I have a Dell Windows XP that won't connect to my new AT&T Uverse. The IPad does.

Contributor

I have a Dell Windows XP that won't connect to my new AT&T Uverse. The IPad does.

I can't connect my new ATT Uverse modem to my wired Dell Windows XP, but the IPad is connected. The ATT tech support said they have problems with Dell. Can you help or do I  need another brand to connect with the Internet?

Message 1 of 9 (1,898 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: I have a Dell Windows XP that won't connect to my new AT&T Uverse. The IPad does.

Is the router close enough to plug it in directly?  If you want to go wireless you can get something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-A6200-WiFi-USB-Adapter/21345677 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (1,893 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: I have a Dell Windows XP that won't connect to my new AT&T Uverse. The IPad does.

What problems are you having?  WIll it not connect at all?  WIll it connect, but it is not getting an IP Address from DHCP?  Is it getting a valid IP Address, but it can't resolve any internet servers?

I seem to recall that I used to have issues with Dell computers runnign XP not always getting an IP Address from DHPC, and when that would happen, I would have to force the adapter to use a static address, then switch it back to DHCP.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (1,865 Views)
Contributor

I have an acer laptop, we just installed wireless.....my roommates computer ci nnected fine, but mine will not. I have 5 green bars and it says its connected, but willnot give me internet access. Its quite pperplexing. I've tried changing settings on my laptop.....to no avail!! I don't understand why I can't connect if it shows I'm connected!!!! I've called technical support and they were absolutely no help at all....it seems ATT should have more knowledgeable tech support people. PLEASE HELP!!! ANYONE????
Message 4 of 9 (1,853 Views)
Contributor

↑↑ My laptop runs XP as well.
Message 5 of 9 (1,851 Views)
ACE - Master

Take a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 6 of 9 (1,845 Views)
ACE - Master

The one thing that I have seen with XP more than with any other OS is that it seemd to have issues with DHCP.  For some reason it will not get an IP address from DHCP and it will assign itself a "private address" (169.x.x.x).  WHen this happens it almost never corrects itself, and I have had to go assign a static IP address and save that, then go back in and re-assign it to use DHCP.  This usually resolves the problem for me, and it seems to work all the time as long as the computer has worked properly before.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 7 of 9 (1,828 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

buzzi666 wrote:
I have an acer laptop, we just installed wireless.....my roommates computer ci nnected fine, but mine will not. I have 5 green bars and it says its connected, but willnot give me internet access. Its quite pperplexing. I've tried changing settings on my laptop.....to no avail!! I don't understand why I can't connect if it shows I'm connected!!!! I've called technical support and they were absolutely no help at all....it seems ATT should have more knowledgeable tech support people. PLEASE HELP!!! ANYONE????

This may just be a wild guess, but you might try inputting your wireless key again.  For WPA/WPA2, the key is Case Sensitive.  It is not uncommon if the key is mistyped, for wireless to show connected with good signal strength, but not have internet access.  A good way to verify this is the issue would be to look at the details of your wireless network adaptor.  If there are a lot of packets sent, but none revieved, it is a good indication that the key is incorrect.

Message 8 of 9 (1,819 Views)
Teacher

I have the same problem.  I give up.  Start drinking heavily.

Message 9 of 9 (1,786 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.