Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 14, 2013
1:20:35 AM
View profile
I have my own wifi equipment
Edited by jimwilliams57 on Jul 14, 2013 at 1:42:52 AM

I have ordered uverse for TV and Internet.  My house has a wired network installed, with an existing wifi access point.  I have a very specific location where I expect the uverse Internet to connect to my network that is not near any of my tvs.  Everything I have read indicates that AT&T will provide a wireless router.  Have I made a mistake by ordering uverse?  Can I get a wired router instead?  If not, I will have to cancel my order and reluctantly stay with my current ISP.

ALos, how does uverse connect to the tvs?  I only have coax running to the tvs now. The coax also runs to my existing cable modem for Internet access. Can this be used to connect to the tvs?

i also have a third party VOIP phone service. Does the AT&T router have QoS that will give phone priority access to the interment?

I have ordered uverse for TV and Internet.  My house has a wired network installed, with an existing wifi access point.  I have a very specific location where I expect the uverse Internet to connect to my network that is not near any of my tvs.  Everything I have read indicates that AT&T will provide a wireless router.  Have I made a mistake by ordering uverse?  Can I get a wired router instead?  If not, I will have to cancel my order and reluctantly stay with my current ISP.

ALos, how does uverse connect to the tvs?  I only have coax running to the tvs now. The coax also runs to my existing cable modem for Internet access. Can this be used to connect to the tvs?

i also have a third party VOIP phone service. Does the AT&T router have QoS that will give phone priority access to the interment?

I have my own wifi equipment

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 3:41:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
jimwilliams57 - U-verse has lots of either/or flexibility. You are probably seeing just one side of each possibility.

The U-verse wireless is best described as capable or available - enabled or disabled by a click of a button.

U-verse TV is designed to be distributed in various wire configurations to match what is found in place. Since most people are coming from cable, COAX is the most common.

Many customer use third party VOIP, both commercial and private.
jimwilliams57 - U-verse has lots of either/or flexibility. You are probably seeing just one side of each possibility.

The U-verse wireless is best described as capable or available - enabled or disabled by a click of a button.

U-verse TV is designed to be distributed in various wire configurations to match what is found in place. Since most people are coming from cable, COAX is the most common.

Many customer use third party VOIP, both commercial and private.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I have my own wifi equipment

2 of 3 (379 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 12:14:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

While they may not have the new NVG589's in stock yet, it sure wouldn't hurt to request one when the tech arrives at your home.  Especially since you have your own wireless router.  The NVG589 is Gigabit Ethernet (Finally!), 802.11N (Finally!), and bridgeable so you can easily use your own wireless router without jumping through hoops and taking a trip through networking Hades (Finally!)...

While they may not have the new NVG589's in stock yet, it sure wouldn't hurt to request one when the tech arrives at your home.  Especially since you have your own wireless router.  The NVG589 is Gigabit Ethernet (Finally!), 802.11N (Finally!), and bridgeable so you can easily use your own wireless router without jumping through hoops and taking a trip through networking Hades (Finally!)...

Re: I have my own wifi equipment

3 of 3 (288 Views)