Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 11, 2013
2:17:00 PM
View profile
How to us "Windows Fax and Scan" w/ U-verse?

I used to be able to use Windows Fax and Scan until I upgraded my OS to Windows 8.1 and ISP to U-Verse from AT&T DSL.  I went through extensive testing with Microsoft's Windows experts and they left me with the conclusion that it's my ISP that's causing the problems.  I can exercise Windows Fax and Scan and it will get a dial tone, call out, connect and apparently drop the call during the handshake.  My previous DSL connection was hard wired but since AT&T couldn't run a new line to my desktop for the Gateway, I'm now using a WiFi connection via a D-Link module provided by AT&T.  I have been in contact with AT&T numerous times to no avail.  They say I need to have the gateway reconfigured or a second phone line installed to facilitate faxing.  I have trouble accepting this theory but am waiting for them to do something.  I would be willing to go back to DSL if that's what it takes.  Any thoughts on this?

JJSteffo

I used to be able to use Windows Fax and Scan until I upgraded my OS to Windows 8.1 and ISP to U-Verse from AT&T DSL.  I went through extensive testing with Microsoft's Windows experts and they left me with the conclusion that it's my ISP that's causing the problems.  I can exercise Windows Fax and Scan and it will get a dial tone, call out, connect and apparently drop the call during the handshake.  My previous DSL connection was hard wired but since AT&T couldn't run a new line to my desktop for the Gateway, I'm now using a WiFi connection via a D-Link module provided by AT&T.  I have been in contact with AT&T numerous times to no avail.  They say I need to have the gateway reconfigured or a second phone line installed to facilitate faxing.  I have trouble accepting this theory but am waiting for them to do something.  I would be willing to go back to DSL if that's what it takes.  Any thoughts on this?

JJSteffo

How to us "Windows Fax and Scan" w/ U-verse?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 2:32:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
JJSteffo - Maybe ask microsoft if F&S is compatible with VOIP. U-verse voice is VOIP.

F&S needs a tel line to dial out. It uses your tel modem in the computer, not a network connection. Try connecting the tel modem in the computer directly to the tel jack in the U-verse modem.

That should work. If it does not you can return to a POTS line with U-verse. A second u-verse voice line would have the same VOIP characteristic as the first line. The only reason for going to second line would be if you received a lot of faxes & wanted auto operation that does not need to mix voice & fax calls.
JJSteffo - Maybe ask microsoft if F&S is compatible with VOIP. U-verse voice is VOIP.

F&S needs a tel line to dial out. It uses your tel modem in the computer, not a network connection. Try connecting the tel modem in the computer directly to the tel jack in the U-verse modem.

That should work. If it does not you can return to a POTS line with U-verse. A second u-verse voice line would have the same VOIP characteristic as the first line. The only reason for going to second line would be if you received a lot of faxes & wanted auto operation that does not need to mix voice & fax calls.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How to us "Windows Fax and Scan" w/ U-verse?

2 of 5 (346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 7:22:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I do have my PC plugged into a U-Verse phone line but not directly into the gateway.  AT&T had to locate the gateway on another floor of my house due to wiring constraints so I'm using WiFI for my desktop with U-Verse.  I can hear F&S dial out and connect but it doesn't transmit after the handshake.  I realize another line will probably only give me the same result.  I told AT&T if switching to U-Verse takes away the functionality I had with DSL, I don't want to keep it.  I'm waiting for their solution. 

Thanks for the reply.

I do have my PC plugged into a U-Verse phone line but not directly into the gateway.  AT&T had to locate the gateway on another floor of my house due to wiring constraints so I'm using WiFI for my desktop with U-Verse.  I can hear F&S dial out and connect but it doesn't transmit after the handshake.  I realize another line will probably only give me the same result.  I told AT&T if switching to U-Verse takes away the functionality I had with DSL, I don't want to keep it.  I'm waiting for their solution. 

Thanks for the reply.

3 of 5 (325 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 7:51:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
JJSteffo - I agree it sounds like it is not working after the tel connection is completed. However, I do not like talking myself out of finding a problem. I would really make an effort to try it direct wired, just to eliminate any problem with the house wiring.

What are the possible mismatches for the handshake failing. Could it be the frequency does not pass through the VOIP?

It is only the switch to u-verse voice that is a possible problem with the F&S. The return is to POTS. Return to DSL may not be possible & if possible would be based on the u-verse internet not working.
JJSteffo - I agree it sounds like it is not working after the tel connection is completed. However, I do not like talking myself out of finding a problem. I would really make an effort to try it direct wired, just to eliminate any problem with the house wiring.

What are the possible mismatches for the handshake failing. Could it be the frequency does not pass through the VOIP?

It is only the switch to u-verse voice that is a possible problem with the F&S. The return is to POTS. Return to DSL may not be possible & if possible would be based on the u-verse internet not working.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 11:58:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Actually, this is not an AT&T issue, it is a Windows 8.1 issue.  

I ran into the same exact problem.  Luckily, I have a desktop that has Windows 7 on it.  I can fax with no issue from that one, however, could not with Windows 8.1

I came accross this information that solved the issue for me:

http://aztcs.org/meeting_notes/winhardsig/win8.1/fax-fix-win8.1.pdf

Actually, this is not an AT&T issue, it is a Windows 8.1 issue.  

I ran into the same exact problem.  Luckily, I have a desktop that has Windows 7 on it.  I can fax with no issue from that one, however, could not with Windows 8.1

I came accross this information that solved the issue for me:

http://aztcs.org/meeting_notes/winhardsig/win8.1/fax-fix-win8.1.pdf

5 of 5 (219 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments