Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 12, 2011
8:13:07 AM
View profile
How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

What do I do to change the Primary and Secondary DNS on the 2wire router:  

3801HGV (the new block box).

I know that changing it will degrade my TV performance, but I want to do this as a test.

Roku Netflix streaming 'sucks' on Uverse (at least my installation) - I barely get 2.0 mbps HD service on a 12 mbps subscribed line which makes HD streaming not possible.  Nothing AT&T has done has resolved the issue.  I want to try one more thing to see if I can go outside AT&T's network and connect via Roku's suggested primary and secondary DNS servers.  If that works, then at least we know where the problem is.  If that doesn't work - then I have to switch providers and call it a day.

Thanks for any help.

What do I do to change the Primary and Secondary DNS on the 2wire router:  

3801HGV (the new block box).

I know that changing it will degrade my TV performance, but I want to do this as a test.

Roku Netflix streaming 'sucks' on Uverse (at least my installation) - I barely get 2.0 mbps HD service on a 12 mbps subscribed line which makes HD streaming not possible.  Nothing AT&T has done has resolved the issue.  I want to try one more thing to see if I can go outside AT&T's network and connect via Roku's suggested primary and secondary DNS servers.  If that works, then at least we know where the problem is.  If that doesn't work - then I have to switch providers and call it a day.

Thanks for any help.

How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

35 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2013 7:01:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same here, as soon as my contract is over I am switching back to my local cable company. I am having internal NetBios names collision and I have no control over the DNS, UPNP, and many other settings.

Same here, as soon as my contract is over I am switching back to my local cable company. I am having internal NetBios names collision and I have no control over the DNS, UPNP, and many other settings.

Re: How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

31 of 36 (2,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2013 6:49:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you want control over DNS and uPNP settings, then purchase your own router and place it in the RG's DMZplus configuration.

If you want control over DNS and uPNP settings, then purchase your own router and place it in the RG's DMZplus configuration.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 36 (2,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 6:18:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have DISH for over a decade and like it. FYI. It's cheaper.

I have DISH for over a decade and like it. FYI. It's cheaper.

33 of 36 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 6:24:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

I don't feel you respect the knowlege you have and the years of experience that give you the idea that what you suggest is simple or do-a-ble by people who have other full time occupations and hobbies and demands upon their life.

I don't feel you respect the knowlege you have and the years of experience that give you the idea that what you suggest is simple or do-a-ble by people who have other full time occupations and hobbies and demands upon their life.

34 of 36 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 6:28:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

We have no idea how to read, let alone follow step one. You underestimate your experience and knowlege.

"

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

"

HUH????

We have no idea how to read, let alone follow step one. You underestimate your experience and knowlege.

"

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

"

HUH????

35 of 36 (1,395 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 7:01:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

AllenAllen, then please go use DISH and quit insulting the intellegence of AT&T U-verse users who have posted here looking for help.

AllenAllen, then please go use DISH and quit insulting the intellegence of AT&T U-verse users who have posted here looking for help.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

36 of 36 (1,385 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments