I-pad mini 5 to t.v./d.v.r. communication

Guru

I-pad mini 5 to t.v./d.v.r. communication

Is anyone aware how to link an ipod mini (gen 5) to the vip2250 or my t.v. (samsung smart 60" l.e.d.)?. 

Possibly via blue tooth?

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 7 (636 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: I-pad mini 5 to t.v./d.v.r. communication

[ Edited ]

antman_2 - What is it you want to do via "the link"?

The simplest is HDMI mirroring the ipad on the Samsung (or any TV). It requires the HDMI adapter & an appropriate length HDMI cable - both avail from monoprice.com.

If you want to do that wireless you have two levels -
Get an apple TV & wireless between it and the ipad. OOPs. thats why you got the Samsung smart TV. But, the Samsung does not have the wireless link to the ipad. Apple only has it in Apple TV.

The Apple TV is also limited in internet access, so go for a MAC mini & display on the Samsung via HDMI. But, Apple does not have wireless for mirroring the Mini because they want to sell you the Apple TV. You also need Airserver - http://www.airserver.com/

to mirror the ipad on the mac mini on the Samsung

There are apps to control the U-verse boxes and view some content on the ipad. In the app store search for U-verse. Also, check out Buddy TV - it is the best remote app,

But, you cannot (yet) mirror live U-verse on the ipad mini. And, if you try to mirror the U-verse app from the ipad to the Samsung, via HDMI or wireless, it will be blocked.

In summary, there are some devices available that do some linking between IOS devices, TVs (Smart not required), Mac computers, apple TV and U-verse. Just not the one thing you want to do. Please post as you experiment with the possibilities so we can find out & share what can be done & what is yet to be done.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (616 Views)
Guru

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. Could get the adaptor and cable only to have the image sketchy but it's not worth it. Oh well. 

Message 3 of 7 (582 Views)
Scholar

I have a Samsung Smart TV and a Galaxy phone.  I can mirror the phone with my tv through the wireless feature on the RG.  I do it all the time.  I thought any phone that supported the mirroring feature would work the same.  You have to turn mirroring on the tv as well as your phone or pad.

Message 4 of 7 (505 Views)
ACE - Expert

db821arc - Can you say what app (or other setting/selection) you use on the Samsung to mirror the phone?? I see that the home wi-fi network established by the RG can carry the signal between the two, but, the TV needs something to know where to get it & process it. Essentially it needs to replicate what happens when HDMI1 is selected and connected.

Your post triggered me to look at the Samsung web site. I was amazed to find it lists 48 pages of apps to do things on the smart TV. I think my (cheap) JVC Smart TV does not even have six. Not six pages six apps. So, those interested in a smart TV need to be careful how much they are actually getting.

antman_2 - I would like to go back to my original question - What is it you want to do via "the link"?

It sounds like you want to mirror the phone on the big screen. If you do it - either HDMI or another link - it will be a great picture - not sketchy. It is just that everything is different & may or may not work. It is sketchy whether or not something is going to work.

I think if you want to big screen an app you have on your phone, see if you can find the same app on the Samsung & apply it directly. The best thing is a browser - Looks like some TVs have one & some do not.

Since they call the software on the Smart TVs apps I guess the operating system is like phones and tablets as opposed to computers?? Looks like an opportunity for a forum on Smart TVs.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7 (479 Views)
Scholar

On the Samsung TV hit the source button then move between sources until you see screen Mirroring.  Click on that just like you would click on the source that your DVD is connected to.  Once you click on the source you have 60 seconds to activate on your phone.  Go to your phone and look for screen mirroring either in settings or on the galaxy phone swipe from the top of the screen that will bring up your current settings and scroll over to screen mirroring and tap on it.  Screen mirroring will pull up the devices connected to the wi-fi.  Your tv should be listed and if you have a Samsung DVD player with the screen mirroring feature your player should also be listed.  Remember that the device must be turned on.  This information works only for Samsung.  But all new cell phones should have a screen mirroring function.  Once it connects you will see your cell phone screen on your tv.  I have not tried the uverse application because I usually stream the through HBO go, Max go etc.  But you should be able to see on your tv anything you do on the cell phone. So if you can activate uverse on your cell phone it will show up on the tv.

I hope this helps.

Message 6 of 7 (450 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

db821arc - Thanks for the complete description. It should help anyone considering purchasing a Smart TV. It is interesting that the mirroring is a base function of the phone. I would have thought it would be a free app that one would have to find. I do not have the mirroring input on my non-Samsung TV. Maybe I will ask if they can add it.

It is something for antman_2 to look for on his TV & ipod. It may be a mismatch on manufacturers/platforms. Samsung says to look for Allshare Cast on the mobile device.

There is another post that mentions Chromecast - I mention it here because some may want to add the smart to their existing TV. The good news is it is only $35 & is touted as the best & cheapest route to smart TV. It plugs in to an HDMI port & accesses the internet wireless.

The bad news is it is sold out & is limited in what it can do. I believe it does not include the mirroring function. On wikipedia there is a matrix of interface & functionality. It is explained on Amazon.

Message 7 of 7 (438 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.