Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 30, 2013
11:41:26 PM
View profile
I recently updated my DSL to U-Verse Internet.

But now my wifi range went from my entire house with DSL, to not even able to extend from the kitchen (where my router happens to be stationed). Is there a way i can fix this problem myself? Or should I wait for the At&t service men?

Details: Strong wifi: Right next to modem.

Internet drops off almost immediately once I reach 5-10 feet away from the modem.

I've had this modem for about half a day now. Sadly I wasn't able to properly test this wifi, because I had to leave after the servicemen apparently finished after 6 hrs.

But now my wifi range went from my entire house with DSL, to not even able to extend from the kitchen (where my router happens to be stationed). Is there a way i can fix this problem myself? Or should I wait for the At&t service men?

Details: Strong wifi: Right next to modem.

Internet drops off almost immediately once I reach 5-10 feet away from the modem.

I've had this modem for about half a day now. Sadly I wasn't able to properly test this wifi, because I had to leave after the servicemen apparently finished after 6 hrs.

I recently updated my DSL to U-Verse Internet.

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 3:37:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It sounds like you might be getting some interference on your current channel your on.  Download this: inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek and run it.  Find the least congested channel and switch your new router to that channel.  Other things that could degrade your signal are cordless phones in the same 2.4 Ghz range, microwaves, fluorescent lights, etc.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

It sounds like you might be getting some interference on your current channel your on.  Download this: inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek and run it.  Find the least congested channel and switch your new router to that channel.  Other things that could degrade your signal are cordless phones in the same 2.4 Ghz range, microwaves, fluorescent lights, etc.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I recently updated my DSL to U-Verse Internet.

2 of 7 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:56:18 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello nerd101, I'm sorry about the trouble you are having with the WiFi range on your Residential Gateway. Like BeeBee SA suggested, it could be interference causing the wireless frequency to be knocked out. Once you identify the least congested channel you can make the changes on the Residential Gateway - Changing Wireless Channel . It is also very possible you have a defective Residential Gateway. I have sent you a private message to provide you some options to have it replaced if necessary. Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello nerd101, I'm sorry about the trouble you are having with the WiFi range on your Residential Gateway. Like BeeBee SA suggested, it could be interference causing the wireless frequency to be knocked out. Once you identify the least congested channel you can make the changes on the Residential Gateway - Changing Wireless Channel . It is also very possible you have a defective Residential Gateway. I have sent you a private message to provide you some options to have it replaced if necessary. Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 9:10:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

I believe it is defective, because prior to this router/gateway I had a different router in the same area that provided steadfast internet through out the house. The service men are supposed to contact me today, or I shall contact them soon. I'll take a look at your message one it appears since it revolves around the conclusion I have come to. I've experimented with my gateway and took a look at the advanced config. to no avail.

I believe it is defective, because prior to this router/gateway I had a different router in the same area that provided steadfast internet through out the house. The service men are supposed to contact me today, or I shall contact them soon. I'll take a look at your message one it appears since it revolves around the conclusion I have come to. I've experimented with my gateway and took a look at the advanced config. to no avail.

4 of 7 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 9:11:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

5 of 7 (270 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 11:46:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

It was a defective gateway.. and I've gotten it replaced about 2 mins ago and the difference is noticeable enough since I'm not sitting in my room and not the kitchen. Thanks for the input though!

It was a defective gateway.. and I've gotten it replaced about 2 mins ago and the difference is noticeable enough since I'm not sitting in my room and not the kitchen. Thanks for the input though!

6 of 7 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 11:49:44 AM
(0)
Employee

Excellent! I am glad to know that resolved your trouble. Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Excellent! I am glad to know that resolved your trouble. Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 7 (270 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments