Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 20, 2014
7:37:59 PM
How to filter the TV guide?

I have the new u-verse service which has the 1TB DVR. Want to filter the guide to only show the channels I have ordered. Haven't found an easy way to do this except manually going through one by one unchecking it from the list. Oh and this doesn't carry over to the wireless receiver so I have to repeat the steps there. Is there an easier way? Maybe an online way to setting up the DVR and wireless receiver?

I have the new u-verse service which has the 1TB DVR. Want to filter the guide to only show the channels I have ordered. Haven't found an easy way to do this except manually going through one by one unchecking it from the list. Oh and this doesn't carry over to the wireless receiver so I have to repeat the steps there. Is there an easier way? Maybe an online way to setting up the DVR and wireless receiver?

How to filter the TV guide?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2014 5:13:08 PM
(0)
Explorer

This is the most annoying part of the Uverse service that I've had for the past 5 years or so. It appears that the only way to filter out unwanted channels - as most are - is to go through the lengthy process of eliminating them one-by-one using the remote. There is no streamlined option to do it online. Just when I have the channel lineup set up the way I want it, AT&T adds more unwanted channels, often shopping or foreign language or marketing channels, and I have to go through the lengthy elimination process again. It sure would be helpful if we could customize our channel lineup online, but I guess AT&T is only interested in throwing as much marketing at us as they can, figuring that people are too lazy to go through the current elimination routine.

This is the most annoying part of the Uverse service that I've had for the past 5 years or so. It appears that the only way to filter out unwanted channels - as most are - is to go through the lengthy process of eliminating them one-by-one using the remote. There is no streamlined option to do it online. Just when I have the channel lineup set up the way I want it, AT&T adds more unwanted channels, often shopping or foreign language or marketing channels, and I have to go through the lengthy elimination process again. It sure would be helpful if we could customize our channel lineup online, but I guess AT&T is only interested in throwing as much marketing at us as they can, figuring that people are too lazy to go through the current elimination routine.

Re: How to filter the TV guide?

2 of 8 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2014 5:23:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
dcuser_1 - You can build a custom guide called favorites. You can build up five different ones.
Use the ENTER button to start a guide - third item on the ENTER menu. To add a channel use the first item on the ENTER menu. ENTER button is bottom right.

To view favorites guide - MENU button , down arrow times 2, OK
dcuser_1 - You can build a custom guide called favorites. You can build up five different ones.
Use the ENTER button to start a guide - third item on the ENTER menu. To add a channel use the first item on the ENTER menu. ENTER button is bottom right.

To view favorites guide - MENU button , down arrow times 2, OK
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 8:01:14 AM
(0)
Tutor
@aviewer, aware of the favorites, still doesn't solve the problem that I get tons of channels listed that I don't have as apart of my subscription. Now if att can just show me what I have paid for, then making favorites is the next step to refining it. Either way allowing to be done online rather then with the remote is much easier. Btw, the remote is not working right, its only of those that you have to be close to the unit and press the buttons the multiple times be fore its registered. Which only adds to the frustration.
@aviewer, aware of the favorites, still doesn't solve the problem that I get tons of channels listed that I don't have as apart of my subscription. Now if att can just show me what I have paid for, then making favorites is the next step to refining it. Either way allowing to be done online rather then with the remote is much easier. Btw, the remote is not working right, its only of those that you have to be close to the unit and press the buttons the multiple times be fore its registered. Which only adds to the frustration.

4 of 8 (819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 8:50:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
leadwrist - I am not trying to convince you that favorites is the solution. I am just trying to understand why it is not the solution for you. What is it about favorites that does not satisfy your need for a focused guide? From my perspective, it is exactly what you are asking for. It is for me. What is missing from your perspective?

The new DVR seems to be horribly flaky on the IR. Other STBs have been bad, especially the earlier DVRs. I have had success with the home depot tape & suggested it on other threads. It does not appear to have worked on the new DVR. I suggested a double layer - one horizontal & one vertical. I did not get any feedback on that.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

The only thing I can suggest is to place the DVR on the least used TV. Another STB on the most used TV would operate well. If this problem is so bad and widespread, a&t should be providing a free STB for the user interface until they can get the DVR problem sorted out.
leadwrist - I am not trying to convince you that favorites is the solution. I am just trying to understand why it is not the solution for you. What is it about favorites that does not satisfy your need for a focused guide? From my perspective, it is exactly what you are asking for. It is for me. What is missing from your perspective?

The new DVR seems to be horribly flaky on the IR. Other STBs have been bad, especially the earlier DVRs. I have had success with the home depot tape & suggested it on other threads. It does not appear to have worked on the new DVR. I suggested a double layer - one horizontal & one vertical. I did not get any feedback on that.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications

The only thing I can suggest is to place the DVR on the least used TV. Another STB on the most used TV would operate well. If this problem is so bad and widespread, a&t should be providing a free STB for the user interface until they can get the DVR problem sorted out.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 6:50:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

So before I made further comments I tried out the Favorites feature. As a side note, just receive my replacement STB and so having to do this for the 3rd time, yay. Anyway, I landed up with 174 channels in my favorites view. Which around 10 minutes to do. However the only way to use the favorites list is to press menu and selecting favorites each time. If you press Guide you back to the full 744 enteries and I only care about the 174 of the 744. So though the favorites would work, it's still multi-step process to use. Can't assign the favorites list as my default or bind it to the guide button. Anyway I finally just bit the bullet again and went through all 744, removing all the unwanted channels. That took a while, not like the UI is speedy fast.

As for the IR problem, I received a new STB as I have been experience garbled video and sound on recordings and while they were at it I asked for a new remote. So no more weird IR issues however UI still slow but I figured that is normal.

Interesting enough, it does download your series recording list, so that was nice. Now if only I can get the channel management via a browser then life will be oh so much better.

So before I made further comments I tried out the Favorites feature. As a side note, just receive my replacement STB and so having to do this for the 3rd time, yay. Anyway, I landed up with 174 channels in my favorites view. Which around 10 minutes to do. However the only way to use the favorites list is to press menu and selecting favorites each time. If you press Guide you back to the full 744 enteries and I only care about the 174 of the 744. So though the favorites would work, it's still multi-step process to use. Can't assign the favorites list as my default or bind it to the guide button. Anyway I finally just bit the bullet again and went through all 744, removing all the unwanted channels. That took a while, not like the UI is speedy fast.

As for the IR problem, I received a new STB as I have been experience garbled video and sound on recordings and while they were at it I asked for a new remote. So no more weird IR issues however UI still slow but I figured that is normal.

Interesting enough, it does download your series recording list, so that was nice. Now if only I can get the channel management via a browser then life will be oh so much better.

6 of 8 (698 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 11:17:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

This is just in response to the last part about the noise and picture problems on the STB.  I was in the exact situation and the quality just continued to deteriorate until almost all of the recordings were non functional.  When they came out to take a look they did two things so I'm not sure which one fixed the problem.   1. The reset the gateway.  I have a feeling this probably fixed it because we had to power it down as it was not responding to the reset.  2. They reprovisioned my line.  I don't really know what that entails, but they knew I was upset and didn't want to take the chance of me calling back about the same issue. 

As far as the favorites menu they should really just add a command so that universal remote users can access them directly.   Or I used to have a DirecTV box that would go to favorites if you pressed menu while in the menu.  This really doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem, but clearly they have no intention of fixing it.  Probably because then you would never realise that they added another 27 HSN channels.

This is just in response to the last part about the noise and picture problems on the STB.  I was in the exact situation and the quality just continued to deteriorate until almost all of the recordings were non functional.  When they came out to take a look they did two things so I'm not sure which one fixed the problem.   1. The reset the gateway.  I have a feeling this probably fixed it because we had to power it down as it was not responding to the reset.  2. They reprovisioned my line.  I don't really know what that entails, but they knew I was upset and didn't want to take the chance of me calling back about the same issue. 

As far as the favorites menu they should really just add a command so that universal remote users can access them directly.   Or I used to have a DirecTV box that would go to favorites if you pressed menu while in the menu.  This really doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem, but clearly they have no intention of fixing it.  Probably because then you would never realise that they added another 27 HSN channels.

7 of 8 (541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2014 9:06:48 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:45:07 PM

So quick update on guide, got the favorites setup, got the channel cleaned up so only the shows I get are displayed. Then I moved on to the wireless unite and though I was hoping all will carry over, I'm going to have to now customize that guide and create a favorites on there as well. Sigh. [word filter avoidance]

For the picture issues, I've reset everything, factory defaulted the STB and I'm still having picture and audio kuality...

Just created another topic on it, but here is what I get, random shows show up like this, gotta love the green lines:

So quick update on guide, got the favorites setup, got the channel cleaned up so only the shows I get are displayed. Then I moved on to the wireless unite and though I was hoping all will carry over, I'm going to have to now customize that guide and create a favorites on there as well. Sigh. [word filter avoidance]

For the picture issues, I've reset everything, factory defaulted the STB and I'm still having picture and audio kuality...

Just created another topic on it, but here is what I get, random shows show up like this, gotta love the green lines:

[ Edited ]
8 of 8 (387 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments