IPv6 compatible.  AT&T is rolling out an update starting June of this year that makes 3801HGV's and later, IPv6 compatible.  Check your version of software.  If you have 6.9 firmware/software then you have the IPv6 update.
If you have any further questions about this Do not hit reply.   Instead, please respond via the Support Site.
Thank you for contacting Pace/2Wire Robert B. Product Care Specialist

Like many others on this Forum, I use the above hardware, with the firmware update that Pace claims makes it IPV6 compatible.  (My firmware version is 6.9.1.42-enh.tm)

When I use the software on this Pace modem to examine its settings, I see this:

Nothing in the AT&T software allows me to change its status from Disabled to Enabled.  My conclusion is that AT&T's decision is simply not to allow IPV6 access to users of Pace hardware which supports this technology.  Can anyone elxe offer a different conclusion?

Here is the reply from Pace's support technician:

Response by Robert B.: on 08-29-2013 09:35 pm

Dear Tom,
The 3801HGV's are IPv6 compatible.  AT&T is rolling out an update starting June of this year that makes 3801HGV's and later, IPv6 compatible.  Check your version of software.  If you have 6.9 firmware/software then you have the IPv6 update.
If you have any further questions about this Do not hit reply.   Instead, please respond via the Support Site.
Thank you for contacting Pace/2Wire Robert B. Product Care Specialist

Like many others on this Forum, I use the above hardware, with the firmware update that Pace claims makes it IPV6 compatible.  (My firmware version is 6.9.1.42-enh.tm)

When I use the software on this Pace modem to examine its settings, I see this:

Nothing in the AT&T software allows me to change its status from Disabled to Enabled.  My conclusion is that AT&T's decision is simply not to allow IPV6 access to users of Pace hardware which supports this technology.  Can anyone elxe offer a different conclusion?

20 of 34 (5,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 8:39:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Somewhere in these forums is a post from a customer who discovered that IPv6 was working for him.  However, I don't know what kind of gateway he has.

Somewhere in these forums is a post from a customer who discovered that IPv6 was working for him.  However, I don't know what kind of gateway he has.

21 of 34 (5,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 10:25:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

My guess is that whether Pace is capable of IPv6 or not is not the only factor. When I first got the Pace (returned it) I got it because the claim it supports static IP configuration. Of course, I should have known that the claim is for static IP blocks and not legacy customers. But I hoped any way and it was the wrong decision. So shortly after that I had a tech here (this some quite time ago) and what he told me is while hardware might be supported it does not matter as ADSL customers are not in fact going to get IPv6 - or at least they weren't at that point.

I see that this is in the Uverse forum but I thought the Pace gateway was for ADSL. Maybe there exists some for Uverse and some for ADSL but if you do happen to have ADSL then it might be that you simply do not get it (there's also been the suggestion that AT&T is rolling out more equipment and trying to get customers off the old circuits which may or may not be a problem depending on the customer - no idea how true the suggestion is though). In that case I would suggest either setting up a tunnel broker account (though if your IP Is dynamic that's more of a problem though not necessarily impossible).

As for techs I would say that - through my experience, because of the fact a legacy customer - if you are to get any where you need to escalate to at least tier 2 support. They would have more info (though again that is not a guarantee: despite IPv6 original specification [RFC 1883] was proposed in 1995 we're still on IPv4 because of the workaround of dynamic allocation and NAT; I mean in the 90s AT&T gave customers single static IPs by default). Tier 1 will try to help you and they will often insist upon it (as it is their job) but you need to persist. For me I usually told them it was something to do with the redback (the routers) configuration or similar things (sometimes it was not much work to get to them and other times it was more work). I think at one point I had a direct # to tier 2 support but even if I still did I can hardly imagine AT&T would be impressed with it being posted here. On the other hand you might be able to get help from David here on the forum? He works for AT&T and (I can only assume) he is the same one on broadbandreports.com (dslreports.com too I believe) and over there there is a private forum so you can give your information (contact info etc) and no one but the techs can see it (well and you for your post). Note on that: don't respond to your post until they respond because they will think (as it has a response) that one of the other techs may be helping you already.

Hopefully that helps you some. Sad as it may be I think my main frustration (usually only) with AT&T is that their telephone support is not that great (and loops... that drive you crazy [local loops? heh]) and if they could improve there it would be a really good thing because for I cannot even imagine the frustration that non-experienced customers go through given that I know what the problem is (some times telling them the exact thing they need to do) and yet I get frustrated with the support line. I do know that there's techs and even engineers in the company that really do care and really want to help but getting to the right person can be frustrating at times.

My guess is that whether Pace is capable of IPv6 or not is not the only factor. When I first got the Pace (returned it) I got it because the claim it supports static IP configuration. Of course, I should have known that the claim is for static IP blocks and not legacy customers. But I hoped any way and it was the wrong decision. So shortly after that I had a tech here (this some quite time ago) and what he told me is while hardware might be supported it does not matter as ADSL customers are not in fact going to get IPv6 - or at least they weren't at that point.

I see that this is in the Uverse forum but I thought the Pace gateway was for ADSL. Maybe there exists some for Uverse and some for ADSL but if you do happen to have ADSL then it might be that you simply do not get it (there's also been the suggestion that AT&T is rolling out more equipment and trying to get customers off the old circuits which may or may not be a problem depending on the customer - no idea how true the suggestion is though). In that case I would suggest either setting up a tunnel broker account (though if your IP Is dynamic that's more of a problem though not necessarily impossible).

As for techs I would say that - through my experience, because of the fact a legacy customer - if you are to get any where you need to escalate to at least tier 2 support. They would have more info (though again that is not a guarantee: despite IPv6 original specification [RFC 1883] was proposed in 1995 we're still on IPv4 because of the workaround of dynamic allocation and NAT; I mean in the 90s AT&T gave customers single static IPs by default). Tier 1 will try to help you and they will often insist upon it (as it is their job) but you need to persist. For me I usually told them it was something to do with the redback (the routers) configuration or similar things (sometimes it was not much work to get to them and other times it was more work). I think at one point I had a direct # to tier 2 support but even if I still did I can hardly imagine AT&T would be impressed with it being posted here. On the other hand you might be able to get help from David here on the forum? He works for AT&T and (I can only assume) he is the same one on broadbandreports.com (dslreports.com too I believe) and over there there is a private forum so you can give your information (contact info etc) and no one but the techs can see it (well and you for your post). Note on that: don't respond to your post until they respond because they will think (as it has a response) that one of the other techs may be helping you already.

Hopefully that helps you some. Sad as it may be I think my main frustration (usually only) with AT&T is that their telephone support is not that great (and loops... that drive you crazy [local loops? heh]) and if they could improve there it would be a really good thing because for I cannot even imagine the frustration that non-experienced customers go through given that I know what the problem is (some times telling them the exact thing they need to do) and yet I get frustrated with the support line. I do know that there's techs and even engineers in the company that really do care and really want to help but getting to the right person can be frustrating at times.

22 of 34 (5,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 9:41:40 PM
(0)

A few months back we started getting stickers with the RGs that said IPv6 compatible.

I believe it will show IPv6 disabled in the RG settings unless your account is provisioned for IPv6. No idea when they will release that...

A few months back we started getting stickers with the RGs that said IPv6 compatible.

I believe it will show IPv6 disabled in the RG settings unless your account is provisioned for IPv6. No idea when they will release that...

23 of 34 (5,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 9:42:40 PM
(0)

The latest firmware update that was pushed 6 weeks ago or so added IPv6 in many different places in the GUI.

The latest firmware update that was pushed 6 weeks ago or so added IPv6 in many different places in the GUI.

24 of 34 (5,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 10:55:37 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by rolande8023 on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:56:46 AM

Apparently there is a memory leak situation with IPv6 on the 2Wire/Pace gateways that is being actively worked on for resolution. Hence, why the widespread IPv6 rollout to existing RGs has been kind of stalled. The new firmware is also breaking customers with existing IPv6 tunnels passing thru from a router behind the RG which is also in the dev pipeline for fixing. These issues do not appear to exist on the new Motorola NVG589 platform but, regardless, the IPv6 profile is not being enabled by default, yet. You can ask the AT&T social media team very nicely to have it enabled or post in the AT&T Direct forum on DSLReports.com. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect

Apparently there is a memory leak situation with IPv6 on the 2Wire/Pace gateways that is being actively worked on for resolution. Hence, why the widespread IPv6 rollout to existing RGs has been kind of stalled. The new firmware is also breaking customers with existing IPv6 tunnels passing thru from a router behind the RG which is also in the dev pipeline for fixing. These issues do not appear to exist on the new Motorola NVG589 platform but, regardless, the IPv6 profile is not being enabled by default, yet. You can ask the AT&T social media team very nicely to have it enabled or post in the AT&T Direct forum on DSLReports.com. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect

[ Edited ]
25 of 34 (5,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 7:48:34 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:50:16 AM

We are working to enable IPv6 for all of our consumer broadband customers and when we have a firmware update for IPv6, we will push it to our devices and enable it. For more information, please refer to www.att.com/ipv6.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

We are working to enable IPv6 for all of our consumer broadband customers and when we have a firmware update for IPv6, we will push it to our devices and enable it. For more information, please refer to www.att.com/ipv6.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
26 of 34 (4,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:43:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks, I know you're trying, but unfortunately, you're not doing a very good job of it:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/UVerse-and-IPv6-Tunneling-with-3800-HGV-B/td-p/3511251

In your efforts to roll out ipv6 you've pushed an interim firmware update to the 2wire gateways that drops ip protocol 41. That means that, for anyone who set your gateway in bridge mode to run their  own ipv6 tunnel, you've just broken their ipv6 connectivity.

I know you guys are trying, but this makes AT&T look extreemly like amateurs  

Thanks, I know you're trying, but unfortunately, you're not doing a very good job of it:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/UVerse-and-IPv6-Tunneling-with-3800-HGV-B/td-p/3511251

In your efforts to roll out ipv6 you've pushed an interim firmware update to the 2wire gateways that drops ip protocol 41. That means that, for anyone who set your gateway in bridge mode to run their  own ipv6 tunnel, you've just broken their ipv6 connectivity.

I know you guys are trying, but this makes AT&T look extreemly like amateurs  

27 of 34 (4,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 10:44:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

A couple months later and still no IPv6. IF they weren't ready to roll out IPv6 they should have not have upgraded the firmware on my 3800 router since the firmware update broke my IPv6 tunnel and in the mean time I have absolutely no IPv6 connectivity here because the router now blocks Protocol 41 (required for the Hurricane Electric IPv6 Tunnel). 

Not amused... 

A couple months later and still no IPv6. IF they weren't ready to roll out IPv6 they should have not have upgraded the firmware on my 3800 router since the firmware update broke my IPv6 tunnel and in the mean time I have absolutely no IPv6 connectivity here because the router now blocks Protocol 41 (required for the Hurricane Electric IPv6 Tunnel). 

Not amused... 

28 of 34 (4,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 6:01:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got the firmware upgrade last night, and it is also blocking IPv6 on my network.  I use Microsoft Direct Access, which requires IPv6 tunneling, and now my Direct Access connection is dead in the water.  The firewall should provide a way for the customer to add protocol 41 for allowing traffic, so that we can keep tunneling.

Fortunately my work has native IPv6, so IF I ever get IPv6, I can just modify Direct Access to use native IPv6 and IPsec tunneling.  But having IPv6 blocked, and also not being offered native IPv6 puts me in a very bad place.  I designed and installed the Microsoft Direct Access infrastructure for my work, and I can no longer support it from my own home.  Worse yet, all other employees on U-Verse in my area will also likely be blocked, which breaks our ability to remotely manage our work-owned devices that are used at home.

This isn't just about a few customers who were using IPv6 tunnels, this is about breaking RFC compliant tunnels, that have useful purposes.

I just got the firmware upgrade last night, and it is also blocking IPv6 on my network.  I use Microsoft Direct Access, which requires IPv6 tunneling, and now my Direct Access connection is dead in the water.  The firewall should provide a way for the customer to add protocol 41 for allowing traffic, so that we can keep tunneling.

Fortunately my work has native IPv6, so IF I ever get IPv6, I can just modify Direct Access to use native IPv6 and IPsec tunneling.  But having IPv6 blocked, and also not being offered native IPv6 puts me in a very bad place.  I designed and installed the Microsoft Direct Access infrastructure for my work, and I can no longer support it from my own home.  Worse yet, all other employees on U-Verse in my area will also likely be blocked, which breaks our ability to remotely manage our work-owned devices that are used at home.

This isn't just about a few customers who were using IPv6 tunnels, this is about breaking RFC compliant tunnels, that have useful purposes.

29 of 34 (3,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 6:36:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree, I spent a few hours on the phone with AT&T, and between the fact that no one on the phone understood what a tunnel was, or that the RG had a DMZ mode, and that there is no acutal process for reporting a firmware bug ni the RG, I gave up.  I wound up upgrading to the 45MBs service, which came with the new Motorolla RG kit, and it still passes protocol 41 traffic.  It works fine now with my personal tunnel

I agree, I spent a few hours on the phone with AT&T, and between the fact that no one on the phone understood what a tunnel was, or that the RG had a DMZ mode, and that there is no acutal process for reporting a firmware bug ni the RG, I gave up.  I wound up upgrading to the 45MBs service, which came with the new Motorolla RG kit, and it still passes protocol 41 traffic.  It works fine now with my personal tunnel

30 of 34 (3,772 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments