Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 3, 2013
7:30:19 PM
How to File Complaint About AT&T self-insurance claims managment

I would like to know how to file a complaint regarding AT&Ts insurance claims management company and a field supervisor. Very briefly, my daughter was driving a car owned and insured by me. An out-of-state AT&T service truck didn't realize he was on a one-way street and caused an accident. That's what the police report states, that's what the honest driver told the police officer (until the AT&T supervisor arrived on scene and coached the driver that he was not at fault). The officer on scene explained to the supervisor she was too late because the driver and the evidence supported AT&T's fault. Just a straight-forward traffic accident, no deaths, no catastrophic loss of property. After almost three months of spotty communication, the claims management company (Sedgwick) told me the police report can't be relied on becuase the officer isn't actually there until long after the accident occurred - the accident occured near the center of the city and only a few blocks from the city's main PD office. Today, the claims representative called my daughter and told her the claim was denied because they had decided the driver's statement that he was NOT at fault was correct (regardless of the police report).

It's really disheartening that a huge global company like AT&T condones relatively low-brow insurance agency tactics; I'm well aware this is a tactic employed by some companies in hopes the claimant will give up and go away. No, we weren't claiming any sort of silly massive damages -- just repair the car. My auto insurance and my military retiree medical coverage covered the one ... just one... trip to the doctor for what turned out to be a simple sprained hand.

I have a pdf copy of the official police report and would be happy to send it to whomever would like to review it. So, who do I contact?

I would like to know how to file a complaint regarding AT&Ts insurance claims management company and a field supervisor. Very briefly, my daughter was driving a car owned and insured by me. An out-of-state AT&T service truck didn't realize he was on a one-way street and caused an accident. That's what the police report states, that's what the honest driver told the police officer (until the AT&T supervisor arrived on scene and coached the driver that he was not at fault). The officer on scene explained to the supervisor she was too late because the driver and the evidence supported AT&T's fault. Just a straight-forward traffic accident, no deaths, no catastrophic loss of property. After almost three months of spotty communication, the claims management company (Sedgwick) told me the police report can't be relied on becuase the officer isn't actually there until long after the accident occurred - the accident occured near the center of the city and only a few blocks from the city's main PD office. Today, the claims representative called my daughter and told her the claim was denied because they had decided the driver's statement that he was NOT at fault was correct (regardless of the police report).

It's really disheartening that a huge global company like AT&T condones relatively low-brow insurance agency tactics; I'm well aware this is a tactic employed by some companies in hopes the claimant will give up and go away. No, we weren't claiming any sort of silly massive damages -- just repair the car. My auto insurance and my military retiree medical coverage covered the one ... just one... trip to the doctor for what turned out to be a simple sprained hand.

I have a pdf copy of the official police report and would be happy to send it to whomever would like to review it. So, who do I contact?

How to File Complaint About AT&T self-insurance claims managment

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 7:38:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had to deal with Sedgwick a few years because of damage to my home and car.  They were super nice and accomodating.  I'm sorry to hear you cannot say the same.

You should let your insurance company know what is going on.  If you have to file a claim on your automobile insurance, they (your ins. comp) will have their lawyers deal with getting the money out of Sedgwick.

The only other option I know of would be to hire a lawyer on your own.

I had to deal with Sedgwick a few years because of damage to my home and car.  They were super nice and accomodating.  I'm sorry to hear you cannot say the same.

You should let your insurance company know what is going on.  If you have to file a claim on your automobile insurance, they (your ins. comp) will have their lawyers deal with getting the money out of Sedgwick.

The only other option I know of would be to hire a lawyer on your own.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How to File Complaint About AT&T self-insurance claims managment

2 of 10 (2,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 5:06:14 AM
(0)
Employee

I am assuming this was a head on collision at low speeds?  I have never heard of Sedgewick being hard to deal with. I am a AT&T manager and have had dealings with them on several occasions. 

I am assuming this was a head on collision at low speeds?  I have never heard of Sedgewick being hard to deal with. I am a AT&T manager and have had dealings with them on several occasions. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 10 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 4:59:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
I can definitely confirm that Sedgwick can be hard to deal with. The gentleman I spoke with about my claim yesterday became irate when I suggested that he conference in AT&T to answer a question about my claim telling me "I couldn't tell him how to do his job!". Then, when I asked to speak to his supervisor, he fired off some rude remarks and hung up on me.

I have since been put into contact with his supervisor who has been polite, if not helpful. According to one AT&T technical support escalations person, Sedgwick is involved so that there is a 3rd party to advocate for the claimee, but we know better, don't we?

Why AT&T thinks it is a good idea to pay this other company in lieu of simply being honest and dealing their customer's fairly, I don't know. It is the sort of behavior you expect from health insurance companies and other snake oil salesmen, not a tech/service oriented business.
I can definitely confirm that Sedgwick can be hard to deal with. The gentleman I spoke with about my claim yesterday became irate when I suggested that he conference in AT&T to answer a question about my claim telling me "I couldn't tell him how to do his job!". Then, when I asked to speak to his supervisor, he fired off some rude remarks and hung up on me.

I have since been put into contact with his supervisor who has been polite, if not helpful. According to one AT&T technical support escalations person, Sedgwick is involved so that there is a 3rd party to advocate for the claimee, but we know better, don't we?

Why AT&T thinks it is a good idea to pay this other company in lieu of simply being honest and dealing their customer's fairly, I don't know. It is the sort of behavior you expect from health insurance companies and other snake oil salesmen, not a tech/service oriented business.

4 of 10 (1,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 5:08:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 7, 2013 at 12:00:36 PM

Oh, one tip I can offer... No matter what the guys at AT&T and Sedgwick say about the "rules" preventing them from contacting each other, they are lying. Just keep calling until you get someone at AT&T who will conference you in with Sedgwick. I recommend making sure your Sedgwick representative knows to expect the call.

Remember, Sedgwick is getting paid by AT&T to take you and your claim off their hands, so it is in Sedgwick's interest to tell you that there is nothing AT&T can do to help resolve your claim. They will say this, even though they just got done telling you that AT&T is responsible for approving the claim and that AT&T had the required information that is preventing your claim from being processed. Not particularly logical, is it?

Just keep at it. Call AT&T and escalate

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Oh, one tip I can offer... No matter what the guys at AT&T and Sedgwick say about the "rules" preventing them from contacting each other, they are lying. Just keep calling until you get someone at AT&T who will conference you in with Sedgwick. I recommend making sure your Sedgwick representative knows to expect the call.

Remember, Sedgwick is getting paid by AT&T to take you and your claim off their hands, so it is in Sedgwick's interest to tell you that there is nothing AT&T can do to help resolve your claim. They will say this, even though they just got done telling you that AT&T is responsible for approving the claim and that AT&T had the required information that is preventing your claim from being processed. Not particularly logical, is it?

Just keep at it. Call AT&T and escalate

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (1,881 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 11:29:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 7, 2013 at 12:01:20 PM

Nope, not head-on. Both vehicles were driving the correct direction on the one-way street; the service driver in the right lane and my daughter in the left and behind the truck. The service driver didn't see any oncoming traffic so he turned left for a parking spot (and into my daughter's lane). As the police report noted, the accident occurred when the truck attempted to occupy the space occupied by my daughter's vehicle.

Well, regardless of the police investigation, Sedgwick has decided the accident was my daughter's fault and now wants me to pay for truck repair and lost use of the truck for two days. I've informed my insurance company and filed a complaint with my State Insurance Board. ...heck, all I wanted was for the car to get fixed -- no massive medical claims, nothing -- just fix my car.

Nope, not head-on. Both vehicles were driving the correct direction on the one-way street; the service driver in the right lane and my daughter in the left and behind the truck. The service driver didn't see any oncoming traffic so he turned left for a parking spot (and into my daughter's lane). As the police report noted, the accident occurred when the truck attempted to occupy the space occupied by my daughter's vehicle.

Well, regardless of the police investigation, Sedgwick has decided the accident was my daughter's fault and now wants me to pay for truck repair and lost use of the truck for two days. I've informed my insurance company and filed a complaint with my State Insurance Board. ...heck, all I wanted was for the car to get fixed -- no massive medical claims, nothing -- just fix my car.

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (1,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 9:41:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that.

So their response was "Not only is it not our fault, but you owe us money!"

That is rich.

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that.

So their response was "Not only is it not our fault, but you owe us money!"

That is rich.

7 of 10 (1,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 7:07:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep. Pretty cool. I've turned everything over to my insurance company and my State Insurance Board. Interesting, the only reason I signed on to the forums was so that I could learn how to file a complaint with AT&T about their insurance claims management company. Other than comments from other disgruntled people, I never did get an answer to my question. Big thank you to the mighty AT&T -- of course I didn't think you really cared anyway. ... And they wonder why average folks dislike corporations.

Anyway, I won't be logging on here anymore. Tried to tell you about your questionable business practices. Now, I just believe it's part of your corporate policy. I'm looking forward to transfering all of my accounts to your competitiors. I've already closed my home phone account. I'll be sure to tell other people about my experience with you and how the multi-national company went after my teenage daughter even when local PD said YOUR driver caused an accident!!

Yep. Pretty cool. I've turned everything over to my insurance company and my State Insurance Board. Interesting, the only reason I signed on to the forums was so that I could learn how to file a complaint with AT&T about their insurance claims management company. Other than comments from other disgruntled people, I never did get an answer to my question. Big thank you to the mighty AT&T -- of course I didn't think you really cared anyway. ... And they wonder why average folks dislike corporations.

Anyway, I won't be logging on here anymore. Tried to tell you about your questionable business practices. Now, I just believe it's part of your corporate policy. I'm looking forward to transfering all of my accounts to your competitiors. I've already closed my home phone account. I'll be sure to tell other people about my experience with you and how the multi-national company went after my teenage daughter even when local PD said YOUR driver caused an accident!!

8 of 10 (1,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 7:40:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@USCG RET 

The way to file a complaint would be to click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your issue. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelopein the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

@USCG RET 

The way to file a complaint would be to click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your issue. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelopein the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 10 (1,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 3:29:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

USCG RET wrote:

You knew all along about how to get this resolved: let your insurance company deal with it, which is what you're doing.

There's no reason to take your anger with Sedgwick out on AT&T.

USCG RET wrote:

You knew all along about how to get this resolved: let your insurance company deal with it, which is what you're doing.

There's no reason to take your anger with Sedgwick out on AT&T.

10 of 10 (1,709 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments