IP Address Change?

Tutor

IP Address Change?

While I realize that this has likely been asked dozens of times before me - none of the threads I looked over seemed to actually directly address the issue, most ending with an employee saying it was solve through a PM, or the user having simply replied with something to end it - without a fix.

I have current family visiting - to whom have also taken to several specific gaming communities that i'm heavily involved in. Basically, they screwed some things up, and i'm needing an ip change. I'm not sure if I have a dynamic or static IP - though i've downloaded some programs to check "Portforward Static IP" - and it says I have dynamic. I've tried basic solutions that don't seem to work on 2WIRE AT&T (router/modem?) with messing around in the cmd, restarting everything to no avail.

I am considering calling up AT&T and trying my luck there, but would prefer to go through something less 'troublesome' for both parties. I am willing to switch ISP's if need be - though I do require an IP address change.

I have 3800HGV-B.

Message 1 of 9 (1,124 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: IP Address Change?

Most likely a port change in the VRAD is the only way to change your IP address and some have reported that has NOT changed the IP address.  I've had the same IP address for more than 5 years on my 3800. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (1,123 Views)
Tutor

Mind providing a link on how to go about doing a port change in the VRAD? Google didn't seem to do it. -... And, is the VRAD the web panel - 192.168...... - etc?
Message 3 of 9 (1,112 Views)
ACE - Expert

The port is the device in the VRAD that your copper loop is connected to. It is changed by a tech if it appears to have a defect. It is a physical change done by an att tech.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9 (1,109 Views)
Tutor

So the only options available are to call a tech to my house?

I recall having read in a previous thread about trying something along the lines of...
1-Logging into web page 192.168-...
2-Click Reset to Factory Default State.
3-Look at router lights. Once router resets all the lights will go out except power light - then you wait till broadband light is blinking red, once that happens you pull the power plug.
4-Leave off for ~1 hour, then plug in.

Not sure if that sounds like it'd work - thoughts on it?
Message 5 of 9 (1,108 Views)
ACE - Expert

You call a tech and it will be on the $$$ clock and would not come out probably.  No matter what you do w/that 3800, it will not get a new IP address.

I've had power off for up to 3 1/2 days over July 4th weekend a few years ago and still had the same dynamic IP address when power came back up.  Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 6 of 9 (1,097 Views)
Tutor

I called up some support hotline where I was directed to some representative for 'advanced' - technichal support who could remotely access my computer to change the IP Address. The girl I spoke to wasn't apparently very familiar with a 'fix' on the issue, and she said if I cared to go ahead with this i'd need to pay $15/month or something, with mention of 12 months?

Just wanting to be aware of my options available - you mentioned a technician being sent to my house, would this 'remote access' support be a better option?
Message 7 of 9 (1,070 Views)
Community Support

Hi Zenobrand,

As mibrnsurg stated, one of the ways to change your IP is by changing the port, but it's not always guaranteed. I have had U-verse for 4 years, and at one point, I had the same IP for 2 years, and then in a 1 day period, it had changed twice. Unfortunately, through random assignments from our DHCP pool, there is no guarantee you will get a different IP.

I could try locking your connection for 12 hours and then turning it back on, which may lead to a different IP address. The additional support, may provide you a solution through proxy servers, which may be ideal if this does happen often.

Another way you can ensure getting a different IP is by purchasing static IPs through us. From there, we assign you a block of IP addresses that are unique to you, and if something happens to one of them, you can switch to the next.

If you do need additional support regarding this, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you.

Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 9 (1,051 Views)
x76
Contributor

You will need a new gateway. ATT will ship one to you and have you return your old one. You'll need to change the PW on all your devices. That is the only way to get a new IP address.

Message 9 of 9 (936 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.