I never thought getting new service would be so complicated

Teacher

I never thought getting new service would be so complicated

I am shocked that trying to schedule new Uverse service at an address that currently has Uverse is so hard to manage. I was told that nothing could be done, even scheduling a date for a technician to come out, until the current owner cancels their service (which could be the day of or before we move in). I was told it could take 3 days before the system would even be updated to show the service cancelled. Then at that time they could tell me when they'd even be available to even come out. So, it sounds like I wouldn't have service until approximately 3-7 days after my move in. Customer service first advised me to contact the current owner and ask them when they are going to cancel, which I cannot do. Then, they offered to contact the current owner to see if they wanted to cancel their service. Obviously that's not a good choice either since I am in the midst of purchasing their home. It's unfortunate that I could call my current provider (Dish), or any other provider for that matter, and have them schedule service at the new address on the date desired with absolutely no issue, but I can't get AT&T to schedule or put in a pending order for that date when there is currently service there. I also asked why a technician needed to go to "install" if the service is existing and asked if they could send me the equipment so that I have it on move in day, basically 'self install.'  But, I was told no because the equipment has to be shipped to the service address.

Is this really what it takes to try and get new service at an address that currently has Uverse? I was interested in trying Uverse and even willing to pay the ETF for my Dish to switch, but now I am debating on if it's even worth it. I've never had any issues with my current AT&T services so this was surprising to me.

Message 1 of 7 (326 Views)
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: I never thought getting new service would be so complicated

Hello @ambero1184 

I'm sorry about your experience, I know it's frustrating, but there are some system limitations that we might not be able to overwrite. The first issue is the installation date, there is no way to have 2 U-Verse account at one residence, even if the service is not installed yet an account must be created, and with another active account at that address, our systems won't let us start a new one (2 accounts at the same time). A second issue is equipment shipping, we can only ship to the service address for security reasons. Please send us a private message by clicking here and our team will be happy to help you find the best available option. Please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7 (287 Views)
Teacher

Thanks. I'll do that. I'm just in awe that for such a large company the systems can't function to allow an appointment or pending order for an active address.
Message 3 of 7 (281 Views)
Employee

ambero1184, to add to what ATTDmitryCM said, as soon as the current residents either call to have their services canceled or put in an order to have their services moved (which sets up cancelation at old address as well as an install at new address), our system instantly recognizes that there is a disconnect order in place and would allow us to complete your order for installation. As far as a tech having to go out, it would depend on what U-Verse services you're wanting. If all you're wanting is internet, then it's possible that we can set up you for a self install if you're getting 12.0 Mbps or lower. Any speeds higher will require a tech. Also, if you're getting tv and/or phone along with that, then that will require a tech as well, but if you are getting tv as well, the installation will be free. The reason you'd be able to move your Dish Network service there without any issue is that their service does not conflict with ours as it's a completely different service.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7 (278 Views)
Teacher

That's different than what I was told speaking with three different people yesterday. They said that nothing could be done until the services were actually cancelled, not scheduled to be cancelled. I even specifically asked that several times with each of the three people I spoke with. So, are you saying that if the current owner calls and says they want the services to be moved/cancelled effective the 27th, I can call before then to have it scheduled for installation on my move in date, the 28th? Obviously my issue is no tv/internet for days. I work from home so I cannot go days without it. I am interested in the double play- U300 with 18mbps.
Message 5 of 7 (266 Views)
Employee

ambero1184 wrote:
That's different than what I was told speaking with three different people yesterday. They said that nothing could be done until the services were actually cancelled, not scheduled to be cancelled. I even specifically asked that several times with each of the three people I spoke with. So, are you saying that if the current owner calls and says they want the services to be moved/cancelled effective the 27th, I can call before then to have it scheduled for installation on my move in date, the 28th? Obviously my issue is no tv/internet for days. I work from home so I cannot go days without it. I am interested in the double play- U300 with 18mbps.

Yes, that is correct. We just have to have the disconnect order in place, the service does not actually have to be disconnected.

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 7 (257 Views)
Teacher

Ok, thanks.
Message 7 of 7 (254 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.