How to record and watch shows - need info.

Teacher

How to record and watch shows - need info.

Hello, I'm a new subscriber.

I am under the impression that I have the ability to watch and record up to 4 shows at one time.

Last night however this was not the case!

I have 3 HD shows scheduled to record at 9:00. At this time I was watching another show on a different channel.

When the shows started to record, the TV with the exclamation point symbol came on, basicaly saying I had to watch

a pre-recorded or recording show or stop a recording.

Is this correct?

It seems odd! If I'm getting three streams I should be able to record three shows while watching another live.

Message 1 of 12 (544 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: How to record and watch shows - need info.

eZAK wrote:

Hello, I'm a new subscriber.

I am under the impression that I have the ability to watch and record up to 4 shows at one time.

Last night however this was not the case!

I have 3 HD shows scheduled to record at 9:00. At this time I was watching another show on a different channel.

When the shows started to record, the TV with the exclamation point symbol came on, basicaly saying I had to watch

a pre-recorded or recording show or stop a recording.

Is this correct?

It seems odd! If I'm getting three streams I should be able to record three shows while watching another live.

Were you watching on the TV with the DVR?

The 4th stream can (must) be watched on a STB.  That's why they should always connect the DVR to the LEAST used TV and a STB to the MOST used TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (542 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

eZAK - There are two limits to check -
Currently the DVR is limited to 3 HD the fourth must be SD. Watching on the DVR counts as one recording.
All four streams into the house may not be HD. Check the WAN profile - first number under Menu - options - system options -system resources - streams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12 (541 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for all your replies!

aviewer, Streams: 0 SD / 4 HD (WAN); 1 SD / 3 HD (Ingress)

Not sure what ingress is....

Message 4 of 12 (473 Views)
Teacher

So, to sum it up so far; I CAN watch a SD channel while recording 3 HD shows on DVR box?

If I switch the DVR with an STB I can watch a fourth HD?

At this point AT&T's ads seem a bit misleading.

Message 5 of 12 (468 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

eZAK - Ingress is the DVR. Not 4HD yet. So, you can watch/record 4 HD in the house, but not on the DVR. The fourth HD must be on another STB.

RE:

So, to sum it up so far; I CAN watch a SD channel while recording 3 HD shows on DVR box? YES

If I switch the DVR with an STB I can watch a fourth HD? ON THAT STB (asumes no one needs to watch HD on the DVR wherever it is.)

At this point AT&T's ads seem a bit misleading. I think there is general agreemnet on that. However, It is the sellers business to sell you. So, they will state the best case scenario. Always look for the "up to" words. The inability to concisely describe the level of service starts with the nature of the technology. Because it reuses copper all locations cannot receive the same (highest) level of service. This was much greater difference in the early days. But, that is no excuse for not making a clear statement easily available. Maybe nobody can state it. It has to be experienced.

I think there is another perspective on HD. U-verse was being deployed in parallel with HD. SD was the norm, HD a luxury. This is why the SD channels are in the 1000 range. If at&t realized that HD would deploy so quickly, they could have been a premier HD provider and stated ecerything in HD as the base. SD channels would be 1000 range.

Now it is difficult to make the change.

Message 6 of 12 (464 Views)
ACE - Master

eZAK wrote:

So, to sum it up so far; I CAN watch a SD channel while recording 3 HD shows on DVR box?

If I switch the DVR with an STB I can watch a fourth HD?

At this point AT&T's ads seem a bit misleading.

Your DVR SHOULD have been installed on your LEAST used TV for that very reason.

The ads say "Record 4 shows".  This is true.  They just don't say whether those 4 shows are SD or HD.

Message 7 of 12 (463 Views)
Teacher

"Your DVR SHOULD have been installed on your LEAST used TV for that very reason."

I agree, and had I known before hand, I would have suggested it to the installer (who as very good)
At any rate, It is an easy fix since I have CAT. 5e at each location.
Message 8 of 12 (450 Views)
Teacher

OK, I think I'm getting it.
How about this scenario; I have 1 DVR and 3 STB. I'm recording 3 HD shows on the DVR. Can the STB's each have a different HD channel on and the DVR have a different SD channel? Is It possible? or not?
Message 9 of 12 (447 Views)
ACE - Expert

eZAK - Did you do the math? How many streams enter the house? How many are used by the DVR? How many are left for the other STBs? They could all watch that one.
Message 10 of 12 (444 Views)
ACE - Master

It doesn't matter if you have 10 STBs....you get 4 LIVE streams. 

Message 11 of 12 (428 Views)
Employee

eZak, WAN (0SD/4HD) means on 32M or55M profile as 25 M profile is 1SD/3HD and 19M profile is 2SD/2HD.

The RG (modem) has 4 and only 4 inputs coming into the house, those can all be HD based on your profile.
So you can watch 4 HD programs on 4 different tvs.
Now when you record a program to the DVR, that takes one input.
The DVR has an ingress (input capabilities) of doing 3HD inputs and one SD input.
All set top boxes can only access one input.
So you could record a program on the dvr (1 input) and watch the same program on a different set top box, still only one input (same channel) coming to RG.
So need to track how many recordings and shows being watched at same time, and adjust accordingly.

The ATT advertising is to watch and record 4 (standard) programs at one time,as that is what is available on a standard package.
And this is your initial statement " I am under the impression that I have the ability to watch and record up to 4 shows at one time."
Note the word HD is never used by ATT or in your statement. You purchase an option: upgrade (HD) and are extending that to the ad
This inference is your own not ATTs.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 12 (410 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.