I set up a third party router and can log into the wireless service it provides, but can't get DNS

Mentor

I set up a third party router and can log into the wireless service it provides, but can't get DNS

I used this info to configure my router:
http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

I can log into the new wireless network but don't get DNS (can't connect to any websites). This is a Cisco e1000. I would expect to need to furnish the credentials for my AT&T network account when configuring a device this way (DNS name is gateway.2wire.net) but I can't find a place to enter that. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4 (306 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: I set up a third party router and can log into the wireless service it provides, but can't get D

Your router doesn't need to be configured for the 2WIRE RG's name. It should discover it by using the DHCP protocol as a client and getting its WAN IP from the RG.  This should also get your router DNS information as well.

There are two different configuration in that thread you referenced.  post 2 in this thread tells you how to configure your device to operate as a router (which I'm assuming you've done).  post 13 in this thread tells you how to configure your device as an Access Point.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (214 Views)
Voyager

Re: I set up a third party router and can log into the wireless service it provides, but can't get D

I need to use a router as a wireless client so that I can get my desktop on the RG's wireless. I can connect it to the wireless, but after a few hours my wireless becomes unusabe, and none of my devices can log into the wireless. Any ideas on how to deal with this problem?

Message 3 of 4 (173 Views)
ACE - Expert

Mi5ke wrote:

I need to use a router as a wireless client so that I can get my desktop on the RG's wireless. I can connect it to the wireless, but after a few hours my wireless becomes unusabe, and none of my devices can log into the wireless. Any ideas on how to deal with this problem?

So... you are trying to use the Router as a Wireless Bridge?  (i.e. you hook the computer to this device, this device communicates wirelessly to the RG's wireless, which then routes it to the Internet)

I'm surprised that you're getting it to work reliably for even a few hours.  You might want to investigate loading DD-WRT on the client device and using it.  Here's a link that describes that configuration:  http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (167 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.