Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 3, 2013
5:23:02 PM
View profile
I am a teacher and want to share a program with my class. How can I get a copy to use this way?

I am a teacher and want to share a program with my class. How can I get a copy to use this way?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 5:30:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There could be a variety of ways depending on the program and network it aired on. 

A little more detail would be helpful, such as the name of the show...

There could be a variety of ways depending on the program and network it aired on. 

A little more detail would be helpful, such as the name of the show...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I am a teacher and want to share a program with my class. How can I get a copy to use this way?

2 of 6 (315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 11:22:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It is possible that because of DRM restrictions you would not be able to record it.  But you can try recording the program on a vcr or dvd recorder.  If there is a restriction it will show up on your screen.  Check your PMs.

It is possible that because of DRM restrictions you would not be able to record it.  But you can try recording the program on a vcr or dvd recorder.  If there is a restriction it will show up on your screen.  Check your PMs.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I am a teacher and want to share a program with my class. How can I get a copy to use this way?

3 of 6 (260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 12:30:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you have a Slingbox, you can record the Show then through an internet connection or phone you can watch anything you have on your tv/dvr.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

If you have a Slingbox, you can record the Show then through an internet connection or phone you can watch anything you have on your tv/dvr.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

4 of 6 (252 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 12:31:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

It depends on what you mean  by "copy".  I assume you want to do something like record a show onto a DVD.

While it may be possible to record directly to a DVD Recorder (I have had mixed success - sometimes, it works, although the picture is surrounded by black bars; sometimes, the recorder can't convert the HD signal to SD properly), what I do is, I use a Hauppauge HD PVR to copy the signal to my computer, but even then, I still need software to convert the file to a DVD image, and to burn the image onto an actual DVD.  No, it's not easy.

It depends on what you mean  by "copy".  I assume you want to do something like record a show onto a DVD.

While it may be possible to record directly to a DVD Recorder (I have had mixed success - sometimes, it works, although the picture is surrounded by black bars; sometimes, the recorder can't convert the HD signal to SD properly), what I do is, I use a Hauppauge HD PVR to copy the signal to my computer, but even then, I still need software to convert the file to a DVD image, and to burn the image onto an actual DVD.  No, it's not easy.

5 of 6 (251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 6:32:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

RCSMG wrote:

According to a PBS FAQ about "public" broadcasts, there is some wiggle room. I don't know if this only applies to over-the-air stations (local PBS, ABC, etc) or is inclusive of cable.

>>Teachers   have rights to record any broadcast off television (any station) and use the   recording for the next 10 days in the classroom, under the Fair Use   Guidelines of United States Copyright Law.<<

If the program has been flagged as Cable in the Classroom (CiC), a teacher should be able to show it without any restrictions. PBS has a selection of programs flagged with Educational Rights (ER) that extend beyond the 10-day window as well.

If the OP wanted to know how to obtain a physical copy to bring in, I would consider reaching out to the station for additional information.

CiC info can be found here:

http://www.ciconline.org/

PBS ER info can be found here:

http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/help/

RCSMG wrote:

According to a PBS FAQ about "public" broadcasts, there is some wiggle room. I don't know if this only applies to over-the-air stations (local PBS, ABC, etc) or is inclusive of cable.

>>Teachers   have rights to record any broadcast off television (any station) and use the   recording for the next 10 days in the classroom, under the Fair Use   Guidelines of United States Copyright Law.<<

If the program has been flagged as Cable in the Classroom (CiC), a teacher should be able to show it without any restrictions. PBS has a selection of programs flagged with Educational Rights (ER) that extend beyond the 10-day window as well.

If the OP wanted to know how to obtain a physical copy to bring in, I would consider reaching out to the station for additional information.

CiC info can be found here:

http://www.ciconline.org/

PBS ER info can be found here:

http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/help/

6 of 6 (215 Views)