How to set up ATT Uverse STB over Ethernet?

Contributor

How to set up ATT Uverse STB over Ethernet?

Hello. I have an AT&T Uverse. The only problem is the room I'm in has no coaxial in the wall. I was wondering how I can connect the STB over Ethernet so I can watch tv. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 6 (1,550 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: How to set up ATT Uverse STB over Ethernet?

If you're able to run an ethernet cabel from the back of the gateway to the STB it should work just like connecting it via coax.

If it's avaliable in your area consider asking for the wireless STB for that room. It works pertty well and you don't need a coax or ethernet plug in that room for it to work.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (1,547 Views)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

If you're able to run an ethernet cabel from the back of the gateway to the STB it should work just like connecting it via coax.

If it's avaliable in your area consider asking for the wireless STB for that room. It works pertty well and you don't need a coax or ethernet plug in that room for it to work.

I've never done that but don;'t think that it's quite that simple.  Doesn't the STB have to be provisioned?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (1,502 Views)
ACE - Professor

dhascall wrote:

americangame wrote:

I've never done that but don;'t think that it's quite that simple.  Doesn't the STB have to be provisioned?

If your STB is already provisioned to work inside of your house you can switch between coax or ethernet for any box.  When we moved around boxes in our house a few month ago we moved some from cat5 to coax and they're still working fine.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 4 of 6 (1,481 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

dhascall wrote:

americangame wrote:

If your STB is already provisioned to work inside of your house you can switch between coax or ethernet for any box.  When we moved around boxes in our house a few month ago we moved some from cat5 to coax and they're still working fine.

Thanks - that is good to know.

Message 5 of 6 (1,460 Views)
ACE - Expert

You may have to reboot the STB and the RG when you move an STB between coax and Ethernet, but that should be the extent of it.

Message 6 of 6 (1,401 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.