I am out of ethernet ports on my router

Contributor

I am out of ethernet ports on my router

I am trying to add a personal cloud storage device to my home network.  However, all 4 ports on my router are already being used.  One of the ports is being used by the STB near the router.  Can I use a coax splitter with one going to router and one going to the STB?

If not, any suggestions on how to reconfigure and gain another ethernet input?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9 (5,378 Views)
Expert

Re: I am out of ethernet ports on my router

You can use the ethernet port on the back of your STBs or you can buy an ethernet hub to use.  Others will be along to offer suggestions in addition to these two.

Message 2 of 9 (5,373 Views)
Mentor

I ran out of ports also.. All you need is ethernet switch. I'm using a  Netgear Fast Ethernet switch with 5 ports. Well 4 if you count having to use one to connect to the  ATT gateway

Message 3 of 9 (5,358 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Guru

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9 (5,353 Views)
Master

Jeffster_1 wrote:

Here is what you need Netgear GS105 ProSafe 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch

I will second this and if you can't find this make sure its 802.1p on the ones available in your area or you will experience issues.

Message 5 of 9 (5,331 Views)
Contributor

Thank you for confirming this will work, I need the same thing.  What is 802.1P and on the link it references an Unmanaged and Unmanaged + plus version.  Which do I need?

Message 6 of 9 (5,148 Views)

The Netgear hub will work excellently, i have 3 of that exact model in my household.

I think the previous user was perceiving that you were using wifi and you had used all of your wifi ports Smiley Happy

Just to clarify this user has ran out of physical ethernet ports.

Message 7 of 9 (5,137 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Once you plug in your Netgear switch DO NOT put any of the Set top boxes or DVR on the Netgear switch.  The UVerse TV is multicast so if you have have a TV and a computer on the Netgear switch then the LAN port on the RG will be sending mulitcast traffic through the Netgear switch which is unnecessary traffic for the other non-TV devices on the switch.

I left my TV's on the Uverse gateway and moved my computers and xbox to the new switch.  It doesn't matter which Uverse gateway port you use to connect the new switch.

I've had good luck with the netgear products.  I've bought my online from an authorized reseller (like netguardstore.com)

Some switches have firmware (make sure your firmware is up-to-date before you deploy the switch)

I used a Netgear GS105e because it has "Multicast Efficiency: IGMP snooping, v1, v2 and v3".  I'm not a big network guy but I think that would allow me to have the TV's and computers on the same switch and the GS105e would know not to flood the computer with the Multicast traffic that the TV set-top boxes use.  If going with GS105 then you should keep the TV and non-TV traffic physically seperated between the RG and Netgear switch.

The GS105e is about $20 more than the GS105.

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged-plus/gigabit-plus-switch.aspx#tab-techsp...

Message 8 of 9 (5,118 Views)
Master

jhutchwi2 wrote:

Thank you for confirming this will work, I need the same thing.  What is 802.1P and on the link it references an Unmanaged and Unmanaged + plus version.  Which do I need?

In a nutshell it gives priority to video so as not to interfer with multicasting that Uverse uses.

Message 9 of 9 (5,082 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.