Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 2, 2013
11:03:50 AM
How to extend wireless VIDEO signal

How can the range of the wireless video signal be extended to reach a set top receiver located in an area where the signal strength is poor?  I thought about bridging the Uverse RG to another AP located midway between the RG and set top receiver but my other AP does not support WPS.  Is there a work around?

How can the range of the wireless video signal be extended to reach a set top receiver located in an area where the signal strength is poor?  I thought about bridging the Uverse RG to another AP located midway between the RG and set top receiver but my other AP does not support WPS.  Is there a work around?

How to extend wireless VIDEO signal

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 12:27:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
chillywit - Do you have one or two wireless receivers (aka STBs)?

If one, move the WAP closer with a longer cat5 cable from monoprice.com. If two you need to find the sweet spot that works with both STBs.
chillywit - Do you have one or two wireless receivers (aka STBs)?

If one, move the WAP closer with a longer cat5 cable from monoprice.com. If two you need to find the sweet spot that works with both STBs.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How to extend wireless VIDEO signal

2 of 6 (313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 10:19:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have 2 STBs but need POE to reach the sweet spot in between them. I'd really like to know if it's possible to bridge a STB to another AP to extend video range. I don't know how the video signal is handled by the WAP. Would extending WiFi signal for internet also extend video signal strength as well?

I have 2 STBs but need POE to reach the sweet spot in between them. I'd really like to know if it's possible to bridge a STB to another AP to extend video range. I don't know how the video signal is handled by the WAP. Would extending WiFi signal for internet also extend video signal strength as well?

3 of 6 (276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 5:35:28 PM
(0)
Employee
No either hardwire one STB or move WAP halfway between, or hardwire both wifi receivers and eliminate WAP.
No either hardwire one STB or move WAP halfway between, or hardwire both wifi receivers and eliminate WAP.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 7:12:27 AM
(0)
Master

chillywit wrote:

Although the WAPs and wireless STBs use wireless standards, I'm pretty sure their linking and communications are proprietary. More than likely the AT&T WAPs will only accept connections from the AT&T wireless STBs and the wireless STBs will only connect to the AT&T WAPs.

The only way to stay wireless on the STBs is to move the WAP, either with a long ethernet cable from the RG, or an Ethernet over powerline device (EoP).

Or eliminate the wireless STB headaches altogether and use EoP devices for both of your (currently) wireless STBs. Should be able to do that for any where from $60 - $80 bucks for the lower end EoP products.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

chillywit wrote:

Although the WAPs and wireless STBs use wireless standards, I'm pretty sure their linking and communications are proprietary. More than likely the AT&T WAPs will only accept connections from the AT&T wireless STBs and the wireless STBs will only connect to the AT&T WAPs.

The only way to stay wireless on the STBs is to move the WAP, either with a long ethernet cable from the RG, or an Ethernet over powerline device (EoP).

Or eliminate the wireless STB headaches altogether and use EoP devices for both of your (currently) wireless STBs. Should be able to do that for any where from $60 - $80 bucks for the lower end EoP products.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 6 (208 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 7:46:19 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by oz_1 on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:46:57 AM

You can also improve your wireless signal by raising the router /modem along with finding a central location in your home.

You can also improve your wireless signal by raising the router /modem along with finding a central location in your home.

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (205 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments