How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

Mentor

How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

What do I do to change the Primary and Secondary DNS on the 2wire router:  

3801HGV (the new block box).

I know that changing it will degrade my TV performance, but I want to do this as a test.

Roku Netflix streaming 'sucks' on Uverse (at least my installation) - I barely get 2.0 mbps HD service on a 12 mbps subscribed line which makes HD streaming not possible.  Nothing AT&T has done has resolved the issue.  I want to try one more thing to see if I can go outside AT&T's network and connect via Roku's suggested primary and secondary DNS servers.  If that works, then at least we know where the problem is.  If that doesn't work - then I have to switch providers and call it a day.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 36 (78,657 Views)
Employee

Re: How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

[ Edited ]
Hi mjz3348,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to the slow speed issue.

From the information which you have provided, it seems you have subscribed to the U-verse service of AT&T.

For assistance with your U-Verse service, we have help available at 1-800-288-2020 which is open 24/7.

Else, you can also contact U-verse chat support by clicking the link below.

We value you as our customer and I would like to assure you that they will do their best to resolve your issue.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 36 (78,431 Views)
Mentor

I have been in contact with tier 2 support and they have already tried several things on their end to no avail.

I just want to know if it is possible to change the DNS server settings (primary & secondary) in the 2Wire box?

Message 3 of 36 (78,422 Views)
Expert

You cannot change the DNS servers on the 2Wire routers.  AT&T U-Verse service uses specific DNS servers that allow the IPTV set-top boxes to find the video servers and other IPTV video services that normal DNS servers do not have records for.

If you want your computers to use different DNS servers, you will have to manually change the DNS servers in the TCP/IP settings on each computer, or use your own router behind the 2Wire router as the DMZ Plus device.

Message 4 of 36 (78,389 Views)
Mentor

I will try setting putting a router behind the 2Wire router and hope it works.

I realize that I would lose uverse IPTV service if I changed the DNS settings in the 2wire box - the change was only for a test.  Setting up another router means I have to go buy one.

Personally - I am thinking of getting direct TV and comcast for internet.  Trying to resolve this problem with Uverse is too difficult.  

Message 5 of 36 (78,345 Views)
Master

mjz3348 wrote:

I will try setting putting a router behind the 2Wire router and hope it works.

I realize that I would lose uverse IPTV service if I changed the DNS settings in the 2wire box - the change was only for a test.  Setting up another router means I have to go buy one.

Personally - I am thinking of getting direct TV and comcast for internet.  Trying to resolve this problem with Uverse is too difficult.  

fwiw

Message 6 of 36 (78,308 Views)
Employee

Just put the recommended DNS addresses on the device you're testing. The DNS in the RG is only passed to devices requesting network config from DHCP.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 36 (78,216 Views)
Tutor

This is a big problem for anyone purchasing AVG Family Safety ($19.99) and hoping to use their Whole Home Filtering services.  In order to do this, the DNS server settings must be manually changed to those listed in AVG Family Safety's User Manual (available for download in pdf format from AVG section 5.17). http://aa-download.avg.com/filedir/doc/OTHERS/Family_Safety/avg_fas_uma_en_2011_02.pdf

I spent a lot of time trying to get this figured out as AVG's instructions are very unhelpful.  Once I figured out I needed to go to http://192.168.1.254 to change my DNS server settings, I found what my current settings were, but there was no option to change them anywhere.  From this forum and others, I've learned that it is not possible.  I don't want to change the settings for each device, that defeats the purpose of parental filtering of any device that connects to my wifi.  

AT&T tech support by phone was completely unhelpful.  The rep wanted me to pay almost $50 to have them change the settings for me/teach me how.  Told me the directions were in my 2WIRE Gateway manual.  wow.  I told her if it was possible to do, I wanted to do it myself and just wanted a link to the instructions.  She could not give me that, only sign me up for a $15 a month plan or make me pay the $50 for the one-time help.  I told her I'd read here that the DNS server settings cannot be changed and she didn't know anything about that, of course.  AT&T could be a bit more forthcoming with this info.  A simple yes or no would suffice but instead she tells me it can be done, but only way to find out how is to pay.  Yeah, I'm sure after 30 more minutes I'd find out that I cannot change it myself but they'd charge me anyway to tell me that because it's not a part of my paid service to have that information or some such nonsense.

AVG Family Safety users be aware- WHF is not an option with AT&T Uverse.

Message 8 of 36 (76,468 Views)
Expert

If you want to use any DNS-based filtering service, like AVG Family or the free OpenDNS (www.opendns.com), you can do it with U-Verse in one of two ways:

1. As you've found out, you can change the DNS server entries on each individual computer.

2. You can set up your own router behind the U-Verse 2Wire router, and then change the DNS entries on it. Some inexpensive home routers are available for around $40.
Message 9 of 36 (76,456 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

3. You can use a different internet service provider that allows you to change your DNS settings.

I tried changing the DNS setting on my iPod Touch, fwiw, and no dice.  Couldn't even get on the net.  And no, I didn't block access to the net during this block of time on the parental controls. Smiley Happy LOL  So, could be a problem with the DNS settings AVG is giving us, or it could be it just doesn't work to change your DNS settings on all devices.

If you pay for AVG Family Safety because they claim it has this feature and they direct you to the company that makes the router, and it's not their problem, either, it isn't nice to find out that AT&T doesn't allow you to change these settings yourself and that you'll have to pay an additional $40 for a router.  Why can't AT&T just make this setting accessible?  

I'm just making sure people know that AVG Family Safety WHF is incompatible with AT&T Uverse.  Without additional $$ spent on an additional party's hardware, it won't work.  Hopefully it will save someone else many hours of wasted time that I spent trying to get this worked out. Other ISP's don't remove this feature from people's router settings so AT&T should train tech support to answer this honestly when someone calls and asks; not squeeze them for paid support.

Message 10 of 36 (76,443 Views)
Tutor

By the way, I wouldn't recommend changing the DNS server setting on each device if it's for parental control.  DNS settings can be changed just as easily as they were set up.

Message 11 of 36 (71,061 Views)
ACE - Expert

rubay wrote:

By the way, I wouldn't recommend changing the DNS server setting on each device if it's for parental control.  DNS settings can be changed just as easily as they were set up.

Well, yes they can.  I would point out that unless you do something to prevent these settings from being changed on each PC by the user you're trying to accomplish filtering for, they could override the DNS settings you put on the router by putting in the settings of their choice on the PC.

Since you would have to prevent the user from changing the settings on the PC to make it secure, it is not any less secure to make the changes on the PC in the first place.  Less convenient, perhaps, but no less secure.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 36 (71,028 Views)
Tutor

This is absolutely ridiculous that I cannot change the DNS settings on my 2Wire router that is used for UVerse!  

I want to use my OpenDNS subcription to block my kids from getting to "bad" web sites from their Macbooks, PCs, iPod touches, Xbox, etc. and I can't do that???

AT&T, this really sucks!! Another reason that I'm going to look to moving to cable (after being with AT&T for over 10 years now).

Message 13 of 36 (70,761 Views)
Teacher

I agree and I just signed up for U-verse. 

Not getting goosebums.

Message 14 of 36 (70,706 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

If you take one additional step its actaully much more secure to make the DNS changes on the router. In addition to changing the DNS addresses your router hands out you need to add a rule in the firewall (most routers have basic firewalls built-in) that blocks all requests to DNS servers that are not the DNS servers you assigned. In this configuration even if the DNS servers are changed on a particular PC no lookups can be preformed. 

This is all a moot point on the Att 2Wire router as it appears it will not allow you to change the DNS settings.

Message 15 of 36 (70,687 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.