Ask a question

Posted Jan 4, 2014
11:34:18 AM
I miss the old cable days.
As I watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation on IFC I am reminded that IFC once stood for Independent Film Channel, or when Sundance Channel was a premium channel part of Showtime/TMC. Here is what else I miss:
Mtv played music
History had no reality shows
A&E stood for Arts & Entertainment not reality shows
Hln Headlines every 15 minutes
AMC showed classics, not infomercials
Disney Channel was a premium channel
BBC America showed british shows not Star Trek
Discovery was about scientific discovery
TLC stood for The Learning Channel not Cake Boss Channel
G4 was tech tv
Syfy was Scifi
Animal Planet was about animals not treehouses!

I miss the old cable days.

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 11:49:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Just 3-4 years ago, ESPN2 showed outdoors shows on Saturday mornings.

Heck, NBCSN still shows OLN-type programming on occasion.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I miss the old cable days.

2 of 16 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 11:49:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

I don't miss the "old" days of cable, when none of these channels existed - cable TV meant 12 channels, all of them OTA stations, and you changed channels by turning the knob on the VHF tuner.

I also don't miss the mid-1980s of cable too much; where I lived, ESPN was still a premium channel at the time.

3 of 16 (741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 11:58:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That Don Guy wrote:

I don't miss the "old" days of cable, when none of these channels existed - cable TV meant 12 channels, all of them OTA stations, and you changed channels by turning the knob on the VHF tuner.

I also don't miss the mid-1980s of cable too much; where I lived, ESPN was still a premium channel at the time.

You had 12 over the air channels?  You were lucky!!!  We only had NBC, CBS, ABC, and our local PBS station. :-( 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 16 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 12:10:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

BeeBeeSA wrote:
You had 12 over the air channels?  You were lucky!!!  We only had NBC, CBS, ABC, and our local PBS station. :-( 

In addition to those four, I got three local independents (two of which are now Fox and CW affiliates), and five stations from neighboring cities - at one time, I had three ABC stations (San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento).

One of the stations was originally UHF channel 44, which got put on channel 12 on most cable systems in the area.  Even today, it advertises itself as "cable channel 12" - but on U-Verse, it's channel 44!

5 of 16 (729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 12:40:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

I agree with a couple of things.  MTV and Disney used to be great channels but now they are both pure crap!  Maybe it is because they are now broadcasting programs for anew generation of youngsters and the nw generation is not like mine.  But I think that MTV shold introduce MTV Classic, a channel that shows nothing but classic music videos from the 80s and 90s.  That would be sweet.  VH1 Classic used to be like this, but it has strayed from it!  When I was a kid, Disney Channel showed old Disney cartoons with Mickey, Donald and the gang!  It would be great if Disney Classic, which showed old Dosney cartooms, was introduced as a channel!

6 of 16 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 2:29:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Cody -- I think you would have enjoyed MTVX. I wish I had that in my area, but I never did. I didn't even get MTV2 until that went downhill.

7 of 16 (691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 2:48:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by codycooper864 on Jan 4, 2014 at 2:48:47 PM

I had Dish Network back in the days of MTVX. They never carried it.  Pity.

[ Edited ]
8 of 16 (684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 4:48:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I miss 1st run movies (Premier) on HBO Friday nights

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

9 of 16 (660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 4:35:17 AM
(0)
Professor

AMEN

10 of 16 (627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 8:01:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I miss old-school Nick with the wacky games. I didn't get Nick GAS until it was only showing 4-5 different shows. One of them was the videogame show than only aimed at 4am. I didn't have DVR then. Smiley Sad

11 of 16 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 8:08:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

One big one for me: I miss the days when the phrase, "CNN BREAKING NEWS" meant something actually important was happening.

It may be hard to believe for those too young to remember but before the OJ Trial and the eventual leaving of Ted Turner, CNN used to be worth watching. 

12 of 16 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 8:34:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bailorg wrote:

One big one for me: I miss the days when the phrase, "CNN BREAKING NEWS" meant something actually important was happening.

It may be hard to believe for those too young to remember but before the OJ Trial and the eventual leaving of Ted Turner, CNN used to be worth watching. 

Yes it used to actually report the news, not that some celebrity is sleeping around with this person or this athlete is entering rehab for addiction to pain meds.  News channels aren't news anymore.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

13 of 16 (591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 12:47:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I miss a lot of what the OP misses, including ESPN showing off the beaten path, sports.  Now it's like NCAA Basketball: some 3-15 team taking on a 9-9 team from some tiny regional conference.  Yecch!

I do not miss non-cable ready VCR's, however - and VCR's in general. Smiley Very Happy

14 of 16 (511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 1:17:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

oufanindallas wrote:

bailorg wrote:

Yes it used to actually report the news, not that some celebrity is sleeping around with this person or this athlete is entering rehab for addiction to pain meds.  News channels aren't news anymore.

I thought the day when CNN provided wall-to-wall coverage of Anna Nicole Smith's passing showed how far CNN fell as a news channel.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

15 of 16 (506 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 1:24:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

That Don Guy wrote:

He's talking about when the cable networks were good networks, when they used to provide the type of shows that would fit into their original mission.  He's not talking about the very early days of cable when there was nothing on and that cable was known for good reception only.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

16 of 16 (501 Views)