Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 27, 2008
6:42:54 AM
View profile
How to unblock outgoing mail port 25 filter to allow sending Yahoo.com email

I cannot send name@yahoo.com email from Outlook Express via the U-verse ATT broadband network. I did some research on the web and found a number of articles talking about ATT blocking outgoing mail send using port 25, as yahoo.com does. To overcome the problem the recommendation is to have ATT remove the port 25 filter/block.

I have called the customer support lime but no one seems to know how to remove the port 25 filter/block on my account and keep on referring me back to Yahoo to sort out the problem.

PLease share how I can send my yahoo.com email from Outlook Express via U-verse ATT broadband

I cannot send name@yahoo.com email from Outlook Express via the U-verse ATT broadband network. I did some research on the web and found a number of articles talking about ATT blocking outgoing mail send using port 25, as yahoo.com does. To overcome the problem the recommendation is to have ATT remove the port 25 filter/block.

I have called the customer support lime but no one seems to know how to remove the port 25 filter/block on my account and keep on referring me back to Yahoo to sort out the problem.

PLease share how I can send my yahoo.com email from Outlook Express via U-verse ATT broadband

How to unblock outgoing mail port 25 filter to allow sending Yahoo.com email

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2008 6:58:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

Here is some help posted in a different thread:

What you probably need to do is change the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server port number from 25 to 587...AT&T blocks port 25.  Generally, you mail hosting service "should" support this.

Oh...that is what I did (not using the provided AT&T email...I have a hosting service with my own domain so my address won't change when I change providers.)  BUT, here is a help page that would help you if you are setting up the "@att.net" address provided:

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=10918

Here is the help page for other mail hosting provider mail servers (port 25 block - use port 587:smileyhappy:

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=4640

(not sure if you need to login to see these pages???)

Here is some help posted in a different thread:

What you probably need to do is change the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server port number from 25 to 587...AT&T blocks port 25.  Generally, you mail hosting service "should" support this.

Oh...that is what I did (not using the provided AT&T email...I have a hosting service with my own domain so my address won't change when I change providers.)  BUT, here is a help page that would help you if you are setting up the "@att.net" address provided:

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=10918

Here is the help page for other mail hosting provider mail servers (port 25 block - use port 587:smileyhappy:

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=4640

(not sure if you need to login to see these pages???)

Re: How to unblock outgoing mail port 25 filter to allow sending Yahoo.com email

2 of 11 (24,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2008 10:27:10 AM
(0)
Mentor
sting, did u talk to tier 1, some cud not help u out, but if u are to call just ask to be trasnferred directely to tier 2 , they can help u out on it, same as what  happened to me when i got that problem , i spend like almost half hour with tier 1 but  with tier 2 i got it only 5 minutes .......thats just in my case ...i dnt know if will work for u .....better to try things than never ......:smileyhappy:
sting, did u talk to tier 1, some cud not help u out, but if u are to call just ask to be trasnferred directely to tier 2 , they can help u out on it, same as what  happened to me when i got that problem , i spend like almost half hour with tier 1 but  with tier 2 i got it only 5 minutes .......thats just in my case ...i dnt know if will work for u .....better to try things than never ......:smileyhappy:

Re: How to unblock outgoing mail port 25 filter to allow sending Yahoo.com email

3 of 11 (24,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2008 4:45:43 PM
(0)
Guru

I called 1800-ATT-2020 and routed to U-Verse Technical Support.

I told then when I had lineshare DSL I had opted out of the port 25 block.

I converted to U-Verse Internet and there is no longer an option op-out

port 25 on the opt-out site.

I told Tech Support I had several NAS hardware devices that email

status messages on a regular basis and use port 25 and there is no

option in their config to override that port.

In about a minute the port 25 block was removed.

QED

I called 1800-ATT-2020 and routed to U-Verse Technical Support.

I told then when I had lineshare DSL I had opted out of the port 25 block.

I converted to U-Verse Internet and there is no longer an option op-out

port 25 on the opt-out site.

I told Tech Support I had several NAS hardware devices that email

status messages on a regular basis and use port 25 and there is no

option in their config to override that port.

In about a minute the port 25 block was removed.

QED

4 of 11 (24,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2008 4:49:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

Please call Uverse Tier 1 and ask to Unblock your SMTP for you to send an email beside the email AT&T provided to you however the block on SMTP is part of securing AT&T members not to limit your capabilities.

Please call Uverse Tier 1 and ask to Unblock your SMTP for you to send an email beside the email AT&T provided to you however the block on SMTP is part of securing AT&T members not to limit your capabilities.

5 of 11 (24,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2011 3:41:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

The process has actually changed for this.  Agents are now required to charge a one-time fee of $29 before removing the SMTP filter from the account.  This filter is used, not only for Member protection as port 25 is vulnerable to spam, but also to keep AT&T's mail servers free of unauthorized bandwidth usage that those spam e-mails use.

That said, some agents will still remove the SMTP filter without the charge, but this is not the correct business procedure.

There are workarounds for this issue in the support forum.

The process has actually changed for this.  Agents are now required to charge a one-time fee of $29 before removing the SMTP filter from the account.  This filter is used, not only for Member protection as port 25 is vulnerable to spam, but also to keep AT&T's mail servers free of unauthorized bandwidth usage that those spam e-mails use.

That said, some agents will still remove the SMTP filter without the charge, but this is not the correct business procedure.

There are workarounds for this issue in the support forum.

6 of 11 (23,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 10:10:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

For anyone dealing with this that has a 3800HGV-B, the router itself has stateful packet inspection and will, by default, block outgoing mail from your server on pretty much whatever port you are using. I use port 26 outbound and it blocked it. A level 2 support tech can access your device and turn it off. In my case, the level 1 support tech told me that the level 2 tech could do nothing about it and tried to get me to call the ConnecTech department, but I insisted on chatting with the level 2 guys. Glad I did as they are just the ones you need to speak to.

I'm still trying to decide if the extra bandwidth is worth having to greatly alter an otherwise well-configured network.

For anyone dealing with this that has a 3800HGV-B, the router itself has stateful packet inspection and will, by default, block outgoing mail from your server on pretty much whatever port you are using. I use port 26 outbound and it blocked it. A level 2 support tech can access your device and turn it off. In my case, the level 1 support tech told me that the level 2 tech could do nothing about it and tried to get me to call the ConnecTech department, but I insisted on chatting with the level 2 guys. Glad I did as they are just the ones you need to speak to.

I'm still trying to decide if the extra bandwidth is worth having to greatly alter an otherwise well-configured network.

7 of 11 (22,455 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 7:39:19 AM
(0)
Expert

malpayne wrote:

The port 25 block is implemented at AT&T's routers, not on the 3800HGV-B.

Attempting to use port 26 for outbound mail will also fail, not because it's blocked, but because the target mail server is not listening on port 26, so it will never make a connection.

malpayne wrote:

The port 25 block is implemented at AT&T's routers, not on the 3800HGV-B.

Attempting to use port 26 for outbound mail will also fail, not because it's blocked, but because the target mail server is not listening on port 26, so it will never make a connection.

8 of 11 (22,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 10:03:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Okay, as far as where it was blocked, yes you are correct. I had been up a long time and and misread the tech's comments. You are, however, incorrect about the delivery of mail on port 26 being impossible "because the target mail server is not listening on port 26, so it will never make a connection". The target server in this case is only configured to accept mail on port 26. You neglected to mention this exception...

Okay, as far as where it was blocked, yes you are correct. I had been up a long time and and misread the tech's comments. You are, however, incorrect about the delivery of mail on port 26 being impossible "because the target mail server is not listening on port 26, so it will never make a connection". The target server in this case is only configured to accept mail on port 26. You neglected to mention this exception...

9 of 11 (22,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 10:20:16 AM
(0)
Expert
If it is a private mail server, then the administrator could configure it to listen for incoming connections on any port, and port 26 is sometimes used for this.

However, standard mail servers on the Internet that accept incoming mail from anyone else must use port 25, as that is the standard for SMTP.

You didn't mention that your target mail server was a private outbound-only server, so the use of port 26 did not make sense.

AT&T does not have any block in place for port 26, and it should work without having AT&T remove anything.
If it is a private mail server, then the administrator could configure it to listen for incoming connections on any port, and port 26 is sometimes used for this.

However, standard mail servers on the Internet that accept incoming mail from anyone else must use port 25, as that is the standard for SMTP.

You didn't mention that your target mail server was a private outbound-only server, so the use of port 26 did not make sense.

AT&T does not have any block in place for port 26, and it should work without having AT&T remove anything.

10 of 11 (22,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 1:04:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you thank you thank you to all those who identified port 587 as the fix for outgoing mail for uverse customers  when not using ATT mail.

Thank you thank you thank you to all those who identified port 587 as the fix for outgoing mail for uverse customers  when not using ATT mail.

11 of 11 (10,805 Views)