I keep seeing banner ad for Amazon.co.jp in Amazon.com

Teacher

I keep seeing banner ad for Amazon.co.jp in Amazon.com

Ever since the beginning of this year, I kept seeing a banner ad for Amazon.co.jp on Amazon.com.

I live in California and my IP address pinpoints my location to California. I do not use any proxies. I've tried my friend's computer, my computer at work, and my local library's computers. None of them show this banner ad. Every device on my home network (notebook, TV, desktop PC) show this banner ad on Amazon.com. What is it about my IP address that is making Amazon.com think I live in Japan or want to shop at amazon.co.jp?

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Master

Re: I keep seeing banner ad for Amazon.co.jp in Amazon.com

Try clearing your cache and cookies.  I just ordered a new laptop from Toshiba (on-line) and it was shipped from China.  Everytime I opened internet explorer I would get www.toshiba13.msn.com and all kinds of other weird anomalies.  I ended up deleting everything I could in "browsing history" and that fixed it.  Try it and see if that helps. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

It may not be your IP address.  It could be some other site you visited or some search you did.  I have started to see ads pop up for the services offered by a site on the sides of AOL mail (for example) after having visited that site directly.  I have gotten e-mails from Amazon offering to sell me stuff that I searched for in Google.

Big Brother is watching you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Community Support

Hi MikeW1911,

Hopefully, the information provided to you got everything cleared up. I remember I ran into a similar issue when I was searching for a Japanese product and all of a sudden, Amazon and other sites think I need other Japanese things to accompany my one time purchase. But a few things worth trying to isolate what is causing the problem, if not resolved yet, is to try with a different browser. If it does not happen on the other browser, then the information BeeBeeSA and JefferMC provided are accurate. Also, trying with a different device, such as another computer, or even a cell phone. If it happens only on one device, you can assume that only that one computer got infected, and it may even be malware instead of just cookies.

Let us know how it goes!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 9
Teacher

The banner shows on all browsers installed on my computer: Chrome, Firefox, and IE9.  I've scanned my computer with Kaspersky Internet Security, MalwareBytes, and Microsoft malicious software removal tool and come up clean.

If I set up a proxy with an IP address from a different state, like Texas, for example, the banner ad doesn't show. Let me know if you guys need more info.

Message 5 of 9
Community Support

Thank you for that information. It does appear that for some reason, your computer's geolocation may be causing those ads, but I do not understand why it would be directing you to the Japanese portion of the site.

By chance do you have another computer in the house to test it with also?

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9
Teacher

Hi David,

It is not redirecting me to the japanese version of Amazon; rather, it keeps showing a banner ad that advertises Amazon.co.jp. The banner ad displays right under the product search on the front page of the US Amazon.

As I said in my OP, I have also tested on my TV's internet browser and my notebook with the same results.

Message 7 of 9
Community Support

Sorry about that. I see that you clearly stated that and have tried a lot of different things. I am pretty sure this will not accomplish anything, since I am assuming you did not login when you tested on your TV, but is it possible to see if the ad changes when you are logged in vs logged out? Mine does. Also, another thing to try is changing your profile information.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 9
Former Employee

Hi MikeW1911, if you don't have any special settings on your gateway, I suggest you do a factory reset on it by pressing and holding the red reset button at the back for 10 seconds. I was guessing that it's a malicious program in your computer that you need to uninstall but you said that even your other devices, even the TV browser, yield the same results. All that I can think of now is the gateway.

Let us know here what happens. Thanks.
Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support