How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

Mentor

How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

What do I do to change the Primary and Secondary DNS on the 2wire router:  

3801HGV (the new block box).

I know that changing it will degrade my TV performance, but I want to do this as a test.

Roku Netflix streaming 'sucks' on Uverse (at least my installation) - I barely get 2.0 mbps HD service on a 12 mbps subscribed line which makes HD streaming not possible.  Nothing AT&T has done has resolved the issue.  I want to try one more thing to see if I can go outside AT&T's network and connect via Roku's suggested primary and secondary DNS servers.  If that works, then at least we know where the problem is.  If that doesn't work - then I have to switch providers and call it a day.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 36 (78,655 Views)
Contributor

Re: How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

Same here, as soon as my contract is over I am switching back to my local cable company. I am having internal NetBios names collision and I have no control over the DNS, UPNP, and many other settings.

Message 31 of 36 (2,969 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you want control over DNS and uPNP settings, then purchase your own router and place it in the RG's DMZplus configuration.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 36 (2,946 Views)
Teacher

I have DISH for over a decade and like it. FYI. It's cheaper.

Message 33 of 36 (1,545 Views)
Teacher

I don't feel you respect the knowlege you have and the years of experience that give you the idea that what you suggest is simple or do-a-ble by people who have other full time occupations and hobbies and demands upon their life.

Message 34 of 36 (1,545 Views)
Teacher

We have no idea how to read, let alone follow step one. You underestimate your experience and knowlege.

"

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

"

HUH????

Message 35 of 36 (1,545 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

AllenAllen, then please go use DISH and quit insulting the intellegence of AT&T U-verse users who have posted here looking for help.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 36 of 36 (1,535 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.