I had DSL service, used Security suite, then moved to u-Verse

Tutor

I had DSL service, used Security suite, then moved to u-Verse

I have had ATT service with DSL service then I bought ATT U-Verse service.

Now when I go to download the security suite it gives a notice that I have already downloaded and installed it.

I have tried on my own to install M Acffie to no avail.  Chated with an agent, but had to reboot, and lost the chat.

I cancelled the DSL account and now have a U-Verse account.  I want to be protected. Can someone help me?

Dale

Message 1 of 8 (541 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: I had DSL service, used Security suite, then moved to u-Verse

Delete the McAfee from your computer and load Microsoft Security Essentials.  It's free and not such a resource hog.  You can download it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (519 Views)

I have nothing against Microsoft Security Essentials...I use it myself..but be aware that the MS Firewall, while it defaults to blocking all incoming packets...it doesn't default to blocking all outgoing packets. They make it easy for programs that you install to access incoming so that's no problem but since nothing is blocked outgoing...any program on your computer (ie: malware...trojans...phone home) can connect your computer to the outside. Just try running grc.com leaktest. Leak test is like a trojan tool that Steve Gibson of Security Now provides for free that you use to test your firewall. You download it and then run it. It is not a real trojan in the sense that some malicious hacker is using it to compromise your computer. You, in this case, are acting like the hacker and launching it against yourself...but with only the intent of testing your firewall...nothing more. It doesn't do anything more than that. Anyway, this test shows that Microsoft Firewall doesn't automatically block anything from getting out of your computer. Many other programs, even free ones, default to block outgoing packets and alert you to that it hasn't been allowed. You can, however, proactively block outgoing packets by configuring the Window Security Firewall but it may be tricky for some people.
Message 3 of 8 (497 Views)

Often though, with those firewalls that are proactively defaulting to blocking both incoming and outgoing packets...they throw up a pop-up telling you what is trying to come or go and you have to accept or deny access. Problem is that most people have no idea weather they should allow access or deny access to these popups. So, if you always, or even sometimes, take the position that you should click accept then you may as well not even have a firewall.
Message 4 of 8 (493 Views)

You can use an IDS/NIDS like Snort (snort dot org) , for example, but that is rather tricky to set up and it is not a firewall....it doesn't block anything...it just alerts you that something fishy is going on based upon various rules that you can either download or create yourself. You will know when someone is trying to attack you or when someone already has attacked you. Otherwise, the only other way you will know if someone planted malware on your computer is when things start to act funny...and most really good malware won't make your computer make you think it is even on your system...remains undetected...even rootkits.
Message 5 of 8 (490 Views)
Tutor

Thank you for the advice. I have uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus (think I will look for the remove Norton tool )
I will go ahead and install Microsoft Security Essential.
With my new contract with ATT they should reset MacAfee Anti Virus, but guess not.
Message 6 of 8 (471 Views)
ACE - Expert

NoFSTV-LinkTV-RT-NoDeal wrote:
Often though, with those firewalls that are proactively defaulting to blocking both incoming and outgoing packets...they throw up a pop-up telling you what is trying to come or go and you have to accept or deny access. Problem is that most people have no idea weather they should allow access or deny access to these popups. So, if you always, or even sometimes, take the position that you should click accept then you may as well not even have a firewall.

If you're getting any of those, it's time to scan the whole disk and remove what's causing the pop-up messages.

Personally I put my protections in MS Essentials, free Zone Alarm and a Hosts file from here:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8 (445 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

dalemay1 wrote:
Thank you for the advice. I have uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus (think I will look for the remove Norton tool )
I will go ahead and install Microsoft Security Essential.
With my new contract with ATT they should reset MacAfee Anti Virus, but guess not.

AT&T does provide McAfee for free with U-verse.  Log in with your credentials that you use with U-verse and download that software, if you wish.  However, I agree with those that recommend that you use MSE instead.

Message 8 of 8 (394 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.