Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 7, 2014
8:57:45 AM
I want to move the location where the cable enters my house
Does anyone have the specs on the correct cable I need to buy in order to move the router to a better location? The install tech in talked it in the basement corner. Half my house doesn't get wifi. I want to buy a longer cable connecting to the outside grey box to the small 4x4 inch unit on the inside of the house. The specs on the cable would be greatly appreciated. Oh.... And if you know which wires connect up what in the grey box outside.
Does anyone have the specs on the correct cable I need to buy in order to move the router to a better location? The install tech in talked it in the basement corner. Half my house doesn't get wifi. I want to buy a longer cable connecting to the outside grey box to the small 4x4 inch unit on the inside of the house. The specs on the cable would be greatly appreciated. Oh.... And if you know which wires connect up what in the grey box outside.

I want to move the location where the cable enters my house

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 9:15:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Feb 7, 2014 at 10:12:09 AM

xczar20x - You need to look at the cable - could be cat3, cat5 or coax, depending on services & how installed.

THe connection in the NID has a "tamper proof" closure for att side where it is wired. If the modem cable end is cat3 or 5 it has either a large or small connector. The small is RJ-11 & the large is RJ-45. You can buy a coupler for either.

monoprice.com for cables & couplers.

xczar20x - You need to look at the cable - could be cat3, cat5 or coax, depending on services & how installed.

THe connection in the NID has a "tamper proof" closure for att side where it is wired. If the modem cable end is cat3 or 5 it has either a large or small connector. The small is RJ-11 & the large is RJ-45. You can buy a coupler for either.

monoprice.com for cables & couplers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I want to move the location where the cable enters my house

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 9:41:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

xczar20x wrote:

Rather than move the AT&T Router why don't you get one of these: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufactu...=  This will save allot of work, materials, etc. for you.  Basically plug and play.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

xczar20x wrote:

Rather than move the AT&T Router why don't you get one of these: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufacturer=&q_model=  This will save allot of work, materials, etc. for you.  Basically plug and play.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 9:58:46 AM
(0)
Tutor
That intrigues me, but I also want to move the wireless router upstairs so I can hardwire the TV box and my smart TV. I figured moving everything would grant me better wifi for handhelds and iPads while giving me the ability to hard wire the TV and computers.
That intrigues me, but I also want to move the wireless router upstairs so I can hardwire the TV box and my smart TV. I figured moving everything would grant me better wifi for handhelds and iPads while giving me the ability to hard wire the TV and computers.

4 of 7 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 9:59:49 AM
(0)
Tutor
Aviewer---- when I get home I will try and determine what setup I have and let you know. Thanks for helping.
Aviewer---- when I get home I will try and determine what setup I have and let you know. Thanks for helping.

5 of 7 (316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 11:14:20 AM
(0)
Tutor
Aviewer..... Sorry for the delay. Here is what I think I have. Cat5 wire from outside NID to inside wall jack. The jack has two ports. One set of te cat5 wire connects to the backup battery. Another set connects to an RJ11 (I think that's is what they call the same as a phone cord) female jack. The green data cable connects to that. Though I didn't look to see if the other end of the green data cable is RJ11 or RJ45 (ethernet style??).

I may have solved my own problem. I have a 100 foot cat5 with RJ45 ends. Let me know if or where I go wrong.

I cut the RJ45 ends off revealing the internal wiring. Connect one set (will use same color as existing) of wires into outside NID on the far right of the four switches. Match up the battery backup wires to the correct switch. Run the cat5 along the chimney and drill a hole allowing access to the attic. Run down the inner wall to the final location. Now to my last problem. What is my best bet for this jack? Is there a possibility to get a femal RJ11 I can splice to the colors connected to the NID? How about the colors connecting to the battery back up? It currently looks like these wires are coupled by using. Piece of clear melted plastic.

I guess, assuming everything I stated above is correct, I just need to know how to connect the outside cat5 to the inner wires.

Shoot, can I just use the crimp style wire connectors?
Aviewer..... Sorry for the delay. Here is what I think I have. Cat5 wire from outside NID to inside wall jack. The jack has two ports. One set of te cat5 wire connects to the backup battery. Another set connects to an RJ11 (I think that's is what they call the same as a phone cord) female jack. The green data cable connects to that. Though I didn't look to see if the other end of the green data cable is RJ11 or RJ45 (ethernet style??).

I may have solved my own problem. I have a 100 foot cat5 with RJ45 ends. Let me know if or where I go wrong.

I cut the RJ45 ends off revealing the internal wiring. Connect one set (will use same color as existing) of wires into outside NID on the far right of the four switches. Match up the battery backup wires to the correct switch. Run the cat5 along the chimney and drill a hole allowing access to the attic. Run down the inner wall to the final location. Now to my last problem. What is my best bet for this jack? Is there a possibility to get a femal RJ11 I can splice to the colors connected to the NID? How about the colors connecting to the battery back up? It currently looks like these wires are coupled by using. Piece of clear melted plastic.

I guess, assuming everything I stated above is correct, I just need to know how to connect the outside cat5 to the inner wires.

Shoot, can I just use the crimp style wire connectors?

6 of 7 (236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 11:57:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
xczar20x - Sounds like you made a lot of progress. I can make a few comments on connections but "MYthoughts" may have better advice.

You can google RJ-11 & RJ45 to see wiring connections. You can buy jacks for either in many forms to accept the plugs. Avail at home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, Amazon, almost anywhere. You can plug in an rj-11 into an rj-45 jack. Both use the center connection to carry the U_verse signal. I believe blue *& blue white have the right twist to prevent problems.

You can connect two wires in any way , as long as it works. Probably, the worst case is - I had tree come down and break the drop wire. My temporary connection of twisting and taping worked fine. Since you are doing only one - solder is solid. It just does not lend itself to production work in the field. Also, my officemate told me about his neighbor trying to connect without exposing the copper. Insulation will not complete the circuit. But, I imagine you know that.

Using the same wire for power feed adds a little complexity. If you had left the Rj-45 on the cable you could have plugged it into the RG & connect whichever wires are on the center pins to the NID for the service feed. But, you would have to break in to the cable for a pair to carry the power.

Keep me in the loop.
xczar20x - Sounds like you made a lot of progress. I can make a few comments on connections but "MYthoughts" may have better advice.

You can google RJ-11 & RJ45 to see wiring connections. You can buy jacks for either in many forms to accept the plugs. Avail at home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, Amazon, almost anywhere. You can plug in an rj-11 into an rj-45 jack. Both use the center connection to carry the U_verse signal. I believe blue *& blue white have the right twist to prevent problems.

You can connect two wires in any way , as long as it works. Probably, the worst case is - I had tree come down and break the drop wire. My temporary connection of twisting and taping worked fine. Since you are doing only one - solder is solid. It just does not lend itself to production work in the field. Also, my officemate told me about his neighbor trying to connect without exposing the copper. Insulation will not complete the circuit. But, I imagine you know that.

Using the same wire for power feed adds a little complexity. If you had left the Rj-45 on the cable you could have plugged it into the RG & connect whichever wires are on the center pins to the NID for the service feed. But, you would have to break in to the cable for a pair to carry the power.

Keep me in the loop.

7 of 7 (230 Views)